Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Agreed. ADII is audible when the load is higher than 55%.
I never test the difference between ADII and other blocks, did you read and reviews regarding this?
The ADII is so old at this point (it came out in 2011/2012!) that there's unlikely to be any useful reviews.
Biopunk posted a big performance difference between a dedicated block and the aquanaut in the aquanaut thread which got me thinking of doing my own test. Plus I'm bored. Will be testing dB, cpu temp, and ddc pump rpm at a fixed flow rate and coolant temp for the apogee II, aquanaut, and EK velocity block. Should have this done next week unless something bad happens.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
I have a question for those who have knowledge of hydrodynamics: :cool:

what do you think of the new soft tube diameter EKWB 12/16 VS 10/16 (ZMT) ? There are even elbows chez Bitspower in this dimension...

Last edited:

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019

what do you think of the new soft tube diameter EKWB 12/16 VS 10/16 (ZMT) ? There are even elbows chez Bitspower in this dimension...

What goal do you have in mind for this new tubing that couldn't be achieved with the old? Without running the numbers, the contribution of the 10mm ID tubing to overall restriction in the loop is meaningless, so I'm not sure what you'd gain. Perhaps a bit more flexibility, but at the cost of higher chance of kinks on tight bends, and less fitting options.

For reference: For the loops I build in very small cases (T1, dual-rad M1, etc), I use 1/4"IDx1/2"OD (6/12) tubing to take as little space as possible, and make routing easier. While the resistance/restriction it adds to the loop is measurable, compared to something like a waterblock, or a radiator, it's miniscule.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
What goal do you have in mind for this new tubing that couldn't be achieved with the old? Without running the numbers, the contribution of the 10mm ID tubing to overall restriction in the loop is meaningless, so I'm not sure what you'd gain. Perhaps a bit more flexibility, but at the cost of higher chance of kinks on tight bends, and less fitting options.

For reference: For the loops I build in very small cases (T1, dual-rad M1, etc), I use 1/4"IDx1/2"OD (6/12) tubing to take as little space as possible, and make routing easier. While the resistance/restriction it adds to the loop is measurable, compared to something like a waterblock, or a radiator, it's miniscule.
Thank you for your answer, I was wondering about the reason for this new diameter . The 10 ID x 16 OD is at the end of their life (??!!) at EKWB. (Of course, the 10x16 will always exist ;) )

Indeed if the elbows and other connections are not too restrictive, the recent waterblocks with their number of micro channels are. For the W1, I will have 2 WB and 2 rads GTS. I will use 10 ID x 16 OD but I wanted to know if the minimal internal diameter increase had a significant influence with the flow.

In any case, in a few months, I plan to switch to HT 10 ID x 12 OD

Last edited:

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020

I'm no expert.

However, my personal experience tells me you won't see a notable performance difference in flow or temperature above 3/8" (~10 mm) ID while using G 1/4 fittings.

kodek

Caliper Novice
Nov 11, 2020
Thank you for your answer, I was wondering about the reason for this new diameter . The 10 ID x 16 OD is at the end of their life (??!!) at EKWB. (Of course, the 10x16 will always exist ;) )

Indeed if the elbows and other connections are not too restrictive, the recent waterblocks with their number of micro channels are. For the W1, I will have 2 WB and 2 rads GTS. I will use 10 ID x 16 OD but I wanted to know if the minimal internal diameter increase had a significant influence with the flow.

In any case, in a few months, I plan to switch to HT 10 ID x 12 OD
16/10 is EOL because you should use 15.9/9.5 instead.

Reactions: doot4runner

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Humm, i'm an idiot :( you're right.
Been using the 3/8 ID 5/8 OD for years for mid towers, dual rads in NCase, etc.. Never any issues with kinking in tight bends and has a large amount of fitting options. Heads up though that certain tubing sizes and material types, such as the ZMT, are notorious for being difficult to get compressed in the fitting. The tricky part is applying enough pressure to get the compression fitting threads to engage. I'm a big advocate for EK Torque compression fittings b/c they're the best at engaging the threads with the least amount of effort of any fitting I've come across so far. The paint EK uses on their fittings is complete garbage so make sure you don't scratch it or let it rub against anything during install.

Definitely do your homework though so you don't have any buyers regret. Water cooling has a steep upfront cost, but cheap long term cost as long as you reuse your parts.

Last edited:

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
LTT posting a video about the terrible kickstarter from the EVE spectrum.. is his W1 video finally on the horizon?

I should hope not with the original sample that was sent. There have been two revisions since then with what appear to be substantial quality of life improvements.

Reactions: WinterCharm

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
A little bit of Sunday Night Content™ for everyone: 3090 and a D5 😁

Please note: this is a beta case, not retail, so I'll have a few extra millimeters to Tetris with come later this month. That, and hopefully a top with some more useful port orientations.

I've got one of these laying around. I tossed in a spare pump to get some measurements, and it looks promising...

kodek

Caliper Novice
Nov 11, 2020
I should hope not with the original sample that was sent. There have been two revisions since then with what appear to be substantial quality of life improvements.
@WinterCharm said earlier that he will be sending the production (v12) unit to LTT because there is no point in reviewing the beta unit since the kickstarter has already ended.

Edit: Found it.

LTT video doesn't have a timeline right now. I'm also coordinating with them to get a final version of the case in their hands now, because there isn't much point to doing a review of the Beta with production versions coming next month.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Been using the 3/8 ID 5/8 OD for years for mid towers, dual rads in NCase, etc.. Never any issues with kinking in tight bends and has a large amount of fitting options. Heads up though that certain tubing sizes and material types, such as the ZMT, are notorious for being difficult to get compressed in the fitting. The tricky part is applying enough pressure to get the compression fitting threads to engage. I'm a big advocate for EK Torque compression fittings b/c they're the best at engaging the threads with the least amount of effort of any fitting I've come across so far. The paint EK uses on their fittings is complete garbage so make sure you don't scratch it or let it rub against anything during install.
I bought a month ago these EK Torque and the same ZMT at a discount. :)

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
I've got one of these laying around. I tossed in a spare pump to get some measurements, and it looks promising...

Assuming a 230mm GPU block, as long as your pump is <82mm front-to-back you should be good. For reference, some reference 3090 block sizes:

Bykski: 215mm (PCB extends past block???)
EKWB: 220mm
Alphacool: 224.9mm
Watercool: 228.7mm

Aquacomputer does not list a size for their block, but appears to be <230mm

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Assuming a 230mm GPU block, as long as your pump is <82mm front-to-back you should be good. For reference, some reference 3090 block sizes:

Bykski: 215mm (PCB extends past block???)
EKWB: 220mm
Alphacool: 224.9mm
Watercool: 228.7mm

Aquacomputer does not list a size for their block, but appears to be <230mm
At this point, the only thing I'm unsure of is whether the pump will clear the cross support. There appears to be a few mm for the pump to fit under the cross support, and not contact the PSU.
I didn't directly mention, but this is all using dual 280 mm gts/l radiators.

Reactions: Koxx5D