Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Reactions: WinterCharm

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020
Could someone with both a quadro and a motherboard w/ temp sensor and pump pwm input chime in on why the extra $50 and increased clutter inside one's case is worth it? Is it really that much better to have a quadro control rpm off coolant temp than the motherboard?

I'm super curious which ITX mobo has a pump header and temp sensor? That's going to be my new go to board if it exists. When I was searching last, the asus boards had a temp sensor, but no pump header. Just pwm fan headers. Couple other boards I've looked at have 2A pump headers, but no temp sensor.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
I'm super curious which ITX mobo has a pump header and temp sensor? That's going to be my new go to board if it exists. When I was searching last, the asus boards had a temp sensor, but no pump header. Just pwm fan headers. Couple other boards I've looked at have 2A pump headers, but no temp sensor.
Yea you got me. strix is 1.5A AIO_PUMP rather than a 2.0A PUMP. Regardless, You still need either a molex to power the quadro or a molex to power the pump.

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020
Yea you got me. strix is 1.5A AIO_PUMP rather than a 2.0A PUMP. Regardless, You still need either a molex to power the quadro or a molex to power the pump.
I rewire my pumps when I have access to a 2A header. I'm not a huge fan of the quadro ... it just seems like extra stuff to me. Adjusting fan speed based on coolant temp is cool and all, but doing it by cpu temp has worked fine for me for years.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
I rewire my pumps when I have access to a 2A header. I'm not a huge fan of the quadro ... it just seems like extra stuff to me. Adjusting fan speed based on coolant temp is cool and all, but doing it by cpu temp has worked fine for me for years.

My preference is fan speed by coolant temp.

The reason for that preference is that the fluid temperature is based entirely on the amount of wattage put into the system and the fan speed. This allows you very good control of your fluid. Additionally with the aqua-suite you can control it all in windows easily.

By contrast if you are controlling your fan speed by a component temperature and you don't stress that component (playing games with really limited CPU usage for example) you may end up with higher loop and component temperatures on other items in the loop.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020

Asus Strix 570 is 1A / 12W for the 3 connectors . And with the quadro, if I feel like it, I can easily power 2 pumps. After all, the aquanaut is not a bad solution and here, it is relatively easy for me to have a decent cold plate machined, i've already inquired about it.:cool:

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Could someone with both a quadro and a motherboard w/ temp sensor and pump pwm input chime in on why the extra $50 and increased clutter inside one's case is worth it? Is it really that much better to have a quadro control rpm off coolant temp than the motherboard?
You can set up multiple temp sensors and then generate custom virtual sensors for more control.

Eg: ambient temp sensor, radiator in temp sensor, radiator out sensor. Take average for rad in and out, subtract ambient temp, then set your fans to the delta coolant temp.

Then you can also set "alarms" for example, if coolant reaches critical temp (55-60C) so you don't have a dead pump or leaks.

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
As the others have already stated, fan speed based on coolant ambient delta is the way to go - minimal noise, and best performance.

Additionally, I feel like aquasuite is nearly worth the price of admission. I've used the BIOS before to control fan speeds, and while it's possible, it's still inconvenient. I've also used windows-based apps from the motherboard vendors and found them at best lack-luster, and typically buggy.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
As the others have already stated, fan speed based on coolant ambient delta is the way to go - minimal noise, and best performance.

Additionally, I feel like aquasuite is nearly worth the price of admission. I've used the BIOS before to control fan speeds, and while it's possible, it's still inconvenient. I've also used windows-based apps from the motherboard vendors and found them at best lack-luster, and typically buggy.
You can set up multiple temp sensors and then generate custom virtual sensors for more control.

Eg: ambient temp sensor, radiator in temp sensor, radiator out sensor. Take average for rad in and out, subtract ambient temp, then set your fans to the delta coolant temp.

Then you can also set "alarms" for example, if coolant reaches critical temp (55-60C) so you don't have a dead pump or leaks.
We almost need an aquasuite thread on here with everyone showing what it can do around fans and fluid delta's. I think there is a great pool of knowledge like this that's spread across many SFF threads...

