What did you do today?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
72f...I have central AC. 90f with 100% humidity outside. South Florida living....

Reactions: Phuncz

Tonkatsu

Average Stuffer
Jul 18, 2020
I've been wanting manufacturers to add backlit ports to motherboards and laptops as a feature for ages. I'm really surprised it hasn't been done yet.

Even a temporary light activated by proximity, or a push button like the UID LED on a server would be great.
Indeed !

You know what else I've been wondering since I've had my ports back-lit ?

How to light the LEDs individually in the right spots is one, yes, but then I thought;

"And what about syncing the colors to CPU & GPU temperatures ?" (separately of course)

Instead of a 'RGB my little pony LSD trip' scheme, we'd have only the useful locations like the usb ports, audio jacks, power button, and why not a couple fan blades for rotation confirmation if needed, all lit up with a color that matches the current Temp°C of the components we choose to monitor that way.

Thought of it after looking for a monitoring solution that's neither a software overlay, nor a front panel LCD.

That would be quite cheap, a couple if not a single $10 aRGB LED strip placed in the right locations.

A more evolved version would be the same but adding your idea of proximity sensors, we could check the components temperatures while just hovering hands/fingers over the parts of the case they're located.
Or have a callable LED levels multimeter in front of the case like on the audio recorders of yore.

'All' that's required is the software...of course.

Reactions: AlexTSG

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Indeed !

You know what else I've been wondering since I've had my ports back-lit ?

How to light the LEDs individually in the right spots is one, yes, but then I thought;

"And what about syncing the colors to CPU & GPU temperatures ?" (separately of course)

Instead of a 'RGB my little pony LSD trip' scheme, we'd have only the useful locations like the usb ports, audio jacks, power button, and why not a couple fan blades for rotation confirmation if needed, all lit up with a color that matches the current Temp°C of the components we choose to monitor that way.

Thought of it after looking for a monitoring solution that's neither a software overlay, nor a front panel LCD.

That would be quite cheap, a couple if not a single $10 aRGB LED strip placed in the right locations.

A more evolved version would be the same but adding your idea of proximity sensors, we could check the components temperatures while just hovering hands/fingers over the parts of the case they're located.
Or have a callable LED levels multimeter in front of the case like on the audio recorders of yore.

'All' that's required is the software...of course.
I'm pretty sure there's RGB software out there that lets you control the lights based on various temperatures. No idea how detailed though.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
This morning I took a hard and thorough look at my monitor (Dell U3011). Everything still works. All the buttons function as new and nothing is falling off. I took care of it well and it does not even have a scratch anywhere. The screen, being the most important part, still gives a good picture. At least not my eyes can tell.

I bought it in late 2011. That is almost 10 bloody years ago! Durability is a good thing. Nowadays 30'' is really an odd size. 27'' is much more common. Or, it just bypasses and jumps from 27'' up to 34''. Dell last offered a 30'' in 2017. Needless to say, 2560x1600 has been replaced by 2560x1440 (even though I still prefer 16:10 over 16:9).

My 3011 is showing its age in minor areas. 25mm bezel was thin back then but now it is just huge. And, it still has VGA and Component inputs! How often do you see these inputs these days! Once in a while I just wish it dies naturally so that I can have the perfect rational reason to buy a new one. But it still keeps going and going and going like the Energizer bunny! I just do not think I can ditch this faithful servant without a real good reason. More importantly, it will be impossible to convince the financial minister (aka my wife) to release the necessary budget.

Dell makes durable monitors, I think. My buddy is still using his U2407 without problem. Sometimes I wonder how companies like Dell makes money, as their monitors are so durable. Perhaps, they count on people to buy a new monitor not because the old one is broken but because of some other reasons (eg impulsive spending).

/reflection of my monitor

Reactions: Phuncz

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
This morning I took a hard and thorough look at my monitor (Dell U3011). Everything still works. All the buttons function as new and nothing is falling off. I took care of it well and it does not even have a scratch anywhere. The screen, being the most important part, still gives a good picture. At least not my eyes can tell.

I bought it in late 2011. That is almost 10 bloody years ago! Durability is a good thing. Nowadays 30'' is really an odd size. 27'' is much more common. Or, it just bypasses and jumps from 27'' up to 34''. Dell last offered a 30'' in 2017. Needless to say, 2560x1600 has been replaced by 2560x1440 (even though I still prefer 16:10 over 16:9).

My 3011 is showing its age in minor areas. 25mm bezel was thin back then but now it is just huge. And, it still has VGA and Component inputs! How often do you see these inputs these days! Once in a while I just wish it dies naturally so that I can have the perfect rational reason to buy a new one. But it still keeps going and going and going like the Energizer bunny! I just do not think I can ditch this faithful servant without a real good reason. More importantly, it will be impossible to convince the financial minister (aka my wife) to release the necessary budget.

Dell makes durable monitors, I think. My buddy is still using his U2407 without problem. Sometimes I wonder how companies like Dell makes money, as their monitors are so durable. Perhaps, they count on people to buy a new monitor not because the old one is broken but because of some other reasons (eg impulsive spending).

