What did you do today?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
On this hot early summer afternoon, I treated myself one of these. Some people call it 'snow strip' or 'popsicle'. I call it 'ice cream lollipop'. Its officical name according to Haagen-Dazs is 'stickybar'.

Wait, it comes in a box? Never seen that before. Sounds rather complicated, though I guess it might be more recyclable than the metalized plastic foil I'm used to (not that plastic-cardboard cartons tend to be very recyclable either). To me a popsicle is strictly those fruity "frozen juice" style things, though I'm not a native English speaker. Guess I'd call it an ice cream bar?

Looks delicious though! I had a strawberry and elderflower sorbet yesterday. Fantastic stuff in the heat.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Wait, it comes in a box? Never seen that before. Sounds rather complicated, though I guess it might be more recyclable than the metalized plastic foil I'm used to (not that plastic-cardboard cartons tend to be very recyclable either).
Guess what, a plastic foil is still there and comes between this (recyclable) paper box and the stickbar!

This 'unnecessary' complication is very likely a marketing move as Haagen-Dazs has been positioning itself in a higher end ice cream market. So, this box is meant to make the product look 'exclusive' and 'unique', thus selling a higher price.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Guess what, a plastic foil is still there and comes between this (recyclable) paper box and the stickbar!

This 'unnecessary' complication is very likely a marketing move as Haagen-Dazs has been positioning itself in a higher end ice cream market. So, this box is meant to make the product look 'exclusive' and 'unique', thus selling a higher price.
Yeah, that makes sense. "Hey, this is premium ice cream, look, we even put it in a nice box. Plastic? Bah. (Well, it's there, but we're hiding it!)" It's rather impressive how much of a difference packaging makes though - I'm definitely more willing to pay a premium for a nicely packaged product, to a certain extent at least. But I don't quite think that applies to ice cream :p

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Isn't cantaloupe = melon?
I aint no expert on fruits or English but I think 'melon' refers to a whole broad family of fruits (eg honeydew, watermelon, cantaloupe...etc) while cantaloupe obviously refers to a specific fruit. So, perhaps it is redundant to say 'cantaloupe melon'.
I suppose just 'cantaloupe' is enough but maybe the name 'cantaloupe' is not common in some countries/regions and so Haagen-Dazs adds 'melon' to make it more clear? Purely my guess.
(The package says it is made in France and imported into Taiwan and I enjoy it in Hong Kong)

On a totally different topic, it looks like Noctua is imminently releasing the fanless NH-P1. I read that it was up for order (US$100) in Newegg a few days ago but it is taken down now. Maybe Newegg jumped the gun a little too soon?
Anyway, this monstrosity weighs 1.5kg (vs my current NH-C14S at 1.02kg with a NF-A14 fan...and Thermalright Ultra 120 True Copper at 1.9kg). If reviews confirm it can cool my slightly overclocked 9900K, I might just grab one for myself as a Christmas gift. It will not be for performance but just for the sake of trying a fanless air cooler as I have never used one before. This could also further simplify my rig for having one fewer fan. Noise-wise, the NF-A14 is silent and I hear nothing from it. So, this is just to have one fewer component. (I know this is a lame excuse...lol.) Guys, any say?

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I aint no expert on fruits or English but I think 'melon' refers to a whole broad family of fruits (eg honeydew, watermelon, cantaloupe...etc) while cantaloupe obviously refers to a specific fruit. So, perhaps it is redundant to say 'cantaloupe melon'.
I suppose just 'cantaloupe' is enough but maybe the name 'cantaloupe' is not common in some countries/regions and so Haagen-Dazs adds 'melon' to make it more clear? Purely my guess.
(The package says it is made in France and imported into Taiwan and I enjoy it in Hong Kong)

On a totally different topic, it looks like Noctua is imminently releasing the fanless NH-P1. I read that it was up for order (US$100) in Newegg a few days ago but it is taken down now. Maybe Newegg jumped the gun a little too soon?
Anyway, this monstrosity weighs 1.5kg (vs my current NH-C14S at 1.02kg with a NF-A14 fan...and Thermalright Ultra 120 True Copper at 1.9kg). If reviews confirm it can cool my slightly overclocked 9900K, I might just grab one for myself as a Christmas gift. It will not be for performance but just for the sake of trying a fanless air cooler as I have never used one before. This could also further simplify my rig for having one fewer fan. Noise-wise, the NF-A14 is silent and I hear nothing from it. So, this is just to have one fewer component. (I know this is a lame excuse...lol.) Guys, any say?
I sincerely doubt it can handle an OC'ed 9900K. Depends on the airflow in your case of course, but that's not the type of load that lends itself well to passive cooling.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I sincerely doubt it can handle an OC'ed 9900K. Depends on the airflow in your case of course, but that's not the type of load that lends itself well to passive cooling.
I am somewhat optimistic as the prototype of this cooler was demonstrated to handle a mildly overclocked 9900K inside a fanless chassis. And, I expect Noctua to fine tune it further since 2019 Computex and now the final retail version should be better (slightly or much?).
But I most definitely will wait for reviews.

