Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

zk2004mb

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2020
Someone i know is going to be experimenting with filing down the surface where the fittings go by 2mm to ensure it fits. That may be a viable option.

You're spot-on. It should fit if you go with a bottom 140.
Do you have plan to add bifurcation pcie riser? If we do customer loop, there might be enough space to add another 1 slot card or maybe two water cooled cards.
For me, I'm using a m.2 to pcie x4 jumper to support my thunderbolt add in card in the Ncase M1. It's really a pain in the ass.

ckrueger99

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2020
Do you have plan to add bifurcation pcie riser? If we do customer loop, there might be enough space to add another 1 slot card or maybe two water cooled cards.
For me, I'm using a m.2 to pcie x4 jumper to support my thunderbolt add in card in the Ncase M1. It's really a pain in the ass.
The best solution I can see is the x8x8 Bifurcation Riser from C_Payne, but this will require a longer riser cable, something like 220-225mm up from the 185mm 175mm one supplied with our case.

Last edited:

jupiterking

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 23, 2020
@WinterCharm So I was previously planning on an all exhaust perforated side build with a a single AIO radiator on top. This was mostly since I had a 2.5 slot 2070. I just scored a 3070 FE and was curious if you’d still recommend the same setup.

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Kickstarter Update 7 is Live!

copy/pasted below for convenience.

---------------------------

Hello everyone!

This is going to be a short update, as nothing significant has changed since the last week. Everything is progressing as expected. So, for a change of pace, let's answer your questions. If this segment is something we can add to the end of every update going forward, I'm happy to do so. Let me know in the comments below, if you have any follow-up questions. Let's get to it!

BACKER Q&A

Q1. To confirm it now allows radiators of 312mm length?
A1:
That is correct. Radiators up to 312mm in length are supported. This includes the Hardware Labs GTS 280 and Corsair XR5 280. Almost any 240mm radiator will fit, including 240mm AIOs.

Q2. Do you foresee shipping prior to Chinese New Year or would it be safe to assume shipping won't start until February?
A2:
We should ship before the Chinese New Year. This particular holiday should not affect our supply chain too much, as the stock parts that do come from China have arrived. The machined parts, and packaging are coming from different countries :)

Q3. What is the height of that DDC+pump top?
A3:
This depends on on your build. To better answer this question, and make loop planning easier, I created a few STEP files that give you a 3D view of the volume available to mount a pump. You can download these files Under "Tech Specs" on the Winter One Website. As long as the pump / res combo you’ve chosen fits within the red zone indicated in the STL file, you should be golden.

Q4. Why isn’t Winter One shipping with a PCIE 4.0 Riser?
A4:
There aren’t any properly certified PCIE 4.0 risers available right now. Tentative dates for availability are late 2021. There are now a handful of PCIE 4.0 “compatible” risers. However, these do not work reliably with every hardware combination. Paying extra for a 4.0 cable, that doesn't work with your parts would lead to a lot of disappointment. I don't want anyone to feel awful if they pay extra for 4.0 cable, but it doesn't work for your hardware. I also don't want to charge anyone for a cable I cannot guarantee will work with your hardware.

Q5. What is the length of the Winter One Riser Cable?
A5:
Winter One’s Riser Cable is 175mm PCIE 3.0 x16 double-reverse cable (minimizes cable bending). It’s sized perfectly to the case. If you use a linear cable, 185mm is recommended.

Q6. The case states max GPU length of 315, is this the absolute max length of the maximum comfortable length?
A6:
Yes, 315mm is the absolute maximum GPU length.

Q7. I'm assuming there aren't any clearance issues with tubing coming out of the bottom radiator and the power cable?
A7:
Tubing coming from the bottom radiator can be routed on either side of the power cable. For soft tubing, a 90º compression fitting will eliminate the routing problem. For hard tubing, you may need to use 2x90º fittings, or (if using a 140/120/240mm radiator) shift the radiator towards the front.

Q8. I'm wondering what the distance between the bottom right motherboard spine to the front of the case is?
A8:
That particular dimension is 125mm.

Q9. Do we know the size of the pump bracket?
A9:
The pump bracket itself is 73mm x 40mm. It was designed to allow for the mounting of a wide variety of pumps, in many orientations. It can be attached to any object with 2 threaded screw holes located within a 33 x 63 mm rectangle. (example: if a pump has 2 screws, located 25mm apart, horizontally, the bracket will fit). Or if it has 3 screws in a triangle 20 mm apart, and 12mm high, the bracket will fit at least 2 of them. The Braket Can be Mounted Planar (flat against the front panel) or Perpendicular (Sticking Out), in a total of 4 different positions on the front Panel. This should give you tons of flexibility to mount your almost any pump.

Q10. What Other options are there for modding Winter One?
A10:
You can 3D Print any bracket that will mount to the 4 threaded holes in the front panel. These are M3x0.5 threaded holes, located in a square pattern, with center-center dimensions of 44.5mm. Please note: the lower 2 holes are *obstructed* by a 240/280 bottom radiator / fans. The Upper holes are not. Plan your mods accordingly :)

Q11. Does this case support ASUS Crosshair viii impact?
A11:
It does not. The Crosshair VIII impact has an 83mm tall Add-In-Card that extends beyond the vertical clearance of 71mm above the socket.

