Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

TheMEXiCAN99

Chassis Packer
Aug 26, 2020
Just while we all eagerly wait for the next update, I was wondering if somebody could help me with a couple of quick questions about case fans.

I have 2 spare slim 15mm noctua fans which i plan to use in the bottom of the case as exhaust. Is it worth swapping them for the 25mm ones?

I have an x53 kraken AIO. I was going to swap the included NZXT fans with 2 x 25mm noctua fans which I already bought. Is this worth it? I suspect it'll be quieter but I'm wondering if I could save money by leaving the radiator alone and using the aforementioned 25mm noctua fans in the bottom of the case instead.

Cheers,
Nik

Reactions: WinterCharm

jupiterking

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 23, 2020
Just while we all eagerly wait for the next update, I was wondering if somebody could help me with a couple of quick questions about case fans.

I have 2 spare slim 15mm noctua fans which i plan to use in the bottom of the case as exhaust. Is it worth swapping them for the 25mm ones?

I have an x53 kraken AIO. I was going to swap the included NZXT fans with 2 x 25mm noctua fans which I already bought. Is this worth it? I suspect it'll be quieter but I'm wondering if I could save money by leaving the radiator alone and using the aforementioned 25mm noctua fans in the bottom of the case instead.

Cheers,
Nik
Someone else can probably have a better answer for you. I’m not sure how much of a difference the noctua 15 vs 25 are, but I would definitely replace your NZXT fans with the noctuas. Sounds like we’ll have a similar build! (Noctua fans and NZXT X53).

Reactions: TheMEXiCAN99

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018

Cheers,
Nik

The biggest difference would be regarding noise. The NF-A12x25 is pretty much inaudible at 900-1000 RPM with great performance. The slim fans will be much louder.
If you care about noise then the NF-A12x25 is the better choice.

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020

Cheers,
Nik

It depends one which 120mm fan you're going to choose. The closest option in terms of speed to the NF-A12x15 is the NF-F12. At max RPM, they both move about the same amount of air. The NF-F12 has more static pressure, but the NF-A12x15 is actually quieter than the thicker 25mm fan.

My recommendation would be if you're even considering switching fans, move up to a 140mm variant.

Question, can the Noctua NA-SFMA1 (with NF-A12x25) be installed in the winter one?

I recall we discussed that earlier in the thread here. I think the answer was probably - depending on radiator height.

Last edited:

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
the NF-A12x15 is actually quieter than the thicker 25mm fan.
In my experience, the A12x15 is crazy loud compared to the F12. Perhaps maybe the overall dB is less or something, but the particular frequency is way more noticeable than the F12. This is the first time I've seen someone claim the A12x15 is more quiet. Is this common knowledge and I just suffer from hearing loss or something?

Reactions: TheMEXiCAN99

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
In my experience, the A12x15 is crazy loud compared to the F12. Perhaps maybe the overall dB is less or something, but the particular frequency is way more noticeable than the F12. This is the first time I've seen someone claim the A12x15 is more quiet. Is this common knowledge and I just suffer from hearing loss or something?
Sorry - I must have been doing too much at once. I was incorrect in stating that the thinner fan is quieter than the thicker fan (22.4 db vs. 23.9 db). Thanks for catching that!

I was referring to the product pages for these two fans:

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019

To my ear, the quality of the F12's sound is vastly more tolerable than the A12x15 as well. The higher static pressure also makes lower fan speeds through radiators possible for further noise reduction. The A12x25 is even better.

There is no circumstance where I would use a 15mm fan if I could fit a 25mm.

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
Thank you all for the helpful replies. Are 2 x 140mm rads feasible on a 240mm rad and be clean looking?
I wouldn’t recommend placing 140mm fans on a 120mm radiator. Establishing a seal between the fans and the radiator will be difficult and due to the way you would have to offset fans you’d likely block your radiator’s inlet/outlet.

120mm fans on a 140mm radiator works quite well and is my plan with NF-A12x25’s.

TheMEXiCAN99

Chassis Packer
Aug 26, 2020
So in summary, for me the best option is to:

- pass on the slim 15mm Noctua fans (and the NF-A9 92mm fan) all these were bought for an nCase m1 build but I sold the case when I discovered this thread.

- use my 2 x NF-A12x25's as exhausts in the bottom of the case.

- purchase 2 x NF-F12 PWM's to attach to the 240mm radiator.

Has it been verified either way whether it is better to push the airflow through the radiator by placing the fans under the radiator, or by sandwiching the fans between the radiator and the top of the case. Looking at the recent beauty shots in post #1,369 it looks like Fouzan has gone for the latter? Please forgive me if this has been answered (to death) already.

As far as i can tell, I do not need Noctua NA-SFMA1. I had a quick go mounting my NF-A12x25's to the kraken radiator and the included 30mm screws seemed to hold it in place just fine. Or is there a benefit i'm missing?

Once again, thanks in advance.

Reactions: WinterCharm

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019

- pass on the slim 15mm Noctua fans (and the NF-A9 92mm fan) all these were bought for an nCase m1 build but I sold the case when I discovered this thread.

Has it been verified either way whether it is better to push the airflow through the radiator by placing the fans under the radiator, or by sandwiching the fans between the radiator and the top of the case. Looking at the recent beauty shots in post #1,369 it looks like Fouzan has gone for the latter? Please forgive me if this has been answered (to death) already.

As far as i can tell, I do not need Noctua NA-SFMA1. I had a quick go mounting my NF-A12x25's to the kraken radiator and the included 30mm screws seemed to hold it in place just fine. Or is there a benefit i'm missing?

Fouzan has said that pull configuration are better because you want the exhausted air to be at a high velocity to prevent recirculation. Having the fans in push causes the air pushed by the fan to be slowed down by the radiator fins resulting in slower exhaust air. (This is is my interpretation of his recs).

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018

The NA-SFMA1 is if you want to convert the 120 fans to 140, if this is not the case then you don't need the adapter at all.