What did you do today?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I can also say I've crossgraded a few builds the last few days. I had an extra PC (i5-4670K, RX 460) in the Lazer3D LZ7 that I transplanted into a Jonsbo C6. Quite a lot bigger but it's inside the media cabinet behind doors so it's compact and unique design was lost there anyway.

I rejiggered my CS01 from aircooled (it was watercooled with 120mm AIO) back to watercooled, as the aircooling wasn't sufficient. Since the case is so airflow starved due to lack of an airflow path and not meant for watercooling or a Ryzen 1800X 8-core CPU, I had to attach two slim 120mm fans for push-pull.

Pictures attached, the second fan is on the outside but within the case perimeter.

I'll probably move the server duties it performs 24/7 to my real server (Dell R630) though.

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    478.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 02.png
    02.png
    448 KB · Views: 4
  • 03.png
    03.png
    436 KB · Views: 5

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
After reading up on the new GPD G1 eGPU and watching a few videos, I went ahead and purchased, not the G1, but the GPD Win Max 2 2023.

Given that the only real upgradability is the SSD I decided to go with the 7840U/32GB model. I thought 64GB was a bit overkill for anything I'm likely to use it for.

While I already have a gaming handheld in the form on my AyaNeo Pro 2021, I've found that screen is a little small for my aging eyes, and that I need a keyboard more than I thought I would, even when only using it for gaming. So, the AyaNeo will be getting sold.

They're starting to ship out the first Win Max 2 units to backers today (but not the bundles with the G1 included), and although I'll be at the end of the queue, I'm hoping to get mine before I go on holiday in October.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Changed the front brake discs and pads on my Toyota Opa. Grinding feeling is gone! Yay.

A shame though, as the pads and discs on there had plenty of meat left, albeit grooved and warped.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Oh my. I went and got a Viper Mini Signature Edition.

Sick and tired of expensive mice (from Logitech and Razer too) with mechanical switches developing double-clicking due to intentionally non-adjustable debounce, and it was the one mouse I know of that has optical switches that hopefully are immune from it. Stupidly expensive, but I'm not a soldering guy who likes to do open-heart surgery to fix $100+ mice with bad switches.

Stupidly expensive...but I do love the feel of it. The scroll wheel alone from my g305 and Viper Ultimate is a big difference.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh my. I went and got a Viper Mini Signature Edition.

Sick and tired of expensive mice (from Logitech and Razer too) with mechanical switches developing double-clicking due to intentionally non-adjustable debounce, and it was the one mouse I know of that has optical switches that hopefully are immune from it.
Well actually...
Stupidly expensive, but I'm not a soldering guy who likes to do open-heart surgery to fix $100+ mice with bad switches.
OK never mind :D
I do not have soldering experience above novice level when I did it (I'd call myself still a novice now) but my G403 that I fixed has been working flawlessly for three years.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Japan, Australia and New Zealand eggs are moving into the local supermarkets in recent months, quickly replacing American eggs.

Ever since Japan's plan to dump radioactive waste water into the Pacific ocean, I have to show my anger by boycotting their eggs.
So, it is between Aussie and NZ eggs to get my approval.
They are very close in most aspects. But I finally prefer NZ eggs for 1 reason. Can you guess? Answer at the bottom of the post.

NZ eggs

Aussie eggs

(Ans: Somehow the Australian eggs are more prone to the cracking when they are boiled. This decides my buying preference of the NZ eggs.)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Woo, NZ for the win! Farmer Brown is mid-tier for NZ organic eggs though, suppliers like Durham Farms, Pasture Poultry and Frenz have richer yolks and better welfare for the chooks.

Source: I work in organic retail

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Woo, NZ for the win! Farmer Brown is mid-tier for NZ organic eggs though, suppliers like Durham Farms, Pasture Poultry and Frenz have richer yolks and better welfare for the chooks.

Source: I work in organic retail
Thanks for the info.
Will keep an eye on Durham Farms, Pasture Poultry and Frenz if they show up locally.

