Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

DoctorGrims

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2020
I'm wondering what the distance between the bottom right motherboard spine to the front of the case is? If I'm doing my math right it should be 312mm-170mm=142mm. I have a FLT 120 DDC which has a width/length of 120mm/105mm and a height of 58mm which hopefully won't come in contact with the motherboard spine. Which I think will fit fine under the power supply and having a 140mm radiator + fan on the other side.

But if my math is wrong, other than the Swiftech MCP50X, what other small DDC pumps would be good? I think an Alphacool Laing DDC310 + their DDC Plexi Top V.2 might be an alternative? It comes to a height of 44mm which should fit underneath the GPU. But I'm not sure if that gives better tubing routing options compared to the Swiftech. Switftech has 1 port from the top and one from the side, while the Alphacool will have the option of 2 side ports if I'm understanding it correctly.

Reactions: WinterCharm

ckrueger99

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2020
I'm wondering what the distance between the bottom right motherboard spine to the front of the case is? If I'm doing my math right it should be 312mm-170mm=142mm. I have a FLT 120 DDC which has a width/length of 120mm/105mm and a height of 58mm which hopefully won't come in contact with the motherboard spine. Which I think will fit fine under the power supply and having a 140mm radiator + fan on the other side.

But if my math is wrong, other than the Swiftech MCP50X, what other small DDC pumps would be good? I think an Alphacool Laing DDC310 + their DDC Plexi Top V.2 might be an alternative? It comes to a height of 44mm which should fit underneath the GPU. But I'm not sure if that gives better tubing routing options compared to the Swiftech. Switftech has 1 port from the top and one from the side, while the Alphacool will have the option of 2 side ports if I'm understanding it correctly.
I’m pretty sure your calculations are correct. Based on that, I went with Alphacool pump and the Alphacool 1u reservoir top which allow a lot of mounting and filling options.

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
As the CPU height is now at 71 mm do we think it would be possible to use a Barrow CPU Waterblock Combo with low profile fittings? My guess is the fittings would be in contact with the side panel or something.

According to Ali from OT, with low profile fittings it comes to a height of 72 mm. I've never done any watercooling before but this sure looks easier with this integrated block, pump and res!

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
As the CPU height is now at 71 mm do we think it would be possible to use a Barrow CPU Waterblock Combo with low profile fittings? My guess is the fittings would be in contact with the side panel or something.

According to Ali from OT, with low profile fittings it comes to a height of 72 mm. I've never done any watercooling before but this sure looks easier with this integrated block, pump and res!

Someone i know is going to be experimenting with filing down the surface where the fittings go by 2mm to ensure it fits. That may be a viable option.

You're spot-on. It should fit if you go with a bottom 140.

Last edited:

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020

I don't think that top will fit with a bottom 240/280 rad in a horizontal orientation. It's 80 mm2. You should get this top instead, it's the same size as DDC pump, and has a bunch of port options.

I would stay away from the brass alphacool tops. I've had three with coatings that lifted.

I would also recommend spending a little more on a DDC with pwm option.

Last edited:

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020

I'm thinking of using the FLT 120 (just because I already have one) also but be very careful that it appears EKWB may have made an error on their technical drawing of the DDC version. It shows 120x105 but the product description page and the D5 version drawing both show 120x120. Mine definitely appears to be square.

Only using a 140mm radiator under the motherboard, I think there should be room for a ton of possibilities. I'm eyeing the possibility of a D5 with top. I'm just bummed that I can't use a 280 st30 at the top ... I really like having those extra ports for filling and bleeding.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Question: Do we know the size of the pump bracket?

I'm thinking of installing a D5 with my 3090 WC. In any case, I don't buy anything else until I have the W1.

Gallant495

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 1, 2021
I've been lurking here a while, gathering all my measurements for planning, but with the newest version I am left with many questions.
When using a 280 rad and 30mm fan, what would the free space be under the psu? Is is still 46mm as in the original campaign info?
Additionally, has anyone come across a "tall" pump/res combo that could fit in the space next to the gpu in terms of width? I read that the space between the side panel and spine on the GPU's side would be a mere 62.5mm, and that just seems too narrow.
Afterwards, it's contemplating between going with a ddc or sacrificing fan and rad size for a d5.