Q12. is it still worth it to go with a standard SFX PSU when SFX-L PSUs offer niceties like fanless operations and higher wattage?
A12:
SFX PSU’s allow more space for a pump / res that extends somewhat into the cabling space. SFX-L advantages are the higher power limits and quieter operation.

Q13. I was previously planning on an all exhaust perforated side build with a a single AIO radiator on top. This was mostly since I had a 2.5 slot 2070. I just scored a 3070 FE and was curious if you’d still recommend the same setup?
A13:
Yes, the all-exhaust setup with an AIO cooler on top will be the best performing setup for an AIO / GPU combination. Just be sure to flip the power supply so the fan faces the perforated panel. :)

———————

Thank you to everyone who submitted questions, either in the form of a comment, or privately via a message. That’s all the Q&A I’ve got for now. See you next week! :)

-----------------

I'm trying to limit configuration options until we hit the necessary volume. However, you should be able to add one yourself, if needed. In the future, this may be something we do out of the box, but it's not planned right now.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
To start, I have everything except the power supply and I don't know yet if I'm going to take a 750 corsair or an 850 cooler master. At first, I'll use my apogee drive / DDC and make a T-line with a single 280 (soft tubing) , but when I've validated the graphics card and I've received the WB for it, I'll maybe take a D5. I have another WB CPU ready and a second 280.

I even bought a new multimeter...;)

Now I'm waiting and I'll see what I'm missing during the assembly, as usual.:)

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I didn't order a W1, yet still I'm buying stuff 🤣 🤣 🤣
oh wow...

well, you better spread it out some. You may go broke waiting on yours - I probably would at round 2.

on a side note, I'm pretty excited to see some of the builds that are going to happen with this case. There's gonna be a lot of nice hardware living in these things.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
oh wow...

well, you better spread it out some. You may go broke waiting on yours - I probably would at round 2.

on a side note, I'm pretty excited to see some of the builds that are going to happen with this case. There's gonna be a lot of nice hardware living in these things.
I have the Crosshair VIII Impact board so W1 will never be an option now. Maybe the next Winter case if it does support classic layout

zk2004mb

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2020
To start, I have everything except the power supply and I don't know yet if I'm going to take a 750 corsair or an 850 cooler master. At first, I'll use my apogee drive / DDC and make a T-line with a single 280 (soft tubing) , but when I've validated the graphics card and I've received the WB for it, I'll maybe take a D5. I have another WB CPU ready and a second 280.

I even bought a new multimeter...;)

Now I'm waiting and I'll see what I'm missing during the assembly, as usual.:)
Just curious. Why do you want a D5 if you have apogee drive ii? I feel it's powerful enough to drive even 2 280 rads

zk2004mb

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2020
Now I'm seriously considering part out my crosshair viii impact because of this case. 2x280 rads support and two pcie card potential.....Oh man, it's kinda like my dream.
I'm using the Ncase M1 now with 1x240 Nemesis GTS and 1x240 TX240 slim rad. This configuration is not very friendly to my overclocked 3900X and 5700xt........

zk2004mb

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2020
The ADII is a great integrated block but the performance trails a dedicated one like Optimus or TechN's significantly. A D5 will generally run quieter than a DDC does as well.
Agreed. ADII is audible when the load is higher than 55%.
I never test the difference between ADII and other blocks, did you read and reviews regarding this?

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
The ADII is so old at this point (it came out in 2011/2012!) that there's unlikely to be any useful reviews.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
As Qzrx says, the performances are a little less good than with a dedicated waterblock, but that's not the only reason in my case. The pump inputs or outputs (in both directions) touch 1 of the memory sticks (G.Skill Trident Z) and I didn't want to buy Corsair LPX . As I wanted to change, I bought a waterblock comparable to the Optimus, Heatkiller, TechN ...

But before I water-cooled my 3090, I will use the ADII with only 1 single 16 GB memory stick.
Yes, the D5 is quieter and there is room in a W1.
You can see here, I have the same motherboard and therefore the same problems.

Last edited:

G23 Mr Gimp

Caliper Novice
Bronze Supporter
Sep 14, 2020
I've ended up spotting for rads, so just need fittings, blocks, pump, tubing, coolant and a 3090 now. Not much!.
I was gonna move to AMD but have decided to err on the side of sensible and stay with my 9700k for now!

That CPU block looks nice @Koxx5D

I'm looking at Acetal and copper blocks as I'm not a fan of nickel plating or RGB all of the things, so Heatkiller is looking good at the moment, although I do adore Aquacomputer blocks....

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
I've ended up spotting for rads, so just need fittings, blocks, pump, tubing, coolant and a 3090 now. Not much!.
I was gonna move to AMD but have decided to err on the side of sensible and stay with my 9700k for now!

That CPU block looks nice @Koxx5D

I'm looking at Acetal and copper blocks as I'm not a fan of nickel plating or RGB all of the things, so Heatkiller is looking good at the moment, although I do adore Aquacomputer blocks....
Supposedly the Cuplex Vario can outperform the Heatkiller CPU blocks, but it requires a good bit of trial and error (re: mount, stress test, re-mount) to dial in. Otherwise with stock mounts they're pretty similar.