Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
That's most likely this cooler, no? I wouldn't expect the SPK to be that close to production.

Correct. This is noctua's own passive cooler, NOT the SPK.

I know winter has been quiet about which manufacturer they’ve been working with for the SPK, but would it actually be noctua? 😱🤯🥶

I cannot say directly. And it's going to be a while before we see it, but when it comes out, you'll know. :)

ckrueger99

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2020
For bifurcation, whether x8x8 or x8x4x4, which form factor works better with the included riser cable: right turn or left turn ( or straight). I'm thinking about the C_Payne x8x8 right turn - 1 Slot distance offset 28mm or the x8x8 left turn - 1 Slot distance, but they have others that might fit better, too. The way I see it, the left turn requires some slack in the riser cable, in order to loop beneath the bifurcation riser, while the right turn requires that there is space for additional slack in the cable. I'm guessing the latter works better...

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
For bifurcation, whether x8x8 or x8x4x4, which form factor works better with the included riser cable: right turn or left turn ( or straight). I'm thinking about the C_Payne x8x8 right turn - 1 Slot distance offset 28mm or the x8x8 left turn - 1 Slot distance, but they have others that might fit better, too. The way I see it, the left turn requires some slack in the riser cable, in order to loop beneath the bifurcation riser, while the right turn requires that there is space for additional slack in the cable. I'm guessing the latter works better...

Winter One's PCIE Riser is mounted to the arm, and is a double-reverse cable (similar to the one found in the FormD-T1) to minimize the number of wire-bends.

If you plan to use Bifurcation, you will want a riser cable that attaches to the central spine, which is at a 90º angle from the direction of the slots. Therefore, I think this cable is what you would want. The only issue I see is that I am not sure how well it is aligned to the slots of Winter One. You may have to make your own 90º brackets, similar to the ones they have in the product image, if the standoffs are not aligned the way they expect (since they say it's for the Dan A4 / Ghost S1).

https://peine-braun.net/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=65_59&product_id=87

ckrueger99

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2020
So this is a "left turn" card. Therefore the Winter riser cable will have to be long enough to pass underneath the card. Do you think this is possible?

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Hello,

I have some questions about my build. I have an Asus strix X570-I motherboard and I had planned to install my Apogee Drive II. Unfortunately, my memory sticks are too high (G skill Trident Z royal) and touch the apogee input or output, it depends on the direction of installation. I don't know if I should try to change the memory sticks or take a waterblock without a pump. I have a 3090 FE that will be very short once watercooled. I should be able to put a pump on the Winterone bracket.

It's hard to think without the case... o_O

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@WinterCharm glad that the launch & KS campaign has gone very well so far. Have you thought about moving the spine to either side to support classic layout? Would be interested in a WinterTwo that supports mDTX motherboard and classic layout as it is where I'm heading too. At the same 15.6L as the WinterOne, such a case would be able to do a lot.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Kickstarter Update 5: Winter One shipping date pushed back to late January

Hello everyone, I’ve got unfortunate news about shipping dates for Winter One’s first batch. Due to issues we ran into, we’re pushing back our estimated ship date to late January. I know this is disappointing to hear, and in order to be transparent, I’ll walk through what went wrong and how we’re addressing it.

What Went Wrong: Our Packaging Supplier Backed Out
On Tuesday, a key supplier for the Winter One packaging that we originally contracted a month ago called us this week and said they were backing out of the deal. They currently don’t have the capacity to accommodate us right now due to an overwhelming holiday season.

How We’ve Addressed It:
We spent the last few days looking for and securing a new packaging supplier. We have found another supplier who is able to meet our packaging needs, and placed an order with them on Friday. Unfortunately, they will not be able to deliver packaging before Christmas.

What Went Wrong: We are having difficulty finding a lab to do material testing.
Part of our verification before production begins is having a materials lab run a metallurgy report to make sure the aluminum we are using is properly alloyed and free of defects. We have not been able to find a lab local to our manufacturers that could do this before the end of December. Shipping samples to the United States in order to use a local lab could get this report in quickly, will take longer than expected, due to holiday shipping times.

How We’ve Addressed It:
Samples were taken and sent to a US lab, as well as a lab local to our manufacturers. No matter which result arrives first, it will allow us to move forward as quickly as possible. If the results do not come before the Christmas shutdown, we will move forward with production but will have the factory hold the shipment until the metal reports come in so they can resolve any potential issues.

Why did we choose late January?

Late January is an estimate based on the ‘worst case' of our current lead times around production, lab testing, packaging, and QC. Pushing things back is disappointing, however I would rather not pick another ambitious shipping date and need to push the date back a second time, leading to further disappointment.

