What did you do today?

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
So, when should we be expecting the unibody 3D-printed full performance sandwich cases to start showing up? :D

All joking aside, while I completely understand how large prints in resin could cause problems, the possibilities with that print volume sound pretty amazing. Hope we get to see some fun projects going forward!
Lol, I have more ideas than I do time. Being able to print an entire case in one go is extremely appealing. The nature of printing at this size means that you wouldn't be stuck with a bland rectangle. You can add details that would normally be very expensive to otherwise machine.

Yeah, I am working on a new idea or two. I find that it's easier to make time for design here and there. What I'm finding I lack the time for, is post-processing and finishing. I know in some ways that I'm getting away from my modding roots, where virtually everything was 'post-processed' and finished. Basically sheet aluminum, a dremel and files. Eh, things evolve, and I'll take what comes.

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
There are a lot of problems with my line of work - a cursory look at mental health statistics for grad students should paint a good picture of that - but I can't deny that it also comes with some major privileges. This has been my office for the past few days.
Main challenges of the job atm: have to provide my own sunscreen, the book I'm reading is too damn good (it's author could likely write my dissertation much, much better than what I'll be able to!), and I keep running out of iced coffee.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
This has been my office for the past few days.
Lucky you, looks beautiful!
Good to see some green btw, here in Switzerland most grass has turned to dry yellow! 😰
I won't mind knowing the title of your book, having a hard time finding something that suits me lately.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Lucky you, looks beautiful!
Good to see some green btw, here in Switzerland most grass has turned to dry yellow! 😰
I won't mind knowing the title of your book, having a hard time finding something that suits me lately.
Yeah, I have a friend who's in Locarno right now, and they say the heat is excruciating. Hope it lets off soon! It's been a warm and dry summer here in southern Sweden as well , but nothing resembling a the kind of heat wave/drought a lot of Europe has seen.

As for the book, it's an academic book, so not exactly light reading or narratively engaging, but if you're interested in learning about what I see as one of the best/most convincing approaches to understanding how we (humans) perceive/understand/interact with videogames, it gets a wholehearted recommendation from me. The book is Brendan Keogh's A Play of Bodies.

Oh, and Keogh also makes (fun, self-consciously weird) games:

Reactions: BaK

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
There are a lot of problems with my line of work - a cursory look at mental health statistics for grad students should paint a good picture of that - but I can't deny that it also comes with some major privileges. This has been my office for the past few days.
Main challenges of the job atm: have to provide my own sunscreen, the book I'm reading is too damn good (it's author could likely write my dissertation much, much better than what I'll be able to!), and I keep running out of iced coffee.
No matter what you do...you're going to find something in your dissertation you facepalm later at. Such is life, dissertations are learning experiences.

When I did mine and forwarded it to a colleague, they were shocked at something... apparently from when I started to when I graduated everyone agreed to standardize to only a single space after the period of a sentence rather than the old school double space. I didn't catch it, my committee didn't catch it, my university publishings department never caught it. Damn it. 🙄😂

Reactions: Valantar

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Replaced the nozzle and thermistor of my Ender 3 printer, and then did some PID tuning. No more thermal runway! I was able to do two prints today totaling 9 hours without a problem. Before the replacements, it used to overheat with PETG printing just under 2 hours.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
No matter what you do...you're going to find something in your dissertation you facepalm later at. Such is life, dissertations are learning experiences.

When I did mine and forwarded it to a colleague, they were shocked at something... apparently from when I started to when I graduated everyone agreed to standardize to only a single space after the period of a sentence rather than the old school double space. I didn't catch it, my committee didn't catch it, my university publishings department never caught it. Damn it. 🙄😂
Heh, I've heard of that old school standard - apparently a holdover from, I can't remember, either typewriters or fixed-width font typing, or something? Either way, that's a pretty small thing overall though. IMO content-related embarassments are worse than formal/typographic ones, but then I'm really not a stickler for formal rules in any sense.

My hopes are mostly on the level of
- hoping I finish, meaning hoping I can find some type of ordering principle for the massive jumble of ideas, reflections and writings I currently have to turn it into a somewhat cohesive and argumentative whole
- hoping I'll be less embarassed of this in a few years' time than I am of my masters' thesis
- hoping I can figure out WTAF I'm going to do with myself afterwards

Working on the first point is enough for now, and the second can't really be addressed directly. As for the third? We'll see.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Heh, I've heard of that old school standard - apparently a holdover from, I can't remember, either typewriters or fixed-width font typing, or something? Either way, that's a pretty small thing overall though. IMO content-related embarassments are worse than formal/typographic ones, but then I'm really not a stickler for formal rules in any sense.

