Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

G23 Mr Gimp

Caliper Novice
Bronze Supporter
Sep 14, 2020
Just a quick Q for some of you lads and lasses that have watercooled this side of the decade:

I'm about to hit the go button on some water cooling components, (2 x HWL GTS 280s among other things) and was wondering which pump to be looking at for adequate flow and unobtrusive mounting (I ordered the pump mount with the case).

Gonna be using a Aquacomputer Kryos CPU block and probably their 2080Ti block too unless I can get a 3080.

Reactions: Qzrx

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
Just a quick Q for some of you lads and lasses that have watercooled this side of the decade:

I'm about to hit the go button on some water cooling components, (2 x HWL GTS 280s among other things) and was wondering which pump to be looking at for adequate flow and unobtrusive mounting (I ordered the pump mount with the case).

Gonna be using a Aquacomputer Kryos CPU block and probably their 2080Ti block too unless I can get a 3080.

I’m running an MCP50X in my build right now and it works quite nicely. Decibel for decibel it outperforms DDC pumps, and turning it down to 25% speed I haven’t seen my CPU, GPU, or water temperatures rise compared to 100%, even under OCCT power stress tests.

If you get an FE or reference 3080/3090 and a short enough (<232mm or so) water block you can fit a D5 behind the block without much issue.

Reactions: G23 Mr Gimp

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Maybe someone can tell me if I’m losing my marbles… I can’t find a reference to the pump bracket in my pledge—should I have configured this at the time of the pledge, or does it come with every case? 😲

kdude

Cable Smoosher
Dec 5, 2020
Maybe someone can tell me if I’m losing my marbles… I can’t find a reference to the pump bracket in my pledge—should I have configured this at the time of the pledge, or does it come with every case? 😲
It was an additional add-on to your pledge

G23 Mr Gimp

Caliper Novice
Bronze Supporter
Sep 14, 2020
I’m running an MCP50X in my build right now and it works quite nicely. Decibel for decibel it outperforms DDC pumps, and turning it down to 25% speed I haven’t seen my CPU, GPU, or water temperatures rise compared to 100%, even under OCCT power stress tests.

If you get an FE or reference 3080/3090 and a short enough (<232mm or so) water block you can fit a D5 behind the block without much issue.

Thank you, that's great info, much appreciated.

I'll in all likelihood be going 3080, just awaiting the Ti to ensure I don't have to buy a different block from the current FE when it lands.
In the meantime, I need to plan out tubing routes as I'm tempted to hardline this one....

You should have had the option for the drive cage and pump bracket in the original pledge. If you log in to KS and check your options it should be present there.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
It was an additional add-on to your pledge

You should have had the option for the drive cage and pump bracket in the original pledge. If you log in to KS and check your options it should be present there.

I sure thought so—pretty sure now that I flubbed it when switching tiers. I can see the "Add-Ons" flag on the selected reward, but not what was offered, nor what (if any) add-ons were part of my pledge. 🤔

I'll ping Fouzan via KS. Thanks for the confirmation! 💕

G23 Mr Gimp

Caliper Novice
Bronze Supporter
Sep 14, 2020
Next stupid question: I was planning on running the pump off the mobo header and adjusting fan curves via coolant temp, but it appears my motherboard doesn't have a temp sensor and the pump header is only 2A. I'm gonna assume an Aquaero LT is the play here?

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Aquacomputer Quadro is a better and cheaper choice if all your fans are PWM(it doesnt work with DC fans)
Winter indicated a quadro can mount on the main chassis support. I think it should be possible to hide all the cables and quadro behind the gpu with a plug-style temp sensor mounted to the "top" of the gpu water block. Note - looks like all temp sensors are overpriced (probably another pandemic supply issue). That barrow, for example, used to go for $3.50 a few months ago.

Your mobo's 2A pump header is enough to drive a standard DDC (EK DDC 3.2 calls for 18W). You can either modify the DDC cable like this or find a DDC driven off 4-pin only.

Last edited:

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020
Next stupid question: I was planning on running the pump off the mobo header and adjusting fan curves via coolant temp, but it appears my motherboard doesn't have a temp sensor and the pump header is only 2A. I'm gonna assume an Aquaero LT is the play here?

Your mobo's 2A pump header is enough to drive a standard DDC (EK DDC 3.2 calls for 18W). You can either modify the DDC cable like this or find a DDC driven off 4-pin only.

Looks like EK's D5 PWM comes in just under or right at 2A. I might get brave and try that. As for re-wiring the pump to 4pin, it's super easy, but requires some extra time and investment in pin removal tools, crip tool, and pins. I can barely solder something without it looking like a 2yr old went ape on it, and I find re-crimping wires easy.

I've never seen a temp header on an itx board, that'd be super cool.

