Other Custom Cable Question

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

Thinking of ordering a set of custom cables for my DC-DC board and I was wondering something. When I look at all of the different PSUs that a custom cable distributor makes (ie. Cablemod), is it only the ATX 24 Pin pinout that is proprietary to a specific PSU, or are the 8 pin PCIe, 4+4 pin or SATA also likely to be proprietary?

Mar 6, 2017
My Corsair SF600 has proprietary cables for everything (Same cables for the SF450) as far as I can tell. You may be able to find the pinouts for your DC-DC board and either see if there is a matching PSU they already have cables for, but I would just get a completely custom set.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There's no standard for modular connectors. Even within the same brand there can be differences due to different OEMs.

SilverStone is a modder favorite because they use the same pinout across almost their entire line and it's a 1 to 1 pinout with no doubled wires.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That's good to know. So basically with the exception of the 24 pin you could assume a Silverstone set is compatible with the HDPlex? Also this seems like a very large missed opportunity for OEMs to have adopted a universal pinout. I can't figure out what the rationale to have different pinouts is other than to be a massive dick.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The 24-pin and CPU should be compatible (though please double-check), the PCIe is not. SilverStone uses the PCIe pinout, HDPLEX reuses the CPU pinout for the PCIe.

Problem is, CPU has 12V on the clip side, while 6-pin PCIe has GND on the clip side. Then the two extra for the 8-pin PCIe are both ground, so the HDPLEX cable is doubled on one ground wire.

SATA is also different, SilverStone uses a 6-pin connector to get the 3.3V in there while HDPLEX uses and 4-pin and just doesn't have the 3.3V on the SATA.