What did you do today?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Technically, it's SFF for it's time.

SadoMacochist? It is the way.

Right now I'm contemplating how to network it and find a way to get it online. It's doable. I'm also searching for an AOL 2.0 floppy. 😝

Holy. How much does it cost?

Also, the innards look damn clean! Or did you vacuum them before taking picture?

Reactions: Revenant

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Technically, it's SFF for it's time.

SadoMacochist? It is the way.

Right now I'm contemplating how to network it and find a way to get it online. It's doable. I'm also searching for an AOL 2.0 floppy. 😝

HA, well you can find ethernet to parallel adapter blocks...problem is drivers 😄

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Holy. How much does it cost?

Also, the innards look damn clean! Or did you vacuum them before taking picture?
In 1990 I think it was $2,999.00 with the monitor...which is about $5000 today.

That's the way it came. It was basically never used. I even have the original packing foam and boxes.

Reactions: rfarmer

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
HA, well you can find ethernet to parallel adapter blocks...problem is drivers 😄

That’s not parallel on the back of it. It’s SCSI!

I actually ordered a PDS slot 10 base-t Ethernet adapter for it. Believe it or not, these cards include a socket to mount an FPU. The 68020 CPU doesn’t have a FPU built in.

To fill that socket I ordered a new-old stock Motorola 68882 FPU at 50mhz. So the specs will be:

CPU 68020 at 16mhz
FPU 68882 at 50mhz
512kb VRAM
10MB DRAM
40MB SCSI HD.
10 base-t Ethernet.

I have a SCSI Zip Drive somewhere that I will need to install at some point. I’m also going to put System 7 on it. Macs from that era actually had a good chunk of their audio run on software. I didn’t even know what a Soundcard was when my PC friends would mention it. Yep

I’m going to install Bungies Marathon, Chuck Yeagers Air Combat, Sim City, Vette, and a bunch of black and white games. For productivity I plan to put Claris Works on it.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
SCSI, I remember that, (nightmare fussy), connection!

I had a SCSI 120MB magneto optical drive with my last Mac, that was Power PC gen 1.

Marathon? Many happy memories of playing it on my Mac, came on 5 3.5" floppies.

Enjoy, and have fun 😎

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
That’s not parallel on the back of it. It’s SCSI!

I actually ordered a PDS slot 10 base-t Ethernet adapter for it. Believe it or not, these cards include a socket to mount an FPU. The 68020 CPU doesn’t have a FPU built in.

To fill that socket I ordered a new-old stock Motorola 68882 FPU at 50mhz. So the specs will be:

CPU 68020 at 16mhz
FPU 68882 at 50mhz
512kb VRAM
10MB DRAM
40MB SCSI HD.
10 base-t Ethernet.

I have a SCSI Zip Drive somewhere that I will need to install at some point. I’m also going to put System 7 on it. Macs from that era actually had a good chunk of their audio run on software. I didn’t even know what a Soundcard was when my PC friends would mention it. Yep

I’m going to install Bungies Marathon, Chuck Yeagers Air Combat, Sim City, Vette, and a bunch of black and white games. For productivity I plan to put Claris Works on it.

You can also put Photoshop v1 on it.

Just beware back in the v1 Photoshop days...there was only 1 undo state.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
For productivity I plan to put Claris Works on it.

Productivity? Suuuree 😄

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I watched a lot of Olympic games today (and in recent days too).
I honestly haven’t caught a single event, and I generally enjoy them. I’m not sure why but I’m just not motivated to watch.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Tried and failed to install NixOS on an USB drive to power my NAS. Ended up installing it to the internal drive of my test computer for researching Linux and Windows setups (oops).

Tomorrow, I get ready for the rest of the week so I doubt I'll have more time to work on it (again). Working everyday at the office this as people are being ordered back to the office.

Reactions: Phuncz

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Tried and failed to install NixOS on an USB drive to power my NAS. Ended up installing it to the internal drive of my test computer for researching Linux and Windows setups (oops).

Tomorrow, I get ready for the rest of the week so I doubt I'll have more time to work on it (again). Working everyday at the office this as people are being ordered back to the office.

I tried to DIY my own NAS with Amahi. It was not a success. That was a long time ago though.

I can’t believe anyone is ordered back to the office with the Delta variant going around. We’ll be lucky to avoid a shutdown again. My local hospitals are full with Covid patients and are about to suspend non-emergency surgeries.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I tried to DIY my own NAS with Amahi. It was not a success. That was a long time ago though.

I can’t believe anyone is ordered back to the office with the Delta variant going around. We’ll be lucky to avoid a shutdown again. My local hospitals are full with Covid patients and are about to suspend non-emergency surgeries.
I've been extremely happy with TrueNAS, it's definitely worth looking into. Even on unsupported hardware (Ryzen 1600X, X370GTN, 32GB ECC UDIMM) it's been near flawless once I got it set up and worked out some PEBKAC issues.

Ordering people back into the office sounds irresponsible to me too, though hopefully it has some positive effects for those with small social circles or who have been struggling with staying home for this long. Still, I'm glad I'm ten days away from my second dose of Pfizer/Biontech.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I've been extremely happy with TrueNAS, it's definitely worth looking into. Even on unsupported hardware (Ryzen 1600X, X370GTN, 32GB ECC UDIMM) it's been near flawless once I got it set up and worked out some PEBKAC issues.