Late January gives us time to resolve these issues with the least chance of needing to make another delay announcement. If things go well, we will ship earlier and surprise you with good news at that time. If things do not go well, we should be able to ship by the revised deadline. I know many of you were looking forward to a Winter One Christmas, and I sincerely apologize for the extra wait. I want to make sure that Winter One lives up to your expectations, and in order to do that we need more time. Thank you for being patient with us.

----------------------------

So this is a "left turn" card. Therefore the Winter riser cable will have to be long enough to pass underneath the card. Do you think this is possible?

Oh. No, the riser cable is not going to be long enough to do that. It's perfectly sized to not encroach on the fan/radiator space above / below the central spine. If you can get a similar layout for a right-turn card, that would be ideal.

Hello,

I have some questions about my build. I have an Asus strix X570-I motherboard and I had planned to install my Apogee Drive II. Unfortunately, my memory sticks are too high (G skill Trident Z royal) and touch the apogee input or output, it depends on the direction of installation. I don't know if I should try to change the memory sticks or take a waterblock without a pump. I have a 3090 FE that will be very short once watercooled. I should be able to put a pump on the Winterone bracket.

It's hard to think without the case... o_O

You should have plenty of room behind a water-cooled 3090FE to put a DDC pump on the bracket.

@WinterCharm glad that the launch & KS campaign has gone very well so far. Have you thought about moving the spine to either side to support classic layout? Would be interested in a WinterTwo that supports mDTX motherboard and classic layout as it is where I'm heading too. At the same 15.6L as the WinterOne, such a case would be able to do a lot.

This is something we explored during early development, but may be worth re-visiting. I'm not convinced of its feasibility, but it doesn't hurt to check again in the future.

D

Deleted member 23607

Hello everyone, I’ve got unfortunate news about shipping dates for Winter One’s first batch. Due to issues we ran into, we’re pushing back our estimated ship date to late January. I know this is disappointing to hear, and in order to be transparent, I’ll walk through what went wrong and how we’re addressing it.

On Tuesday, a key supplier for the Winter One packaging that we originally contracted a month ago called us this week and said they were backing out of the deal. They currently don’t have the capacity to accommodate us right now due to an overwhelming holiday season.

How We’ve Addressed It:
We spent the last few days looking for and securing a new packaging supplier. We have found another supplier who is able to meet our packaging needs, and placed an order with them on Friday. Unfortunately, they will not be able to deliver packaging before Christmas.

Part of our verification before production begins is having a materials lab run a metallurgy report to make sure the aluminum we are using is properly alloyed and free of defects. We have not been able to find a lab local to our manufacturers that could do this before the end of December. Shipping samples to the United States in order to use a local lab could get this report in quickly, will take longer than expected, due to holiday shipping times.

How We’ve Addressed It:
Samples were taken and sent to a US lab, as well as a lab local to our manufacturers. No matter which result arrives first, it will allow us to move forward as quickly as possible. If the results do not come before the Christmas shutdown, we will move forward with production but will have the factory hold the shipment until the metal reports come in so they can resolve any potential issues.

Late January is an estimate based on the ‘worst case' of our current lead times around production, lab testing, packaging, and QC. Pushing things back is disappointing, however I would rather not pick another ambitious shipping date and need to push the date back a second time, leading to further disappointment.

Late January gives us time to resolve these issues with the least chance of needing to make another delay announcement. If things go well, we will ship earlier and surprise you with good news at that time. If things do not go well, we should be able to ship by the revised deadline. I know many of you were looking forward to a Winter One Christmas, and I sincerely apologize for the extra wait. I want to make sure that Winter One lives up to your expectations, and in order to do that we need more time. Thank you for being patient with us.

Oh. No, the riser cable is not going to be long enough to do that. It's perfectly sized to not encroach on the fan/radiator space above / below the central spine. If you can get a similar layout for a right-turn card, that would be ideal.

You should have plenty of room behind a water-cooled 3090FE to put a DDC pump on the bracket.

This is something we explored during early development, but may be worth re-visiting. I'm not convinced of its feasibility, but it doesn't hurt to check again in the future.

Wow, ouch. They just backed out? Surely they can't do that.

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Wow, ouch. They just backed out? Surely they can't do that.

They paid the termination clause fees. Based on the person I spoke with, it seemed that one of their larger partners asked for more capacity, and they had to free it up from smaller customers, by either paying the termination clauses, or pushing back the delivery dates of their less important partners (read: us). Ultimately, it was better from my perspective and the Winter One timeline to switch partners, rather than keep the same partners who had just pushed back their delivery dates for packaging to March...

This holiday season is rough in terms of the effect we've seen on shipping times and the strain on packaging and shipping suppliers. It's unreal... everyone is trapped at home, but wants to celebrate the holidays after a pretty rough year, so I get why. But it causes all sorts of chaos on supply chains, especially for smaller players.

Neptimus7

Caliper Novice
Mar 16, 2020

How We’ve Addressed It:

How We’ve Addressed It:

I'm confused about the lab situation. Are the results expected before the Christmas shutdown? And why would production happen before the results get back?

