What did you do today?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Welp ... today I pulled the trigger on an offer I couldn't refuse ... bought a brand new Ibanez Affirma 4 strings bass for the price of a second hand one. It's the Transparent grey limited edition (of an already limited edition bass).

Should be there in a couple of days 😁

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Just upgraded my 10 years old Motorola Defy+ (3.7") to a Samsung Z Flip3 (6.7")!

The Moto still rocks, battery holds for almost a week! Well I'm using it mostly for calls and texts as the few apps I would have liked to have don't want to install on Android 2! XD

Even if they do get along with my wallpaper, the most annoying thing is the black dots on the screen, result of a mishandling of the phone and a crash on the floor one early morning...

I have yet to be convinced by this last gen phone, not as SFF as the one from late 2011 I fear. From what I see, two hands are needed to operate it while my right thumb was enough before.

At least the Z3 fits easily in my jeans pocket, sort of heavy (183g vs 118g) but it fits. I didn't find any other Androïd phone with decent hardware doing that, all having a screen of 5.5" or more.
Glad to have gotten it second hand at half its price. It is in mint condition, apart from the Samsung stock screen protection that appears to be missing. Dunno how that could be...? o_O Will see what I can do about that.

Will it lasts till 2032?!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Just upgraded my 10 years old Motorola Defy+ (3.7") to a Samsung Z Flip3 (6.7")!

I have yet to be convinced by this last gen phone, not as SFF as the one from late 2011 I fear. From what I see, two hands are needed to operate it while my right thumb was enough before.

At least the Z3 fits easily in my jeans pocket, sort of heavy (183g vs 118g) but it fits. I didn't find any other Androïd phone with decent hardware doing that, all having a screen of 5.5" or more.
Glad to have gotten it second hand at half its price. It is in mint condition, apart from the Samsung stock screen protection that appears to be missing. Dunno how that could be...? o_O Will see what I can do about that.

Will it lasts till 2032?!
I think modern Android OS should have a feature called ''single hand mode'', which might be adequate for you to use the phone with just your right thumb. No harm to try.

2032? Probably. Your 5G Z3 will be, of course, outdated. By that time, it will be 7G or 8G. Wonder what that future tech can bring to the table.

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I think modern Android OS should have a feature called ''single hand mode'', which might be adequate for you to use the phone with just your right thumb. No harm to try.
I will check that feature, thanks for the tip!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Today is Chinese Lunar New Year Day. This begins the Year of the Tiger.
I wonder if I am the only one celebrating. Even if you do not, maybe you can visit your Chinatown or a Chinese restaurant which might have some special good food ready for you.
Anyway, at least, I know @thelaughingman should celebrate the lunar calendar too in Vietnam. Happy Tết to you!

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
I wonder if I am the only one celebrating. Even if you do not, maybe you can visit your Chinatown or a Chinese restaurant which might have some special good food ready for you.
Anyway, at least, I know @thelaughingman should celebrate the lunar calendar too in Vietnam. Happy Tết to you!
Happy New Year from Singapore! I, too, do celebrate it.

May the new year bring in good fortunes, prosperity and abundance for everyone!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I was born in a year of the (fire) tiger (as was my twin sister, obvs), and this year has already started with both of us getting super important roles with the company we both work for.. interesting.

I had Szechuan beef for dinner last night as a bonus for helping with the handover to the new owner :D

This is a water tiger year according to what I've read.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Happy new year everyone! May you all have plenty of good health, some luck and a lot of joy this year. SFF-wise, may your builds ever get smaller (not larger like mine 😅)

New Year's Eve was quite typical, we ate good food, watched the annual satire-comedy show and then waited for the clock to chime. Unfortunately no public fireworks this year due to COVID - the government doesn't want people to amass in tiny spaces. Today to welcome in the new year I got up at about 11:55am, it's 13C in Hanoi right now and the bed is just too comforting! - for context it's a traditional no-no to sleep past noon on the first day of the new year 😂

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Yesterday, I had some of my favourite New Year food (out of all, my number 1 favourite is the turnip cakes, pan fried is the way to go....you have those in Vietnam @thelaughingman and in Singapore @Neathdrawls ?).

Due to Covid, we did not visit some of our relatives even though it is customary to visit senior members of the extended family (eg your uncles and aunts and grandparents...and receive blessings in the form of red packet money if you are not married).