My hopes are mostly on the level of
- hoping I finish, meaning hoping I can find some type of ordering principle for the massive jumble of ideas, reflections and writings I currently have to turn it into a somewhat cohesive and argumentative whole
- hoping I'll be less embarassed of this in a few years' time than I am of my masters' thesis
- hoping I can figure out WTAF I'm going to do with myself afterwards

Working on the first point is enough for now, and the second can't really be addressed directly. As for the third? We'll see.

The 3rd... is a relatively simple problem. You either get employed doing some/any-thing(s), or you starve on the street. See, simple? 😉

I can be flippant because we've all been there.

When I finished, no one in academia was retiring. Hell, after 3x once-in-a-lifetime economic calamities in 20 years even before the recent inflation problem worldwide, profs still aren't retiring AFAIK. 2 years of job-apps (Maybe 15x professorship openings per-year nationwide) and multiple-underemployment to make ends meet, in a narrow field (music), got nothing. With COVID basically completely shutting down my field in all sectors from teaching to performance--I changed careers. Fundamentally I still do research, but instead of reading and writing about music and music-jobs of people long dead I now read and research about jobs of people living (with no focus on music).

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Recovering from Covid.

I sincerely wish that none of you & your loved ones ever need to experience this.

Seriously, just wear the mask if you need to go to crowded places. Avoid self-service buffet if possible.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Recovering from Covid.

I sincerely wish that none of you & your loved ones ever need to experience this.

Seriously, just wear the mask if you need to go to crowded places. Avoid self-service buffet if possible.
Yea that shit sucks. I was vaccinated and boosted once, and it still sucked. I'm perversely lucky I was laid off and dodged getting it for 2 years. I don't know WTF would have happened if I wasn't vaccinated--and back then didn't have health insurance either b/c layoff.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yea that shit sucks. I was vaccinated and boosted once, and it still sucked. I'm perversely lucky I was laid off and dodged getting it for 2 years. I don't know WTF would have happened if I wasn't vaccinated--and back then didn't have health insurance either b/c layoff.

Me & my family normally wear mask outside, and vaccinated. Never been infected with Covid before.

However, there was a necessary plumbing work done to our bathroom, so it couldn't be used for about a day. We decided to stay in a hotel for a night.

We decided to splurge a bit more & opted in for the breakfast buffet, which was self-service. I suspect that this is the origin of the infection.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Me & my family normally wear mask outside, and vaccinated. Never been infected with Covid before.

However, there was a necessary plumbing work done to our bathroom, so it couldn't be used for about a day. We decided to stay in a hotel for a night.

We decided to splurge a bit more & opted in for the breakfast buffet, which was self-service. I suspect that this is the origin of the infection.
Man, that sucks. I got it in January, fully vaccinated at the time, had it relatively mild thankfully (a few days of a medium fever (39-39.5°C-ish) and feeling like utter crap), but my ex got hit harder, and I know others who have been hit pretty hard as well. Hope you get better quick!

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Well that was fun. So I updated the UEFI on my Asus x570-I, hoping to fix an audio-stuttering issue that was happening in games and Youtube. Flash itself went fine. Rebooted like it was supposed to. On reboot had to F1 to resetup the BIOS. Again like normal. Thing seemed fine.

Then I rebooted to get back into Windows and resume my after-work YouTube habit. Hung on POST screen. No apparent response. Rebooted a couple times by power button. Same.

Opened my NCASE pulled out my AIO to get to the RTC jumper to reset CMOS. Reboot. Again--hang on POST.

I was about to resort to pulling apart my sig rig, as Asus--like complete jagoffs--put the CMOS battery under the VRM heatsink block. SO to proper clear the CMOS old-school would take disassembling the entire damned board.

Then on a whim, before reseorting to a total system tear down...I stripped out all my peripherals one by one....after 4 hours total of life wasted. I apparently have a USB hub that is no good anymore. If I unplug it--everything is normal. If I'm in WIndows and plug it in after boot it appears to function normally. If I cold/warm reboot with it plugged in--it hangs. If I'm booted into UEFI and at idle and then plug it in--the UEFI lags out to single frames per second of mouse cursor movement.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
If I cold/warm reboot with it plugged in--it hangs. If I'm booted into UEFI and at idle and then plug it in--the UEFI lags out to single frames per second of mouse cursor movement.
Thanks for letting us know!
Weird that an USB device can have such side effects!

Reactions: thelaughingman