Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Given that we have no "front" I/O, I wonder if anyone here has experience with these devices, which plug into mobo 19/20-pin USB header and allow "front" I/O through an unused slot in the back panel bracket. They seem ridiculously cheap. Do they work?
It's also somewhat popular to use these for moving wifi/bluetooth dongles internal to free up rear I/O.

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
It's also somewhat popular to use these for moving wifi/bluetooth dongles internal to free up rear I/O.
I also plan to use a USB 3 adapter but this one doesn't have additional cabling. Thankfully it fits in the Gigabyte b550i but I'm sorta wondering if the metal enclosure and the SPK above the Logitech IF receiver will interfere with the signal.

Nomad

Chassis Packer
Mar 2, 2017
I also plan to use a USB 3 adapter but this one doesn't have additional cabling. Thankfully it fits in the Gigabyte b550i but I'm sorta wondering if the metal enclosure and the SPK above the Logitech IF receiver will interfere with the signal.
I have my Logitech dongle plugged into my monitor because there seemed to be too much interference when I plugged it into the back of my Loque which was ~3 ft away from my mouse. Who knows though maybe I'm doing something wrong. If it is an interference problem I imagine you're going to be out of luck with it inside the case.

G23 Mr Gimp

Caliper Novice
Bronze Supporter
Sep 14, 2020
I have my Logitech dongle plugged into my monitor because there seemed to be too much interference when I plugged it into the back of my Loque which was ~3 ft away from my mouse. Who knows though maybe I'm doing something wrong. If it is an interference problem I imagine you're going to be out of luck with it inside the case.
I'm doing the same using my Ghost now.

With the receiver at the back of the case it was beyond useless, and now it's mostly fine.

Bluetooth connections are absolutely horrible still however.

jupiterking

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 23, 2020
I'm doing the same using my Ghost now.

With the receiver at the back of the case it was beyond useless, and now it's mostly fine.

Bluetooth connections are absolutely horrible still however.
I’m not sure what’s up with Windows 10 and Bluetooth. It’s incredibly unreliable and has been for ages.

Reactions: Grimm

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Haven't seen any talk about build plans for a while. Mocked up something real quick on what I've been planning since I first saw the 3080FE board shape in September. Assumed waterblocks would put terminals in the triangular void which turned out to be the case. Can't wait to see someone do this build and I can't think of any case out there more perfect for this gpu block terminal location. If only the 3080FE actually existed...
Have you chosen the waterblock you want to use?
Aquanaut ?

The EKWB waterblock for the 3080 FE is great but they didn't do the same for the 3090, and it's really expensive ... I'm waiting, maybe one day ?? :\

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Have you chosen the waterblock you want to use?
Aquanaut ?

The EKWB waterblock for the 3080 FE is great but they didn't do the same for the 3090, and it's really expensive ... I'm waiting, maybe one day ?? :\
Probably apogee, but I'm going to test both. Will revisit this once I have a gpu short enough to fit a D5.

EK tweeted about a 3090FE block coming Q1. Leaks hint at the 3080ti using the same board which could be their motivation.

Reactions: Neptimus7

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Well... I've got most of my stuff ready to go once the case arrives. Cables from Pslate arrived today. I placed an order for a black/nickel heatkiller V block for my PNY 3090 last week. I'm going to be using the Apogee block and two 280 L series rads. There's still a few things up in the air for me though. I'll need to decide if I want to use chrome plated brass tubing or acrylic and once the case makes it to me I can decide between using a Quadro or Aquaero/farbwerk.

I lost my second Crosshair VIII board about a month ago. I went to lunch and left my computer on and came back to a black screen and a board that refused to boot. I ended up switching in the ROG strix x570i board. Right now, my computer looks a little out of proportions with the itx board and vertical mounted 3090 (~317 mm) in my O11 XL. 😄

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Kickstarter Update 6 is Live

----------------------------

Happy Holidays Everyone!
Apologies for the later-than-expected update. We got caught in the middle of a massive system migration that took much longer to complete than expected. With that out of the way, let’s get onto Winter One updates!

Production Start​

All CMM machines are now calibrated and production variances have been dialed in. Early test parts are within tolerance. With this critical step completed, all Winter One parts are now in early production! I am expecting samples of finished parts in the next 2 weeks. Once those samples have been evaluated and cleared, full scale production will commence.

Verification of Materials​

We will have a complete answer on metal verification in the next 2 weeks. Early Mass Spec results are looking good. Cleared Lots of stock material are being used for early production. Production with uncleared Lots is not necessary at this time.

Q&A​

If you have any questions about Winter One, ask them in the comments below! In the next update, we will be answering your questions, and having a discussion about case airflow and the user's manual for Winter One.

Winter One v12​

Winter One v11’s evaluation was completed last month, and as many of you know, there were some airflow issues that needed to be sorted out. We made the necessary changes and finalized v12 for production some time ago, but in the rush we didn't have time to sit down and talk about v12. Below is a detailed change log, and a few renders for your enjoyment. v12 is the finalized production version of Winter One.
  • Central Spine converted to a single piece of CNC machined aluminum (rather than 2 or 4 separate pieces, as shown with v11); this was done for strength, rigidity, and simplicity, despite the higher part cost
  • Central Spine rectangular slots have been tweaked and repositioned. They now provide more options for mounting an Aquareo Quadro (previously only 2 viable positions existed. Now, 4 positions exist)
  • Standoffs: slight change in standoff length grants 71mmof CPU cooler clearance (+1mm)
  • Top Arm of Central Spine now has a shallow channel to allow GPU air coolers and water blocks with thicker backplates (up to 3.8mm) to mount without compressing the riser cable.
  • Side Panels mounting system was updated with small angled surfaces in areas where sliding panels would catch, lessening the occurrence of this issue.
  • Side Panel and Front Panel channels now have wider tolerances between sliding surfaces.
  • GPU Holding Bracket is now perforated for better airflow from cards that exhaust through the rear of the case, with vents that extend beyond the PCIE slot itself. (3090FE, blower cards, and axial cooler cards with longitudinal fins)
  • GPU Holding Bracket is now externally mounted for ease of use.
  • Front Panel: added 3mm gap behind power supply to relieve high pressure flow zones from pass-through GPU coolers. This improves bottom --> top airflow, as well as all-exhaust airflow using these GPU coolers.
  • 125mm+ SFX-L power supplies now work with Winter One
  • Perforated PCIE Slot Cover to accommodate for 2.5+ slot GPUs that may exhaust out the rear beyond the profile of the GPU's own PCIE bracket. (Applies to some board partner cards that are 2.2-2.7 slots in width).
Winter One v12 Renders can be found On the Kickstarter Page :)

