PSU Cables from different manufacturers

KzE

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
Hello Forum..

According to the post-link on reddit below, PSU manufaturers wire their
cables differently in terms of pin layout. So when using cables from one
and the PSU from the other you can fry your parts.

I am using a HDPLEX 250W, and wanted to use sleeved cables
from cablemod.com, MOBO is AsRock z170 Extreme7+.
Is there a possibility there could be problems?

I don't properly understand where this problem is coming from.
The connectors are standardized, shouldn't they all be the same?
I heard as long as I use the cables from HDPLEX put only buy
extensions it will be ok?

*confused*

best,

Philipp

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3tavsa/

Last edited by a moderator:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The connectors are indeed standardised but the pinouts are totally different among manufacturers and even models (from the same manufacturer).
It's indeed becoming a problem because of the huge downside (destroying customer's hardware) and the fairly limited upside (requiring less wires, better stability in some scenarios, more sensing)

Extensions don't matter since they are (should be) straight 1:1 pinouts, but it's the replacement cables that are the issue.

Reactions: KzE

KzE

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
So are the pinins on the MOBO always the same then? Just the other side is different?

Can I recognize them when the cables are not straight? Or are the pinswitches done
inside the PSU on their board?

As rule of thumb, if the connector on the hardware looks the same as the one on the
PSU, will it be compatible?

Edit: thanks for fixing the link :)

Last edited:

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Devices:
PSU, Extension Cables, Peripherals

Cables:
PSU->Peripheral, Extension Cable

1) All peripherals of the same type have the same pinout - e.g. All motherboard 24pin holes have the same pinout.
2)Therefore, for all PSU's to be able to connect to all peripherals, ONE End of the cable must match the peripheral pinout.
3) So for the cable PSU->Peripheral, ALL cables will have the same peripheral end. However the PSU end might NOT be the same.
4) The Extension cable is from peripheral to ~(inverse)peripheral. So whenever you use extension cables, you extend between the peripheral and the psu->peripheral cable. Therefore, since all psu->peripheral have a peripheral end and all motherboards have a peripheral end, the extension cable pinout is peripheral on one end, ~(inverse)peripheral on the other end.

Last edited:
Reactions: KzE

KzE

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
wow, crystal clear.
I am a visual person anyways, so that greately helped.
Thank you.

I am using the HDPLEX 250W and there are diagrams
on their website. I couldn't find the diagram for standard
hardware pinin layout MOBO/GPU/CPU.. share a link? :)

Reactions: Phuncz

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The PCIe auxiliary power interface is specced by the PCISIG, and they don't officially release *anything* publicly - all their materials are marked "Confidential". If you Google, you will find PDF Powerpoint presentations available online from PSISIG showing the 8- and 6-pin specifications.