Neptimus7

Caliper Novice
Mar 16, 2020
With the v12 revision supporting 125mm+ SFX-L PSUs, is it still worth it to go with a standard SFX PSU when SFX-L PSUs offer niceties like fanless operations and higher wattage? Specifically looking at the SilverStone SX700 or SX800, which is 130x125mm

The only thing I can think of is having more room to route tubes with when going with standard SFX.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I've been lurking here a while, gathering all my measurements for planning, but with the newest version I am left with many questions.
When using a 280 rad and 30mm fan, what would the free space be under the psu? Is is still 46mm as in the original campaign info?
Additionally, has anyone come across a "tall" pump/res combo that could fit in the space next to the gpu in terms of width? I read that the space between the side panel and spine on the GPU's side would be a mere 62.5mm, and that just seems too narrow.
Afterwards, it's contemplating between going with a ddc or sacrificing fan and rad size for a d5.

Do keep in mind this is *only* for the distance between the spine and the side panel. Above / below the spine you are only restricted by the radiator or power supply, if yours extends that far down. It's entirely possible to place a wider reservoir above and a wider pump top / pump below, and connect the two with a short run of hose to get around the spine itself.

Above the spine, from the PSU >>> GPU side panel, is 87mm of space.
At the spine, you have a 62.5mm restriction. But this only lasts for about 10-20mm (the vertical dimension of the front beam region of the spine)
In the region below the spine, for 25mm (or 50mm is you use an SFX-L power supply) this 87mm restriction still applies
Beyond the bottom surface of the power supply + wires (or GPU), you have 155mm from side panel to side panel, and 119mm from front-rear.

This "full width" and "full length" space is limited by the bottom of your GPU if you have an SFX power supply.
If you use an SFX-L power supply, this space below is limited by the bottom surface of your SFX-L power supply.

I know that's exceedingly confusing in text form, so I will put together an IGES/STL file of the available space, that can act as a guide.

With the v12 revision supporting 125mm+ SFX-L PSUs, is it still worth it to go with a standard SFX PSU when SFX-L PSUs offer niceties like fanless operations and higher wattage? Specifically looking at the SilverStone SX700 or SX800, which is 130x125mm

The only thing I can think of is having more room to route tubes with when going with standard SFX.

Also more room for a wider pump top / clearance for entrances / exits around those components.

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019

There is definitely an argument to be made for SFX-L, but spacing with wires will be tight.
The picture I’ve attached is with an SF750, and I’m comfortable routing everything—including 16/10mm tubing—around that. SFX-L will fit for sure but you might want to get a little creative with routing wires/tubes to really optimize the clutter.

Attachments

• 2DFDEBA6-B02D-4F78-8F1A-F40CC1142528.jpeg
    2DFDEBA6-B02D-4F78-8F1A-F40CC1142528.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 75

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
There is definitely an argument to be made for SFX-L, but spacing with wires will be tight.
The picture I’ve attached is with an SF750, and I’m comfortable routing everything—including 16/10mm tubing—around that. SFX-L will fit for sure but you might want to get a little creative with routing wires/tubes to really optimize the clutter.

Hot damn! That is some clean cable management, especially considering the restricted space of the case itself.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
I know that's exceedingly confusing in text form, so I will put together an IGES/STL file of the available space, that can act as a guide.
Yes please, it would be better to understand, and at the same time, will I be able to know the measurements of the pump bracket ?:cool:

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
I’ve been curious about picking one up for a while but the configuration confusion scared me off—plus the whole “75W CPU with GPU” bit.
CPU Power Connector:

• For high consumption CPU, choose CPU Power Connector for SF Series, compatible with Corsair SF Gold and Plat. This connector connects directly to your PSU.
I'm a little worried too, but I think we have to try.

I have a question for you, what is the distance between the pcb of the motherboard and the backplate of the graphic card?

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
I have a question for you, what is the distance between the pcb of the motherboard and the backplate of the graphic card?
I can’t give you a good answer, unfortunately—dimensions there have changed between the beta and retail units.

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I’ve been curious about picking one up for a while but the configuration confusion scared me off—plus the whole “75W CPU with GPU” bit.

CPU Power Connector:

• For high consumption CPU, choose CPU Power Connector for SF Series, compatible with Corsair SF Gold and Plat. This connector connects directly to your PSU.
I'm a little worried too, but I think we have to try.

run the EPS (4+4pin) cable directly from PSU to motherboard and there is no limit to worry about. the limit ONLY applies when you daisy chain the cable from the M2426 to the EPS connector