Reactions: DrHudacris

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
I've never seen a temp header on an itx board, that'd be super cool.
It's more common than you think. For example, everyone's favorite strix has one (except pump header only rated for AIO pumps). I think OT just released a video today on using temp sensors and he plugged his sensor directly into his mobo. I've taken this option over the quadro for the sake of build simplicity.

Reactions: DrHudacris

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Kickstarter Update #4! was just posted.

Hello everyone! :) Just posted Kickstarter Update 4. Figured i'd drop a link / note here as well. Validation is ongoing, but not yet complete. The full Batch 1 order has been tallied up and submitted, and there's a sneak peek at how the case will be packaged if you read the update.

The box design itself, I will leave as a surprise for delivery day.

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
If you go for a 3080 (Ti) / (FE) that is short enough, you could fit a D5 Next - which does have an integrated temp sensor & the possibility to directly power and control your fans.

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020
I really like the looks of that D5 Next and the build in sensors are great. Any recommendations for a pump top that fits in the winter one? The ULTITOP D5 seems to be out of stock everywhere in the US.

kdude

Cable Smoosher
Dec 5, 2020
If I'm after a completely silent build in this case with a ryzen 5800x and radeon 6800, what is the best route? Will watercooling make a big difference?

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Alrighty pal. Spill the beans. We discussed screws but something more important has come up. What is the packing foam made from?

That is currently TBD mainly due to the time and supplier crunch we're seeing right now. CAD files for packing foams have been sent to various suppliers, and we're waiting for samples of the packaging foams to arrive. We have to do durability testing against the parts before we can lock in the foam. The options before us are:

1. Recycled EVA foam - (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) , it is the least environmentally friendly option I'd be willing to use, but also has the highest density, which *may* be necessary. I won't know until I can test samples directly with parts. It also happens to feel the nicest. Those of you lucky few who unboxed an FE card recently, have felt this stuff. It's nice, and has a luxurious feel with little yield, but I would prefer to use something less environmentally damaging.

2. Recycled PE foams (EPE and XPE) (Polyethylene / X-linked Poylethylene) - These are foams with much lower carbon impact, and are nice and stiff, but may not be the most rigid, or the strongest foams available right now. They feel less nice than the EVA foams, and tend to degrade faster. While stiff and having little yield, they can break / degrade. I've seen these in varying densities, but none quite as stiff as the EVA foams.

EVA and PE are *both* recyclable, but are usually not recycled in considerable volume. To make these greener then they would usually be, we're going specifically with recycled EVA or Recycled PE. We wanted to encourage recyclers by providing the market with another company who wants to use recycled-product-based packaging, and to potentially explore if there's room for a closed loop approach here.

3. Cellulose Foams (corn product foams) - These are biodegradable foams, made from corn products. The nice part about these is that they're compostable, and dissolve quite quickly in water. The downside of these... they aren't as strong, which is concerning when it comes to packing a heavy stack of metal parts. I want to use them, and plan to unless they are unable to protect the parts. If we do use them, they can literally be used as plant food, or dissolved so fast you can put them in the sink, and run hot water over them to make the foam go away. This is fantastic for the planet. Plants are a renewable resource, and a carbon sink.

4. Pulp Packing Inserts (potato or bamboo product heat-formed paper-inserts) -- These are nice, in that they are heat formed from a mold. The issue we're running into here is that said molds take a bit of time to develop, and the companies that do this have pretty similar lead times. we're running against a time barrier, which is a big concern. Second, paper-pulp processes use a decent bit more water, compared to the cellulose foam stuff.

---------------------

So how will this work?

Our Preference Order (most to least desirable) is: #3 -> #4 -> #2 -> #1.

The green options: #3 and #4 are the two top choices, in that order. Currently, Pulp Packing lead times are outside our shipping deadline, so it's being evaluated for batch 2 or 3, while we work with these companies to make the molds. Cellulose Foams (and other biodegradable foams of similar type) we have samples of, incoming, and quotes on the way. If samples of Cellulose Foam are not strong enough, we will have to go with recycled EPE. If the EPE or the other green options are still not strong enough to protect the parts, then we will have to go with recycled EVA foams, until we can find a better alternative (potentially layers of heat formed pulp trays).

I don't like having to use EPE or EVA foams, as they are petroleum products, but they are actually recyclable, and we will be using the recyclable stock material to minimize impact.

In either case, we will offset the extra carbon emissions with more trees. <3

---------------------

Foams/Materials we are NOT using:

PS (Polystyrene), PVC (Polyvinylchloride), and, PU foam (Polyurethane) -- these are horrific for the environment, and bad for you (the user). No one should use them. some release chlorine, cynates, and other fun toxic compounds like PVC. Some also form coarse particles that, if breathed in, can cause asthma flare-ups. We are going to be avoid these.

---------------------

I hope that discussion answers your question... If you have other ideas, please float them to me! <3

Last edited: