Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Ghostrunner.

Half lots of fun, half "why do I do this to myself..."

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Hero's hour has been released, not Linux native but will get it anyway. I'm a huge fan of Heroes of Might & Magic
My spider-sense has detected somebody in the Internet mentioning Linux native and Heroes of Might and Magic on the same sentence.
I wonder, have you fooled around with the Warhammer Total War series? Specifically TWW3 is a really big deal right now.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Fired up Cyberpunk for the first time in a while on an Oled screen and after messing with it for a while, realized it looks ridiculously awesome at "night time" out in the Desert area when the ultra low black level can really be appreciated, especially in a pitch black room. On a regular backlit monitor this would cause me huge eyestrain, and so I never play in a pitch dark room anymore because the brightness has to be so high (or rather, the brightness can't be lowered enough to still present acceptable contrast without eyestrain). But, when lowering Oled pixel brightness a ton, it still has crazy good contrast with no eyestrain whatsoever even in a pitch black room since the black level is so low. Furthermore, Cyberpunk has setting to turn off the HUD, which then makes it more atmospheric with even less eyestrain. It started to approach a Stalker level of immersion for a bit actually, before the shit AI / bugs / lame repetitive NPCs ruined it of course. It really looked similar to what being outside under actual moonlight looks like.

I can say Im pretty much sold on PC gaming to a TV, monitor is now retired except for color critical work and stuff where UI scaling makes a TV a fucking pain.

Reactions: Phuncz

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
Fired up Cyberpunk for the first time in a while on an Oled screen and after messing with it for a while, realized it looks ridiculously awesome at "night time" out in the Desert area when the ultra low black level can really be appreciated, especially in a pitch black room. On a regular backlit monitor this would cause me huge eyestrain, and so I never play in a pitch dark room anymore because the brightness has to be so high (or rather, the brightness can't be lowered enough to still present acceptable contrast without eyestrain). But, when lowering Oled pixel brightness a ton, it still has crazy good contrast with no eyestrain whatsoever even in a pitch black room since the black level is so low. Furthermore, Cyberpunk has setting to turn off the HUD, which then makes it more atmospheric with even less eyestrain. It started to approach a Stalker level of immersion for a bit actually, before the shit AI / bugs / lame repetitive NPCs ruined it of course. It really looked similar to what being outside under actual moonlight looks like.

I can say Im pretty much sold on PC gaming to a TV, monitor is now retired except for color critical work and stuff where UI scaling makes a TV a fucking pain.
I have to say, can't wait to see some reviews on those Samsung Display's-QD-OLED-panels-based monitors like the latest 21:9 Alienware AW3423DW or the (I hope) soon-to-be-released Samsung Electronics version of it, which will probably be native FreeSync and G-Sync compatible as their previous monitors, unlike the Alienware, which is G-Sync native and therefore not FreeSync compatible. I have a first generation G-Sync monitor (PG278Q) which, when paired with my then 970 (eventually 2x SLI of them), was glorious in its frame-by-frame refresh sync, but, when I moved to an RX 590, had to fall back to no syncing and, let me just say this, you DON'T WANT TO GO BACK once you tried G-Sync/FreeSync.

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
Just fyi, new gsync native (ones with hw module) monitors are freesync compatible now. @LeChuck81

Is this a fact? I mean that new G-Sync hardware modules do support FreeSync too (over DP, at least)? That would be very good news, lately I avoided G-Sync hw module base monitors for this matter specifically, moreso considering AMD is coming back on the GPU market.
I was looking for some info, it seems that other Alienware monitors with G-Sync hw module do also support FreeSync, but it's yet to be confirmed (as far as I can find) if it's still the case for this AW3423DW.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Is this a fact? I mean that new G-Sync hardware modules do support FreeSync too (over DP, at least)? That would be very good news, lately I avoided G-Sync hw module base monitors for this matter specifically, moreso considering AMD is coming back on the GPU market.
I was looking for some info, it seems that other Alienware monitors with G-Sync hw module do also support FreeSync, but it's yet to be confirmed (as far as I can find) if it's still the case for this AW3423DW.
Yeah pure fact, idk exactly since when but for a year now at least.

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
In honor of THIS

I'm playing again, for the n-th time, The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

I honestly didn't believe I would have witnessed the day Ron Gilbert's Monkey Island 3 would have been a reality, so hyped! 😁😁😁

Reactions: BaK and Phuncz

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
yeah saw it, waiting for the second part :) I would prefer if they anabled at least 240hz because panel can handle much more, but guess they are leaving something for next gen.

Part two is out (by a bunch of days, tbh 😅), but I still have to watch it.

Reactions: riba2233

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
In honor of THIS

I'm playing again, for the n-th time, The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

I honestly didn't believe I would have witnessed the day Ron Gilbert's Monkey Island 3 would have been a reality, so hyped! 😁😁😁

What ?!? A new Monkey Island ?!? I spent SO MANY hours on that game on my Amiga, back in the days.

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
What ?!? A new Monkey Island ?!? I spent SO MANY hours on that game on my Amiga, back in the days.
In pure Ron Gilbert's style, he announced it on April 1st on his blog and, ofc, noone believed him. Then on April the 4th, he tweeted this.
And the world has been a (little) better place since then. 😁😁😁

It's gonna be a direct sequel of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. And, in Ron Gilbert's words (can't find where I read them) "this game won't care about the other sequels, but it will steal whatever Ron Gilbert's liked from them (like Murray, from the reveal trailer). It will be some sort of Monkey Island "3A" game"

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
In pure Ron Gilbert's style, he announced it on April 1st on his blog and, ofc, noone believed him. Then on April the 4th, he tweeted this.
And the world has been a (little) better place since then. 😁😁😁

It's gonna be a direct sequel of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. And, in Ron Gilbert's words (can't find where I read them) "this game won't care about the other sequels, but it will steal whatever Ron Gilbert's liked from them (like Murray, from the reveal trailer). It will be some sort of Monkey Island "3A" game"

That's awesome ! Finaly !