Ordering people back into the office sounds irresponsible to me too, though hopefully it has some positive effects for those with small social circles or who have been struggling with staying home for this long. Still, I'm glad I'm ten days away from my second dose of Pfizer/Biontech.

I wouldn't just say irresponsible....it is also blatantly tone-deaf, compared to what employees are wanting. After all, people are quitting their jobs to find work-from-home ones, where possible. Employees want the not only the flexibility to work from home, they also want treated like adults and not babysat. People can be just as unproductive at the office as under the thumb of a manager in person. The reversion back to FT at the office...has been called a 'boomer power play', and given the people calling for it--that characterization isn't wrong.

I don't know what the utility bill is for my building....but I know my employer could save a massive pile of money just on utilities nevermind profiting from leasing out the spare office space if they went back to WFH or partial WFH.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I wouldn't just say irresponsible....it is also blatantly tone-deaf, compared to what employees are wanting. After all, people are quitting their jobs to find work-from-home ones, where possible. Employees want the not only the flexibility to work from home, they also want treated like adults and not babysat. People can be just as unproductive at the office as under the thumb of a manager in person. The reversion back to FT at the office...has been called a 'boomer power play', and given the people calling for it--that characterization isn't wrong.

I don't know what the utility bill is for my building....but I know my employer could save a massive pile of money just on utilities nevermind profiting from leasing out the spare office space if they went back to WFH or partial WFH.
I understand that perspective, though from my perspective that speaks more to just how utterly broken workplace culture and management culture in the US is than anything else. A workplace is, after all, supposed to be a place where people come together to do useful things, with a heap of positive side effects (like socializing, potentially making friends, coming up with new ideas and solutions through venting about work to others there, etc.). But overeager, power-mad management with the power to fire people (nearly) at will, legal workplace surveillance and tracking on multiple levels, non-unionized workforces, precarious work, mandatory and/or unpaid overtime, high degrees of turnover, massive pressure to perform in order to earn raises or promotions, etc. - all of that can utterly destroy any positive aspect of in-place work pretty quickly. But to me, that's the problem, not in-place work requirements themselves. So I can support this kind of thinking as a short-term measure, but unless the systemic issues are addressed, it's a band-aid on an abdominal stab wound. Just think of all the pressures transferred from the employer to the employee by this: space needs for a home office; home office furniture; stable and fast home networking, etc., etc. And that's just the monetary/physical stuff - there's also the increased erasure of any semblance of separation of work from free time, which encourages a further culture of working 24/7. Of course with current US (absence of) regulations on overtime and the like this is the case for many people working from an office as well - but again, that's a systemic issue, not an in-place work issue.

Looking at this from the perspective of a country with strict laws and regulations on work hours, overtime, and everything else related to this, not to mention a very high degree of unionization, it's difficult to agree with the core issues at hand here. IMO, as long as you like your job, having a place to go to to do that job is a great thing. But that does of course presuppose that place being safe, constructive, flexible, employee-friendly, and management not being predatory.

Of course Covid does throw a massive wrench into all of this. But I don't think I've heard a single one of my colleagues or friends in other lines of work (who weren't already working from home) say they'd like to continue doing so.

(As an aside, there's also a significant undercommunicated class issue in all of this: the ones wanting to work from home are obviously ones in jobs where doing so is at all possible, i.e. not low-paying service jobs, and also ones with sufficient income to ensure a comfortable workplace at home. This has the potential to further entrench socioeconomic divisions that are already huge and endemic in many Western cultures, which IMO would be a very, very bad thing. Creating a quasi-leasure class of those rich/privileged enough to WFH would underscore things like who in your neighbourhood has to leave home for work every day (or in which neighbourhoods/parts of town people mostly do so), making economic disparity more overtly visible and possibly further entrenching the working poor as a servant class to the relatively wealthy upper middle class.)

Edit: More on topic, today (last day of summer holidays) I built two big wooden frames with metal netting inside, so that we can open up the windows on our glassed-in balcony (it gets crazy hot when it's sunny) without risking a cat-related fall accident. The number of cats hurt or killed each year from falling from windows and balconies is pretty shocking, so this is definitely nice to have.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

I tried Amahi in the past too. It wants to be everything on the network: gateway, firewall, NAS, media server, etc. Couldn't go with it.

Neither could I. Well not so soon. My team and I were supposed to have two months to prepare for a return in September. Pretty sure the government allowing reopening sooner caused whomever made the decision to move up the deadline.

Good to know that TrueNAS may be an option if I ever have such requirements.

It might? Some that I've talked to do need it due to lack of space or being unable to be as productive as they are at the office and some supervisors have told me that others need to be back as they need to be babysat. Most others that I've talked to are not looking forward to the early morning routine, commute, gas prices or full buses (me too), open office and crowds, and just the stress of it all.

There were supposed to be surveys sent out to gauge what were people's thoughts on returning and to figure out what was needed for them to return. Those that I've talked to never received one.

I'm fully vaccinated with Moderna.

It is very much tone-deaf. My team and I were supposed to have two months to prepare for a return in September.

This would see the office at 50% capacity in the return.

That time frame wasn't even respected so we had to crunch for the past dozen days. You're not wrong on the age or mental demographic that ultimately made this decision. We would have saved massively if the HVAC, network infrastructure, and server infrastructure were better. Talked to someone on the union for the company and they weren't too pleased about it even though they understand why. Government allows reopening == Company fully reopens office.

To follow up on your latest response @Valantar , this is in Canada and not much different in how things happens socioeconomically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valantar