What games are you playing?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Baldur's Gate 3 is finally out!
Looks like it's doing really well too. As someone who played tabletop D&D back in my school days, and the original Baldur's Gate games, I'm keen to check it out.
Unfortunately, I don't have much time to play right now, so I've put it on my wishlist and I'll probably wait and get it on a sale.

Over 650K concurrent players as of this post, and I expect that number will go up.

Baldur's Gate 3 Steam Charts · SteamDB

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Horizon Zero Dawn was on sale, having a blast...many of those older games have great story arcs and play well later.

It is especially current events relevant given all the flap about ChatGPT and "AI" of late.

Last edited:

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Horizon Zero Dawn was on sale, having a blast...many of those older games have great story arcs and play well later.

It is especially current events relevant given all the flap about ChatGPT and "AI" of late.
Horizon Zero Dawn is awesome. And a fantastic piece of gaming work.

No complains from me about it, other than when is Forbidden West ever going to be ported over to PC. Damn you Playstation.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I think I need to either get back to playing on my Nintendo Switch or sell it.

I played around 2 hours into Zelda: Breath of the Wild over a year ago, and just couldn't get used to the controls compared to the keyboard and mouse I'm used to on PC. I'm sure it just takes practice, but outside of fighting and racing games and side scrollers, I'm pretty useless with those thumbsticks!

I did pickup a bundle of the older Diablo games during a recent sale, and I've started playing Diablo II Resurrected with an Xbox controller on my PC, which works pretty well. I think the last time I played that was at 800x600 on Windows 7 over 20 years ago, and that was certainly with a keyboard and mouse!
There is gyro aim as well which comes in clutch at times. It definitely helps when in many a game that include the functionality.

Reactions: AlexTSG

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Started playing Zelda: Oracle of Seasons on the Nintendo Switch online as it has just been added, along with Oracle of Ages.
Nice. I have both on the GBC ...actually, I have quite a nice Game Boy collection from the original grey carts up to to the GBA. Only the good ones. The visuals on the dot-matrix screen, the sounds and the controls... the fact that you hold the whole thing, it has weight and there are buttons. It's a whole other dimension of gaming that offers something a PC cannot (and of course the other way around).
I don't find modern handhelds interesting at all, definitely nothing that does 3D. The GBA is where handheld gaming reached a point where it cannot get better The industry should've stopped at those models and only produce GBA games onward or original GB ones. There was no need to go further as it's only downward from the peak. I know it's not for everyone now, but for me, there's just something about cozying up on a sofa and playing these on their characteristic screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Nice. I have both on the GBC ...actually, I have quite a nice Game Boy collection from the original grey carts up to to the GBA. Only the good ones. The visuals on the dot-matrix screen, the sounds and the controls... the fact that you hold the whole thing, it has weight and there are buttons. It's a whole other dimension of gaming that offers something a PC cannot (and of course the other way around).
I don't find modern handhelds interesting at all, definitely nothing that does 3D. The GBA is where handheld gaming reached a point where it cannot get better The industry should've stopped at those models and only produce GBA games onward or original GB ones. There was no need to go further as it's only downward from the peak. I know it's not for everyone now, but for me, there's just something about cozying up on a sofa and playing these on their characteristic screen.
The SP is one of my favorite consoles. I remember going into a GameStop and picking up Metroid Fusion used for like 8 bones. I miss the physical-only days. They actually had to release complete games then lmao.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
The SP is one of my favorite consoles. I remember going into a GameStop and picking up Metroid Fusion used for like 8 bones. I miss the physical-only days. They actually had to release complete games then lmao.
Metroids on the GBA are great. I even finished Metroid 2 on the original brick and while it seems clunky, it gets awesome very fast. I swear it's like a survival horror on the Game Boy. It's more about exploration and athmosphere with a lot less enemies, there are jumpscares too and the music is chilling. The whole low-tech execution adds to it a lot as well + the cover art on the cart is amazing:)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I definitely love the GBA and PSP. Golden Sun, Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past, Mega Man Battle Network, Metroid Fusion, and Sonic Battle were my jam on GBA. Dissidia Final Fantasy, GTA, Killzone: Liberation, Midnight Club, and Ridge Racer were my jam on PSP.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Started playing The Expanse video game....finally got around to watching the TV series as a primer, the game is episodic shorts but good so far.

Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Started playing The Expanse video game....finally got around to watching the TV series as a primer, the game is episodic shorts but good so far.
Not sure on your reading preference but if you liked the series read the books. Series only lasted 6 seasons but there are 10 main books and a fair bit of the story was missed.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Oh boy, Starfield pre-play for the $$ preorders is here. I really just want to call in 'sick' today 😅

Jebus

Efficiency Noob
Jul 6, 2023
Oh boy, Starfield pre-play for the $$ preorders is here. I really just want to call in 'sick' today 😅
From the early reviews this time I was not disappointed by a BGS game because I expected nothing. Still amazing that they can make a game that feels like it would be a 10/10 8 years ago, but nowadays with so many games with in engine streaming and seamless transitions, you still get loading screens at every door and can't seamlessly circumnavigate a planet like in NMS.

I waited 10 years, I can wait till it hits a bargain, will be worth it for 30€, meanwhile Baldur's Gate 3 can scratch the itch for masterpiece gaming and NMS for engrossing space exploration.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This is the kind of game I forget about for a year or two, until it's fixed and complete. Like Cyberpunk 2077, when it launches with the new expansion and a patch or two later, it'll be a good purchase probably. The advantage of patient gaming is that not only doesn't it mean I'm not a paying test user, I also get to experience the game without most of the bugs. And I don't need the latest GPU, I can just buy a previous gen card.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
From the early reviews this time I was not disappointed by a BGS game because I expected nothing. Still amazing that they can make a game that feels like it would be a 10/10 8 years ago, but nowadays with so many games with in engine streaming and seamless transitions, you still get loading screens at every door and can't seamlessly circumnavigate a planet like in NMS.

I waited 10 years, I can wait till it hits a bargain, will be worth it for 30€, meanwhile Baldur's Gate 3 can scratch the itch for masterpiece gaming and NMS for engrossing space exploration.
Yea seamless transition is cool but Star Citizen has rightly been memed as an elevator simulator because of it.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
This is the kind of game I forget about for a year or two, until it's fixed and complete. Like Cyberpunk 2077, when it launches with the new expansion and a path or two later, it'll be a good purchase probably. The advantage of patient gaming is that not only doesn't it mean I'm not a paying test user, I also get to experience the game without most of the bugs. And I don't need the latest GPU, I can just buy a previous gen card.

So far I haven't found bugs or crashes...but only 3 hours in

Reactions: AlexTSG and rfarmer

Jebus

Efficiency Noob
Jul 6, 2023
This is the kind of game I forget about for a year or two, until it's fixed and complete. Like Cyberpunk 2077, when it launches with the new expansion and a path or two later, it'll be a good purchase probably. The advantage of patient gaming is that not only doesn't it mean I'm not a paying test user, I also get to experience the game without most of the bugs. And I don't need the latest GPU, I can just buy a previous gen card.
A cheaper complete work rather than paying 100€ just to play on release date instead of release date +6, sign me up XD

Patient gamer 4 life, although, with the way subscription is encroaching on gaming (like it did with other media) I can see myself maybe considering engaging in eypatch solutions sooner rather than later. Consider it civil disobedience (while paying for the game once it's heavily discounted or available in physical media).
I 100% refuse to support the current pay for one week earlier access fad. Back in the day, you pulled that shit, you got boycotted into bankruptcy!

Reactions: Phuncz

Jebus

Efficiency Noob
Jul 6, 2023
A cheaper complete work rather than paying 100€ just to play on release date instead of release date +6, sign me up XD

Patient gamer 4 life, although, with the way subscription is encroaching on gaming (like it did with other media) I can see myself maybe considering engaging in eypatch solutions sooner rather than later. Consider it civil disobedience (while paying for the game once it's heavily discounted or available in physical media).
I 100% refuse to support the current pay for one week earlier access fad. Back in the day, you pulled that shit, you got boycotted into bankruptcy!
PS: It's Ironic that the people who pre-ordered the non "rich kid" edition actually end up waiting a week longer than those who got access to the cracked version of the game on the 1st of September. Perhaps there should be a serious discussion about these anti-consumer practices by companies, otherwise the community is going to regress to bad old habits and everyone but the pirates lose in that situation since we've seen how bad garbage like Denuvo can hamper performance which only makes "supporting devs" an even worse proposition... (remember when legitimate users were using cracks because Denuvo made games stuttery and unplayable, good times)

Reactions: rfarmer

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Not exactly something I currently play, but for those who like Junji Ito here's 2D, b/w pixel art game that takes inspiration from his art (well at least that's what the description says in Steam 🙂 )