Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Just a quick question, where is the quadro installed in the W1? I'll do like @biopunk (see here) and replace the USB cable. I would like to order the right length of cable. (PicoBlade female pre-crimped leads) Thanks
The Slots in the central spine are spaced such that the quadro can be mounted on any 2 adjacent slots. It's mounted on the same side of the spine as the Motherboard, and is somewhat tucked away behind the power supply.

The way you build in Winter One, is you route all cables onto the central spine, and get the terminating ends in position near the power supply, plug them in, and then turn the power supply upward and mount it to the bracket. Placing the power supply and wiring it in are the *last* steps before you complete your build. Leaving it out allows you to manage the cabling really easily. Here, I have a lower and upper cable velcro strip. I could lower the spacing of that strap by 1 and mount the quadro along the top 2 points, or mount it over the fan hub of the GPU exhaust fan.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
The Slots in the central spine are spaced such that the quadro can be mounted on any 2 adjacent slots. It's mounted on the same side of the spine as the Motherboard, and is somewhat tucked away behind the power supply.

The way you build in Winter One, is you route all cables onto the central spine, and get the terminating ends in position near the power supply, plug them in, and then turn the power supply upward and mount it to the bracket. Placing the power supply and wiring it in are the *last* steps before you complete your build. Leaving it out allows you to manage the cabling really easily. Here, I have a lower and upper cable velcro strip. I could lower the spacing of that strap by 1 and mount the quadro along the top 2 points, or mount it over the fan hub of the GPU exhaust fan.

Ok, thanks and yes you need the 2426, I'm waiting for mine at the beginning of March.

Reactions: Goatee

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
You so need a 2426 in there.
Ok, thanks and yes you need the 2426, I'm waiting for mine at the beginning of March.
Is this product about aesthetic choice or is there something practical that I'm missing? I feel like this would help an ultra-slim case where a 24 pin is too chunky, but I think a custom-length 24 pin in the W1 would look very nice and fit easily.

Reactions: Goatee

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
You so need a 2426 in there.
Well, the whole point of this was to show that even with the stock cables, Cable Management in W1 is very possible.

You can have a nice bundle of cables. There's another loop lower on the spine that's hidden because of the way the wires are twisting, but it holds the entire bundle of cabling underneath the power supply, nice and tight, when the power supply is pulled upward, and mounted. (It looks particularly messy because I removed the PSU to show the cabling behind it)

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Is this product about aesthetic choice or is there something practical that I'm missing? I feel like this would help an ultra-slim case where a 24 pin is too chunky, but I think a custom-length 24 pin in the W1 would look very nice and fit easily.

Reduced cable volume (1/4 of the number of cables) giving potentially better airflow through the case as you remove some impedance to airflow caused by the PSU cable loom.

Well, the whole point of this was to show that even with the stock cables, Cable Management in W1 is very possible.

You can have a nice bundle of cables. There's another loop lower on the spine that's hidden because of the way the wires are twisting, but it holds the entire bundle of cabling underneath the power supply, nice and tight, when the power supply is pulled upward, and mounted. (It looks particularly messy because I removed the PSU to show the cabling behind it)
Thats true, however, if you can reduce the number of cables in that loom then its much easier to hide.

Imho custom length cables look way better than M2426.
I'm not going to disagree on your opinion. I like the M2426 and can see the benefit from the reduction in cable volume it provides in cases like this.

Last edited:

jupiterking

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 23, 2020

Will you be posting a new build video with instructions, or will this kind of stuff be covered in the manual?

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Imho custom length cables look way better than M2426.
Imho, from the moment the need to hide the wires is felt for any reason (aesthetic or technical), reducing their number is one of the solutions. I think everyone appreciates modular PSU. But I also understand that they can be highlighted as a form of design.

I confess that I am not sensitive to this kind of ornament. My 2012 Mac Pro is still the computer I liked the most, before I discovered the W1.😍

Forgive me if I don't make myself understood, English is not my mother tongue.