Tiger symbolizes might/strength and courage/bravery and vitality.
I wish everyone good health and courage to face whatever lies ahead of us this year.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
@tinyitx Yeah, we do have turnips cakes too. Either steamed or pan fried! Not my particular favorite, my favourite food for CNY is always Bwa Kwa, thin sliced dried meats (usually pork) that's sweet and savoury, like jerky.

We are allowed up to 5 unique visitors per day for this year for the house visitation, but still mainly a quiet affair for most.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
What did I do today? 18,500 steps inside my workplace. Ow XD

Back to fresh food department managing instead of truck driving. Love the challenge but we're short staffed for now -_-
18,500-steps is not much for active kids who love to run around all day. But for adults, this is a lot. IIRC, an adult having 10,000-12,000 steps is considered very active. You must have sored legs after work. On the other hand, this might pay back when you get old as your leg muscle is well exercised. I suppose, if you walk fast enough, this might be aerobic exercise too?

@tinyitx we have bánh chưng. You can have it as-is the traditional way, or pan fry it also, which is better IMO but saying that might be sacrilegious LOL

We're also not doing any visits to relatives this year due to COVID, phone calls / video calls will have to suffice.
We do not have that here. It looks like sticky rice dumpling for the dragon boat festival around May/June.

@tinyitx Yeah, we do have turnips cakes too. Either steamed or pan fried! Not my particular favorite, my favourite food for CNY is always Bwa Kwa, thin sliced dried meats (usually pork) that's sweet and savoury, like jerky.

We are allowed up to 5 unique visitors per day for this year for the house visitation, but still mainly a quiet affair for most.
Do not know what Bwa Kwa is but I do know jerky...lol This is so common in the Southeast Asia areas (Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore). Beef/Pork jerky is not a common part of the celebration here but I eat these for snack all year around...lol Wnen my nieces and nephews were still kids, I had to fight with them...lol

Reactions: thelaughingman

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
New keeb day. GMMK Pro, Everglide Aqua King 55g (lubed linear), rando Amazon PBT keycaps. Bonus maine coon cat helping install switches once he saw Dad 'playing' with switches

And holy crap...is this thing heavy. Also sounds/feels great.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
New keeb day. GMMK Pro, Everglide Aqua King 55g (lubed linear), rando Amazon PBT keycaps. Bonus maine coon cat helping install switches once he saw Dad 'playing' with switches

Building a really nice keyboard from scratch is on my to do list someday.

I bought myself a Drop Alt with Kailh Speed Silver switches last year, and was surprised just how much nicer it was than the more regular keyboards I've owned in the past: Even mechanical ones.

I'm already thinking about learning to film and lube these switches, or making some Holy Pandas.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
18,500-steps is not much for active kids who love to run around all day. But for adults, this is a lot. IIRC, an adult having 10,000-12,000 steps is considered very active. You must have sored legs after work. On the other hand, this might pay back when you get old as your leg muscle is well exercised. I suppose, if you walk fast enough, this might be aerobic exercise too?
It's fast walking with lots of heavy lifting as well. Also, it doesn't count too well when I'm pushing a trolley/cart so number was likely much higher. I've averaged 15,000 steps on 6 days a week since the start of the year XD

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Building a really nice keyboard from scratch is on my to do list someday.

I bought myself a Drop Alt with Kailh Speed Silver switches last year, and was surprised just how much nicer it was than the more regular keyboards I've owned in the past: Even mechanical ones.

I'm already thinking about learning to film and lube these switches, or making some Holy Pandas.
Do eeeet. Lots of great switch options now, versus while Cherry still had their patent. Even factory pre-lubed switches are getting more common and more consistent. Gateron now has their 'phantom' line for example. Depending on what you're wanting Holy Panda may not be the be-all-end-all. If ZealPC made their silent/dampened Sakurios in 55g I'd probably lube them myself.

Reactions: AlexTSG

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
It's fast walking with lots of heavy lifting as well. Also, it doesn't count too well when I'm pushing a trolley/cart so number was likely much higher. I've averaged 15,000 steps on 6 days a week since the start of the year XD

That is indeed a very high step count if you ask me.

On average, leisure walk (malls hopping) on Saturday usually yields me around 7000-8000 step count.

Edit: on the positive side, you don't skip leg day :)

Reactions: confusis

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

And holy crap...is this thing heavy. Also sounds/feels great.

GMMK Pro owner here, but a silent-tactile gang member, so I'm not really bothered with sound profile (click/clack/thocc whatever).

I also actually prefer plastic (ABS) case since it can be made cheaper & easier to carry around (I buy GMMK Pro more because of the layout. I love 75%).

That said, I agree that it's a pretty nice keyboard for the price.