What did you do today?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Gave away my Dell U2711 monitor - it served me well for a whopping 11 years, but it has been acting erratically lately, and in the end the DP input was only intermittently accepting inputs. Disassembly showed a bunch of bulging caps on the motherboard, and as I don't have the time to try recapping myself I listed it for free for anyone wanting to repair it on FB marketplace, and got a taker who promised to recap it. Good to see it go to a new home, eve if it's sad to see it go. As I'm not working from home any more I'm fine with using only my secondary 24" AOC for the time being - until someone releases a sensibly priced true HDR 27" 2160p144 monitor (miniLED or OLED plz).

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Today, I ordered my first mechanical keyboard kit. Been using mechs for almost 3 decades now. Started with a Mitsumi based board in the late 80's, then moved to a model M on my IBM in the mid 90's. Converted an M0110 (Alps SKCC cream tall) mid 2010's and have to finish restorating my model F XT.

This time, I went with a DIY Reviung34 with an optional laser-cut high density plate foam and Gateron PRO Yellow Milky keyswitches. Still have to decide on the keycaps now (profile and colours) (PCB and foam are black on mine)

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
Was browsing around & found these Jonsbo LP coolers.

(White version)

63mm tall (not sure with or without fan, I can't find any diagram).

Supports Intel LGA 1700/1200/115X, AMD AM4.
found those myself yesterday and spent some time looking around google/youtube from what I could gather the 62mm height is with a fan but I will find out this week or early next week as I have ordered one from caseking.de ( edit ) found specs on aliexpress

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I see your forthcoming Densium APU build is getting closer!
I'm still waiting on the cooler (99.99% will be the AXP120-X67) and looking for a deal on an X570/B550 ITX motherboard locally (AM4 prices still quite high as it is, thanks AM5!)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Went outside and it was mad cold.
We've done with cold in South Coast England, back to less cold but constant rain.
Did go out in it, but not for longer than necessary.
Came home from work early as I was feeling grotty and found all the post held up in last week's postal strike has arrived in one go!

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Over the last few days, I've setup a Minisforum B550 that I bought a year ago. I've paired it with Radeon RX 5600 XT and Corsair SF600 PSU using the included dock. So far, I'm very impressed.

It's going to act as a temporary PC for my girlfriend for a while, as I undertake another long overdue project. To upgrade the Alienware X51 R2 that she uses for gaming at the moment. Yes, a 10-year-old SFF PC!

While the Minisforum PC is likely to be faster, she really loves the Alienware, and we will be keeping it till the day it dies (hopefully not due to my upgrades) as I have a soft spot for it too.

One frustration I've had is with Powercolor. My 5600 XT shipped with VRAM running at 12Gbps and they released a BIOS update shortly after to boost the VRAM to 14Gbps (a reasonable upgrade). I should have downloaded the BIOS when I first saw it, but I didn't, and they removed it from their website. So, last year when I asked Powercolor Support to send it to me they told me it had never been available for my model.

Yesterday I wondered if I could find an old copy of the Powercolor website on the Wayback Machine, and I did! So, I sent them the screenshot showing them the VBIOS update for my card, and received a reply from support this morning now saying:

Confirmed by the FAE department, this BIOS update is only updated within a certain period of time for a specific batch of graphics cards.

Therefore we cannot provide you with BIOS update files.

So, get BIOS updates when you see them, they might not be around forever! Luckily, with some more digging around and Google Translate I've now found a copy of the VBIOS from a Portuguese forum.

I'll be flashing it today and hopefully boosting my performance, and not bricking my GPU!

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Oh Lordy. Went and crossgraded(?) my setup....now my sig rig is a dedicated gaming box (more or less)...and my daily is a Mac Mini (got a recertified M2 Pro Mini with 10gig networking for 20% off sticker, came in new packaging). Still have my faithful NCASE system in another room via optical USB and optical DP, but have a KVM to switch between the Mini and the gaming machine.