Here's a little teaser image:

EDIT: lol oops, in the above render the feet clipped through the floor >.> sorry about that!

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Still don't get why you couldn't source 3M riser and don't claim that it's PCIe 4.0 compatible, consumers would be able to use it in 4.0 mode at their own risk and lots of frustration would be avoided (as Dan A4 v4.1 owners seem happy) until a certified 4.0 riser becomes available.

This is a good question, and worth discussing:

1. 3M Riser in custom cable lengths and with a double-reverse configuration is not possible to source at our current production volume.
2. The Double-Reverse geometry is necessary for fan clearance with the high density of this case. Same reason the Central Spine was updated to assist with cable routing.
3. Excess cabling *can* be tucked in between the motherboard and GPU (in the middle of the central spine), but leads to a less-than-ideal build experience, and a loss of airflow over the rear M.2

That single piece central spline is looking goooooooood. 😍

It's a stunning centerpiece. Even when you build around it, just knowing it's there is oddly satisfying.

Nice update. Can I have my case yet? Puhhhlease?

<3 Soon™ I know the wait has been rough, and some of you have parts ready and waiting... it'll be worth it. It's all coming together now, and I cannot wait to see everyone's reactions when they unbox it :)

Reactions: Neptimus7 and mxj1

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Do you have any measurements up that we can refer to?
I'd really like to know the distance between top and bottom radiators/fans, and the distance between the spine and the side panel.

I'm contemplating what I can stuff in there....

kodek

Caliper Novice
Nov 11, 2020
Looking at the render with radiators I’m a little worried about tubing - when the radiator is placed as in render the power connector is gonna interfere and when it’s placed the other side pump bracket will be in the way. It looks like there is only about 27mm clearance ( the height of fan plus 2mm). Am I missing something?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Do you have any measurements up that we can refer to?
I'd really like to know the distance between top and bottom radiators/fans, and the distance between the spine and the side panel.

I'm contemplating what I can stuff in there....

Distance from Spine to inside of side panel:
  • GPU Side: 62.3mm
  • Motherboard Side: 86.7mm (CPU Cooler Height: 71mm -- remember: standoffs + socket height)
Distance Between Fans / Radiators (assuming 30mm radiator + 25mm fans + clearance): 173mm
Between 2x GTS 280's (29.5mm) + 30mm fans >> 177mm

Looking at the render with radiators I’m a little worried about tubing - when the radiator is placed as in render the power connector is gonna interfere and when it’s placed the other side pump bracket will be in the way. It looks like there is only about 27mm clearance ( the height of fan plus 2mm). Am I missing something?
While it's a bit of a tight fit, the pump bracket can be mounted in a few different ways, and depending on the pump used, you have room to shift a small pump toward the power supply, or even anchor it to the central spine instead, giving you clearance on the other side for tubing.

Mounting the bracket horizontally, under the GPU allows you to put a smaller pump beside or behind the GPU (toward the side or front panel), and opens up a lot of space to route tubing from below. What works best with your build will depend heavily on the pump that is used.

IIRC, in @Qzrx 's build, one radiator was flipped around for easier routing. For builds that are particularly tight, a bit of flex tubing on the GTS 280s will make radiator access much easier, even if the rest of your build is hardline. (Or you can go the @gelbetron route, and use a some 90-deg fittings).

For 240mm radiators/AIOs, it's a lot easier, as you have room to shift the radiators forward or back within the case, to clear the cord / pump / motherboard I/O.

There is also room to "sidestep" the cord and motherboard I/O bracket by using 2 x 90-deg fittings, as you can see here:

Last edited:
Reactions: kodek and mxj1

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
Do you have any idea of what their vertical port terminal is?
Check my attached image here and zoom in on the inlets from the terminal to the block: you’ll notice that the intake flows above (!!!) the return channel and to the main fins—this hasn’t been done before with waterblocks and Watercool claims doing it both improves temperatures and reduces flow restriction by ~30%.

Attachments

• 88829D00-91AE-498A-8819-CEEABDA4132F.jpeg
    88829D00-91AE-498A-8819-CEEABDA4132F.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: mxj1 and DrHudacris

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Check my attached image here and zoom in on the inlets from the terminal to the block: you’ll notice that the intake flows above (!!!) the return channel and to the main fins—this hasn’t been done before with waterblocks and Watercool claims doing it both improves temperatures and reduces flow restriction by ~30%.
I take it that is standard design though (for their block). The product page describes an optional accessory as the vertical port. I'm hoping it allows a parallel entrance/exit for the coolant.

I ended up getting suck with a trash barrowch block for my 2070 super, and I'm pleased to have a heatkiller option this go round.

In fact, I got to microcenter in the middle of a weekday and they had four or five options to choose from on 3090s. I carefully checked the water cool and aquacomputer compatibility charts before picking the pny. 😜