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
@WinterCharm My bad if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it. I'm trying to figure out how a D5 would align to the ports on a 3080FE block. Could you provide this dimension?

Also, can the pump bracket be flipped horizontal allowing for mounting in this orientation?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I know it is not a mini ITX mobo (and I know it will not work in the W1, and seems to be an unpopular mobo around these parts), but the ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Impact miniDTX mobo has a wide range of connections for watercooling:

2 x Radiator Fan Headers
1 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
1 x LN2 Mode jumper(s)
1 x W_IN header
1 x W_OUT header
1 x W_FLOW header
1 x W_PUMP+ connector
1 x T_Sensor Connector
1 x CPU Fan connector(s)

All fan headers are 1A / 12W
The water pump header is 3A / 36W

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

Gigabyte's B550i (3x) and X570i (2x) both have 2A PWM fan/pump headers. Perfect for using a splitter and not losing overall fan RPM or running a pump. The Aorus bios also has one of the best fan controls of any bios I know. Actual fan curves, ability to set an off-mode (or turn it off) and apply settings on one fan to others.

Still obviously doesn't hold a candle to something like the Quadro.

@WinterCharm My bad if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it. I'm trying to figure out how a D5 would align to the ports on a 3080FE block. Could you provide this dimension?

Also, can the pump bracket be flipped horizontal allowing for mounting in this orientation?

65mm, I think (may be off by +/- 2mm, because I did the math in my head. I'll double check the CAD files tonight.

Definitely check out the .STEP files posted on the Winter One website, under the Tech Specs section -- they'll help with loop planning :)

As noted in This Update, The Pump bracket can be used in a total of 9 or 10 positions :) That, and the Opposing V's are designed to give you maximum flexibility to mount most pumps. This was necessary, because every single manufacturer appears to arbitrarily use their own pump mounting system. While it was impossible to test against every pump, I tried to make it flexible enough that most pumps will work.

Last edited:

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
As noted in This Update, The Pump bracket can be used in a total of 9 or 10 positions :) That, and the Opposing V's are designed to give you maximum flexibility to mount most pumps. This was necessary, because every single manufacturer appears to arbitrarily use their own pump mounting system. While it was impossible to test against every pump, I tried to make it flexible enough that most pumps will work.

I hate that.

Can you also give the measurement of how much room is above and below the pump bracket in the various mounting positions?

• Haha
Reactions: Koxx5D

Kizzster

Cable Smoosher
Jan 8, 2021
Not sure if this has been mentioned but can the Mini DTX Crosshair VIII Impact be supported if I were to only use 25mm fans at the bottom?

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Not sure if this has been mentioned but can the Mini DTX Crosshair VIII Impact be supported if I were to only use 25mm fans at the bottom?
Per this post, no—it's actually a matter of the height, not the dimensions of the mainboard! Unfortunately this board has caused a lot of grief due to its odd interpretation of the ITX/DTX spec.
Q11. Does this case support ASUS Crosshair viii impact?
A11:
It does not. The Crosshair VIII impact has an 83mm tall Add-In-Card that extends beyond the vertical clearance of 71mm above the socket.

Reactions: ckrueger99

evadne

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2020
  • The Quadro/Octo operates independent of the base system, which means you could use it in isolation to test the loop without having to run the whole system. This can be very handy when cleaning the loop with the Mayhems Blitz Kit for example… Or when you need to watercool an eGPU. Additionally if you were to switch systems (say Intel to AMD etc.) or clear CMOS the whole setup can carry over without reconfiguration.
  • The Aquasuite app is ok, not too bad. It supports both soft and actual sensors meaning the fan speeds can be adjusted on a curve based on readings from actual hardware sensors, or HWINFO etc (note that the latter requires Windows to boot otherwise fans run at 100%).
  • Many ITX boards have fan headers all around the board but the Quadro/Octo being a dedicated device can actually help cable management by routing all fan cables to one place.
I would not build new systems without such a device.