Where can I find custom PSU cables HDPlex 250W?

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
May 14, 2016
I was looking to getting custom length cabled for the HDPlex 250W. I emailed the guy from HDplex, who was awesome, and told me it was a standard atx cable.

I tried to contact cablemods for this and he told me there was no "standard" atx cable, as they have different pinouts. Upon looking online I saw the HDPlex was using a standard pinout..so I don't know where to go from there.

I need something in the 20cm range. Unfortunately, the only thing that matched in length were PSU Extension cables. Can someone point me in the right direction?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Can't you just show the guy from cablemod the pinout of the HDPLEX? "Standard" in this case means it has the exact same pinout as the connector on the motherboard, maybe tell him that.

The cablemod rep is right in that no standard pinout exists for modular PSUs, they all do some things a little different, that's why they offer different sets for different kinds of PSUs.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
May 14, 2016
Can't you just show the guy from cablemod the pinout of the HDPLEX? "Standard" in this case means it has the exact same pinout as the connector on the motherboard, maybe tell him that.

The cablemod rep is right in that no standard pinout exists for modular PSUs, they all do some things a little different, that's why they offer different sets for different kinds of PSUs.

Funny you said that...because I did send them the photos and they said no. I did find two custom cable companies that would do it after a few emails. One of the two said no...but he would send me the connectors and crimped cables and I can insert it in myself...which I will probably end up doing.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah that sounds like a reasonable solution. Strange that they wouldn't want to do it, but you never know where these cables are actually assembled. They probably don't want to be held liable if something goes wrong and breaks your hardware.

TheJadeBuddha

Case Bender
Aug 12, 2016
I would love to know if anyone can find a supplier as I am in the exact same boat.

I contacted HD-Plex directly and asked if they could provide a brand/model of PSU whose cables would be compatible with theirs. But their response was that it was 'standard' ATX.

I really don't have the time to custom sleeve everything so if anyone knows of a PSU whose cables will work with the HDPLEX 250W - Please shout out.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm trying to convince CableMod to offer cables but there doesn't seem to be enough interest yet, be sure to fill out the survey here to show them there's demand: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/any-interest-in-custom-length-hdplex-cables.860/

Anyway, the SilverStone modular pinout should work for the HDPLEX's for the 24-pin and 8-pin CPU: http://www.overclock.net/t/1519061/...sx600-g-sx500-lg-owners-club/30#post_23203247

6-pin PCIe could work too (with some rearranging of the pins after you get it) but the 8-pin PCIe won't since the HDPLEX doubles up two of the ground wires on their harness instead.

Edit: Fixed link for SilverStone pinout.

Last edited:

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
I'm sure Pexon or Icemodz or one of those folks who do custom cables will be happy to wire up a set for you too if you get in touch with them. Basically the only difference from a PSU extension cable is that both ends would be female connector.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm sure Pexon or Icemodz or one of those folks who do custom cables will be happy to wire up a set for you too if you get in touch with them. Basically the only difference from a PSU extension cable is that both ends would be female connector.
Extension cables are easy because they use a 1:1 pinout, while PSU manufacturers have wildly different pinouts especially for the 24-pin cables. The problem with this is that their inventory or logistics would increase by more than a few times:

Example:
- 4 lengths
- 5 colors of sleeving
- 4 different cables (24-pin, 4/8 pin EPS, SATA/Molex, PCIe)
= 80 different cables

If one would change this to cables instead of extensions:
- 4 lengths
- 5 colors of sleeving
- 6 different cables (24-pin, 4/8 pin EPS, SATA, Molex, PCIe x1, PCIe x2
- 12 different pinouts (brands + models, guestimate)
= 1440 different cables

So that's basically going from a stock-model to a build-to-order model, meaning a lot of extra costs in machines/equipment, people and logistics.

I'm not sure many sellers will embrace this kind of added complexity and cost for a niche of a niche market. CableMod can, because they are already setup for built-to-order for all those different lengths (14+) and colors (16), with two kinds of sleeves and a lot of cable configurations.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Extension cables are easy because they use a 1:1 pinout, while PSU manufacturers have wildly different pinouts especially for the 24-pin cables. The problem with this is that their inventory or logistics would increase by more than a few times:

Example:
- 4 lengths
- 5 colors of sleeving
- 4 different cables (24-pin, 4/8 pin EPS, SATA/Molex, PCIe)
= 80 different cables

If one would change this to cables instead of extensions:
- 4 lengths
- 5 colors of sleeving
- 6 different cables (24-pin, 4/8 pin EPS, SATA, Molex, PCIe x1, PCIe x2
- 12 different pinouts (brands + models, guestimate)
= 1440 different cables

So that's basically going from a stock-model to a build-to-order model, meaning a lot of extra costs in machines/equipment, people and logistics.

I'm not sure many sellers will embrace this kind of added complexity and cost for a niche of a niche market. CableMod can, because they are already setup for built-to-order for all those different lengths (14+) and colors (16), with two kinds of sleeves and a lot of cable configurations.

Not sure about Icemodz but Pexon at least is 100% custom, and the guy does good work - I've gotten a few USB cables from him in the past.

Reactions: Phuncz