Watch it at 3:15

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I am somewhat optimistic as the prototype of this cooler was demonstrated to handle a mildly overclocked 9900K inside a fanless chassis. And, I expect Noctua to fine tune it further since 2019 Computex and now the final retail version should be better (slightly or much?).
But I most definitely will wait for reviews.

Watch it at 3:15
Impressive, though I'm curious about what that "mild overclock" at 120W is, considering that AnandTech tested the 9900K at stock at 170W peak draw (PL2). So either that "OC" actually limits peak power draw compared to stock (lower/disabled PL2?) and solely means it sustains more than base clock indefinitely (which is out-of-the-box behaviour for pretty much all Intel boards the past generations, despite it not being stock), or it isn't actually an OC at all. Still, 120W passively is not bad at all.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Impressive, though I'm curious about what that "mild overclock" at 120W is, considering that AnandTech tested the 9900K at stock at 170W peak draw (PL2). So either that "OC" actually limits peak power draw compared to stock (lower/disabled PL2?) and solely means it sustains more than base clock indefinitely (which is out-of-the-box behaviour for pretty much all Intel boards the past generations, despite it not being stock), or it isn't actually an OC at all. Still, 120W passively is not bad at all.
Not sure. I do not remember any OC details being mentioned in the video except I think the guy said the base clock is raised from default 3.6 to 3.8. Perhaps other than this, everything is still at default?

For the prototype, Noctua claimed 120W capability for 100% fanless inside a case and 180W if the case has some ventilation or a fan is attached to the cooler. I am not interested in attaching a fan to this cooler as this will be no different from my current setup of NH-C14S with fan. I will only be interested in a fanless cooler.

Anyway, as I am using an open frame and the room is covered by a fortune fan (providing room wise air movement ), I expect this environment will probably give me somewhere between 120W and 180W.

Reactions: Valantar

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Got my 3D printed soundbar riser

3D design generously provided by a fellow forum staff

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
been on an ebay bidding tear the past week, incl. today. given how I flipped my 5700XT and will be able to flip the 2080Ti for profits, I can justify going for 3090FE upto 2300 USD or 6900XT upto 1750 USD - approx. 800 USD over MSRP 🤣 🤣 🤣 wish me luck boys and girls!

• Haha
Reactions: tinyitx and rfarmer

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Mounted a salvaged wallmount 19" 4U rack in my carport area and re-did some of my solar wiring. No mains power out there, and we rent so we can't just run power out there, and it's my "workshop". Will be running a wifi bridge and a low power server out there for funsies. For those interested, I'm running 400W of panels into ~400Ah of lead acid, with a pair of 300W pure sine wave inverters coming out for those mains powered things. My rainwater pump, carport lighting and some other stuff run straight off the batteries. My eventual plan, once my children leave home in about a decade, is to go off grid somewhere rural (but close enough to city to keep working). Tiny home, well+rain water, etc. One day. Maybe. With the average house or townhouse selling for >NZ$1million in this city (and close to that in the other big cities in this country), it's my only real route to ownership.

The past week:
Passed an electrical safety course and am now competent to test and certify low voltage (<1000V AC/DC) appliances and peripherals for safety
Passed a forklift refresher/retrainer and can now drive some pretty big counterbalance forklifts
Finished another 50+ hour week at my very physical job :/ (two months straight of 45+ hour weeks, 14k steps per day, tonnes moved by hand, many, many hours driving a 6 tonne box truck)
Continued fighting alcoholism, down to 6-7 beers a day, down from >12 a few months back.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I was a 12 beer a day drinker for many, many years. Quitting was one of the hardest things I ever did but now 8 1/2 years sober I can say it is the smartest thing I ever did. Keep up the good fight.
Quitting a pack a day smoking was easier than this. Thanks for the support :)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Passed a forklift refresher/retrainer and can now drive some pretty big counterbalance forklifts
Finished another 50+ hour week at my very physical job :/ (two months straight of 45+ hour weeks, 14k steps per day, tonnes moved by hand, many, many hours driving a 6 tonne box truck)
Bought these NZ produce yesterday. I wonder if they might have been moved by your forklift?
Continued fighting alcoholism, down to 6-7 beers a day, down from >12 a few months back.
Hope you will shake it off soon.

Reactions: confusis

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The past week:
Passed an electrical safety course and am now competent to test and certify low voltage (<1000V AC/DC) appliances and peripherals for safety
That's a pretty impressive list, especially the last part. That's a major change! Well done. Perhaps especially in light of the point above, but impressive regardless. Good work. Keep it up! Pretty safe to say all of us here are rooting for you :)