Reactions: confusis

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I voided mad warranties, my brothers. I literally cannot help but strip away all of the serial numbers, bar codes, and whack omega-gamer branding as much as I can without losing actual component functionality. This is going in a Velka 3.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I voided mad warranties, my brothers. I literally cannot help but strip away all of the serial numbers, bar codes, and whack omega-gamer branding as much as I can without losing actual component functionality. This is going in a Velka 3.

Meanwhile I'm personally against what you did for warranty reasons, gotta admit that what you've done makes it looks absolutely sexy! Damn that looks good! 😍

What specs is in this photo?

Reactions: rfarmer and Solo

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Meanwhile I'm personally against what you did for warranty reasons, gotta admit that what you've done makes it looks absolutely sexy! Damn that looks good! 😍

There's a 7600, 32GB CL28-5600 memory, and a 2TB 990 Pro. And then of course, the 4060 Solo (lel).

Also, this motherboard is weird as hell. It has a front panel daughterboard/card thing where you can plug things in with oversized adapter cables. I think the worst part is that it includes SATA connectors on it. At this point, considering the board also has 3 M.2 slots and is an ITX board, I'd rather they just do away with those connectors on this form factor.

Last edited:

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017

Just love that the GPU is literally the same size as the motherboard in terms of width :)

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I finally managed to "finish" my endeavour into "how to be able to make use of USB sockets on the mainboard"; my initial solution was to get a 5,25" USB 3 + USB-C + Audio plugs extension, but that didnt fit where I wanted to place it (ie. in the open PSU area of my Meshlicious, because I've relocated the PSU to the other side).

So I returned it and ordered another one by a company called Graugear, ie. a 3.5" with only 2x USB 3 + USB C connectors, but a really well done one. Which didnt fit either, because I'd need a custom lid / outled, and as I neither have the clues nor the access to 3D printing, I ended up with just pluging in the connectors on the MB, cut up two stripes of magnetic tape, stuck it to the underside of the 3.5" extension, and now it routes outside, stuck to the side of the case. And ... it works! Successfully tested my webcam, connected to the 3.5" extensions USB 3 port.

cu, w0lf.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Today I received some VE Monk Earbuds that I ordered weeks ago from AliExpress.

They're really cheap (under $10) and they sound surprisingly good. While they won't be replacing my Hifiman Edition XS headphones, that's not why I bought them.

All my headphones are fairly large open back ones that need the be connected to a desktop amplifier to sound their best. I have a Topping A30/D30 Pro stack on my desk, but it's not a portable solution.

These VE monks are easy to shove into a pocket in my laptop bag and use on the go. I also hate having IEMs jammed into my ear holes, so these earbuds are a lot more comfortable for me. My AirPod Pros (1st Gen) are tolerable, but I'm always aware that they're in my ears, and they've started making a high-pitched squeal if I move/adjust them.

Now I'm tempted to move up in price a bit and see how much better earbuds can get. I may look for a deal on the FiiO FF3 earbuds on Black Friday and see what spending 10x as much gets me. Diminishing returns I suspect! The FF3s do look very premium compared to the Monks, so if they just sound a little better I'd be very happy.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm attempting to compile an operating system on a machine with 8GB RAM and a 4 core CPU... I must be mad. But I'm gradually stamping out compile step errors and gradually getting closer to building all the packages with each hurdle I overcome. Plus, I get to say I added a patch to the Linux kernel if this works out.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I'm attempting to compile an operating system on a machine with 8GB RAM and a 4 core CPU... I must be mad. But I'm gradually stamping out compile step errors and gradually getting closer to building all the packages with each hurdle I overcome. Plus, I get to say I added a patch to the Linux kernel if this works out.
Be warned...when you're done and in a couple months, you'll wonder 'why didn't I just use a pre-compiled distribution?' 😆

(I did that shit 10 years ago for 'fun')

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Be warned...when you're done and in a couple months, you'll wonder 'why didn't I just use a pre-compiled distribution?' 😆

(I did that shit 10 years ago for 'fun')
In my case, it's to add a hardware device quirk for a particular screen I use, since the product's name and vendor are not listed in the source files for it. The DMI match is a very specific use case, so unsure if this would actually be a patch that I'd add to the public version of the build.