D

Deleted member 23607

They paid the termination clause fees. Based on the person I spoke with, it seemed that one of their larger partners asked for more capacity, and they had to free it up from smaller customers, by either paying the termination clauses, or pushing back the delivery dates of their less important partners (read: us). Ultimately, it was better from my perspective and the Winter One timeline to switch partners, rather than keep the same partners who had just pushed back their delivery dates for packaging to March...

This holiday season is rough in terms of the effect we've seen on shipping times and the strain on packaging and shipping suppliers. It's unreal... everyone is trapped at home, but wants to celebrate the holidays after a pretty rough year, so I get why. But it causes all sorts of chaos on supply chains, especially for smaller players.

I see, that's awful. However my condolences go out to both you and your supplier. COVID hasn't made the situation any better either.

Neptimus7

Caliper Novice
Mar 16, 2020
Also, I for one am not upset about the new shipment date, and I doubt I'm the only one. We all wanted a Christmas build, but there's no stock of anything (except RAM). What's the point in having a shiny case if there's nothing to stuff it with, ya know? Just keep on with the updates; the transparency is greatly appreciated and helps build confidence.

QuantumCereal

Case Bender
New User
Oct 12, 2020
Out of curiosity, how does the revised batch one shipping timeline affect the batch two shipments? I opted for a silver case (thank you for offering that option by the way!) and am perfectly happy waiting for batch 2. Honestly I could probably use the extra time to try and obtain a 3080/sfx 750w. . .

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I'm confused about the lab situation. Are the results expected before the Christmas shutdown? And why would production happen before the results get back?
If shipping works out to the US lab that I asked to run tests, in time, we can do it before christmas. If not, both labs would test materials a bit after christmas. Production will go forward, because we have a secured metal supply and I don't want to delay. However, contractually, our supplier is obligated to deliver parts made with the right metals. If there are any issues within our metal batch, then they will re-run the problematic parts immediately, with lots of known good metal. We secured a supply of metal a few months ago, so if we need to send over more metal to re-run a few parts, the warehouse is quite close to the factory (1-2 hours).

What I'm hedging on is that our supply was good from the start. Testing will confirm this. If it shows some lots are bad, we have enough spare Aluminum supply to re-run some parts with known good Lots, and we get a net-gain on time for the parts that did run with good metal. We cannot use our Lots of bad metal anyways, so nothing is really lost, except a bit of machine time. On the other hand, if the Lot turns out good, then we've shaved 1+ weeks off the timeline. If some metals were bad we can trace which parts were made with those Lots, and run a new set of parts. that may take us +2 days, but -7+2 = -5 so we would still gain 5 days earlier timeline.

If all tested lots were bad, we still have metal supply we can dip into and the timeline slips to the "worst case". So anything better than that is a net-win. I hope that cleared up why this decision was made. In either case, finished parts will be 6061-T6. No parts made of "bad stock metal" will leave the factory.

Also, I for one am not upset about the new shipment date, and I doubt I'm the only one. We all wanted a Christmas build, but there's no stock of anything (except RAM). What's the point in having a shiny case if there's nothing to stuff it with, ya know? Just keep on with the updates; the transparency is greatly appreciated and helps build confidence.

Thank you <3 That means a lot. I was quite nervous about having to break bad news, but ultimately decided to be as transparent as possible, and talk about exactly what went wrong, because I feel like anything less would feel worse.

Out of curiosity, how does the revised batch one shipping timeline affect the batch two shipments? I opted for a silver case (thank you for offering that option by the way!) and am perfectly happy waiting for batch 2. Honestly I could probably use the extra time to try and obtain a 3080/sfx 750w. . .

We ordered enough packaging to cover batch 1+2, and have enough aluminum to cover the next 3-4 batches (assuming 200-300 orders in each batch). We may end up opening Batch 2 orders a *bit* earlier than Batch 1 ship dates, due to the timeline sliding this delay has caused, but that would give Batch 2 a delivery date of Late February/Early March.

We've sourced enough stock parts to cover Batch 1+2, so Batch 2 should ship relatively quickly after Batch 1. This first batch has tons of "spin up" pain associated with it. Supply chains are just gigantic Rube Goldberg machines designed to make and deliver products. Building one comes with many growing pains, but it starts to pay off in subsequent batches.

Last edited:

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Winter One shipping date pushed back to late January

Like several others I am not surprised given the time of year but love the communication and honesty.

Well done on getting fixes in without compromising your vision.

In summary:

Batch 1 (black) expected shipping late Jan
Batch 2 (silver) expected shipping late Feb

So approx a one month delay? That’s awesome if you can achieve that. Do you expect the new year (China) to potentially impact the 2nd batch?

What’s your expected shipping durations once batches are complete? Have you decided on carrier and service?