Last edited:

KongCav

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2020
My EK-VTX is pretty much silent (DDC like size). I'm very happy with it :)
Wont be able to fit one of those, but good to know they can be run silently :)

You can still use a DDC or MCP50X without having to use an integrated CPU/pump block. Just be sure to turn it down to around 20-50% power and you’ll be fine.

In stress testing my beta unit I saw no change in temperatures between 100% and 25% power on my MCP50X. Production units will use more restrictive radiators than I did but shouldn’t change too much.

Thanks a lot for the pointer! So I had a look at the MCP50X and that looks promising. I'd love to be able to fit some sort of reservoir with it - the MPC35X won't fit (as far as I can tell), so I'm having a look for another cylindrical res to put in horisontally between the GPU and the side of the case (so it needs to be <35mm width).
Swiftech's MCRES Micro can be probably be packed in there, but god damn is it ugly! 😄

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019

Thanks a lot for the pointer! So I had a look at the MCP50X and that looks promising. I'd love to be able to fit some sort of reservoir with it - the MPC35X won't fit (as far as I can tell), so I'm having a look for another cylindrical res to put in horisontally between the GPU and the side of the case (so it needs to be <35mm width).
Swiftech's MCRES Micro can be probably be packed in there, but god damn is it ugly! 😄
Bitspower (and a few others) have 50mm tube reservoirs that should work.

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018

If I don't manage to fit it standalone, I'll use the aquanaut block with it.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
If you haven't purchased the aquanaut yet and you plan to go cpu-mounted pump, then try for an apogee. It has better temps and the aqua makes me paranoid about leaks popping up in the future. If you're willing to purchase a used aquanaut with a few hours of runtime on it for a nice discount, then ignore what I previously said.

Reactions: mxj1

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
If you haven't purchased the aquanaut yet and you plan to go cpu-mounted pump, then try for an apogee. It has better temps and the aqua makes me paranoid about leaks popping up in the future. If you're willing to purchase a used aquanaut with a few hours of runtime on it for a nice discount, then ignore what I previously said.

I don't own an Aquanaut. I do own a Nouvolo Steck. I do own an Apogee.

I'm not happy with the quality that I've experienced with the Steck - especially at the $200 price point that I paid. With that being said, I would not be happy with the quality that I've seen in posted images of the Aquanaut. I would strongly encourage the Apogee if it all possible... of course it helps that it performs better too.

Reactions: thelaughingman

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
I managed to order a EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra from Scan today (£575 including next day DPD). I almost bought the ftw3 ultra they had in stock as it was actually cheaper by £25. I was hoping to get a 3080 but I think I'll wait until the end of the year and see if stock is any better. It might be too much for me anyway (1440p).

Was I right to be cautious of a 2.75 slot card with the solid side panels?

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018

I've bought it some months ago, before that was an issue people were talking over here, I'll just wait for the winter one to be on my hands before I buy anything else, I've wanted a few months for it, so I can wait a bit longer to order the pieces left for my build, no worries ;)

I've never used mine tho, hehe

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018
I don't own an Aquanaut. I do own a Nouvolo Steck. I do own an Apogee.

I'm not happy with the quality that I've experienced with the Steck - especially at the $200 price point that I paid. With that being said, I would not be happy with the quality that I've seen in posted images of the Aquanaut. I would strongly encourage the Apogee if it all possible... of course it helps that it performs better too.

I don't mind trying out an Apogee, the only problem is I can't buy it, there's no stock anywhere haha
I would love to use the Apogee with my EK-VTX pump :)

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I don't mind trying out an Apogee, the only problem is I can't buy it, there's no stock anywhere haha
I would love to use the Apogee with my EK-VTX pump :)

I get it - I purchased one long before I thought I would need one. It's still in its original box, unused yet, waiting on the WinterOne.

I'm going to send you a PM...