Food for thought...if it still works great, you can flip it for some money to fund a newer monitor. I did that with my BenQ that was basically a 3011 but a with some newer tech. Half funded getting a new LG high-refresh ultrawide. The problem with running things into the ground because they work...when they no longer work--no one wants them and they go to the dead electronics fairy, and a replacement you pay full money for.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

That's a pretty identical experience to my U2711, also bought in 2011. While I am actively looking for a replacement - my main use is gaming, and I want to move beyond 60fps and slow response times - I haven't been willing to compromise in any way on a replacement, leading me to keep this monitor for quite a while. And it's really good still. No doubt the color accuracy it once had has long drifted away, and its famously grainy anti-reflective coating is wearing on me, but it's still a great monitor.

You're a bit off about monitor sizes though - 32" is the next standard 16:9 step from 27", 34" is ultrawide 21:9 (and essentially just a wider 27", as it's the same height). There's a decent selection of 32" monitors, and that's where I'm headed next, once someone releases a not exorbitantly priced 4k120/144 monitor with HDMI 2.1 - seeing how I might keep it around for another decade, I'm picky :p

I mostly agree on taller aspect ratios being better, but IMO it matters less at larger monitor sizes - the difference in usable screen real estate between 27"/1440p and 30"/1600p is not that much. On a 13-16" laptop on the other hand, those extra pixels and centimeters of vertical space can make a world of difference.

Reactions: Tonkatsu

Tonkatsu

Average Stuffer
Jul 18, 2020
I'm pretty sure there's RGB software out there that lets you control the lights based on various temperatures. No idea how detailed though.
Seems mostly proprietary so whether they'll work with my asrock mobo +generic argb remains to be seen, gotta try each. Interweb's feedback on the effectiveness of the proprietary syncing-to-temps° options is meh.
Anyway I'll try those but I'm also looking into generic freeeware, and it's not like there's tons of obvious solutions waving at me either, contrary to popular belief, nearly-ideal freeware alternatives aren't always readily available for anything wainting for you around a simple google search. :\

There's a decent selection of 32" monitors, and that's where I'm headed next, once someone releases a not exorbitantly priced 4k120/144 monitor with HDMI 2.1 - seeing how I might keep it around for another decade, I'm picky :p
Personally I have no interest in 4K gaming since even the top mainstream hardware can't fully manage that many pixels without cheating and compromising on quality. And I can't afford a warhorse either so nope.
I'd be happy with a WQHD ('2K' lol) 144Hz if those weren't already in the 1000 bucks ballpark (800~1200) for decent results.
Being picky about every aspect doesn't help me choose; viewing angles, detailed response performance at every Hz, detailed delay at every video mode and on physical input, scaling quality and ratio options, brightness, clear coating, VESA mounting options, VRR compatibility and range(s), actual controls, etc etc etc.
I'm very picky when it comes to displays.
Problem; every time a new model that could be 'it' gets my attention, I end up let down by some major flaw revealed in the specs or reviews, or several minor, which explains that I've been holding onto my basic sub-200 bucks ViewSonic 32" Full-HD IPS for many years, since in several aspects at its level it is actually very flexible for what it is (even does custom VRR under conditions), doesn't have any of the weaknesses some of the most praised high-end 'gaming' monitors almost inevitably feature.
So yeah manufacturers make it very hard for me to want to spend 1000 on a new monitor, yet I've been wanting that 2K/144Hz for years. I don't mind still being at 1080 too much considering I have a medium-performance PC, but heh, who doesn't want better? ;)

For a side monitor I still use a 4:3 Belinea/Maxdata 2080 S2 1600x1200 MVA from 2007 (iirc), and although the colors are wrong af and the response times really slow, it still comes as useful for reading vertically, whether in landscape or portrait.
Actually use it for retro games emulation since that real estate is favourable scaling-wise, and the easy rotation of a 4:3 21" is perfect on a desk for playing those old vertical arcade games like space shooters.
I miss 4:3.

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Personally I have no interest in 4K gaming since even the top mainstream hardware can't fully manage that many pixels without cheating and compromising on quality. And I can't afford a warhorse either so nope.
I'd be happy with a WQHD ('2K' lol) 144Hz if those weren't already in the 1000 bucks ballpark (800~1200) for decent results.
Being picky about every aspect doesn't help me choose; viewing angles, detailed response performance at every Hz, detailed delay at every video mode and on physical input, scaling quality and ratio options, brightness, clear coating, VESA mounting options, VRR compatibility and range(s), actual controls, etc etc etc.
I'm very picky when it comes to displays.
Problem; every time a new model that could be 'it' gets my attention, I end up let down by some major flaw revealed in the specs or reviews, or several minor, which explains that I've been holding onto my basic sub-200 bucks ViewSonic 32" Full-HD IPS for many years, since in several aspects at its level it is actually very flexible for what it is (even does custom VRR under conditions), doesn't have any of the weaknesses some of the most praised high-end 'gaming' monitors almost inevitably feature.
So yeah manufacturers make it very hard for me to want to spend 1000 on a new monitor, yet I've been wanting that 2K/144Hz for years. I don't mind still being at 1080 too much considering I have a medium-performance PC, but heh, who doesn't want better? ;)

For a side monitor I still use a 4:3 Belinea/Maxdata 2080 S2 1600x1200 MVA from 2007 (iirc), and although the colors are wrong af and the response times really slow, it still comes as useful for reading vertically, whether in landscape or portrait.
Actually use it for retro games emulation since that real estate is favourable scaling-wise, and the easy rotation of a 4:3 21" is perfect on a desk for playing those old vertical arcade games like space shooters.
I miss 4:3.
I'm not looking for 4k gaming myself either, but I want a 4k monitor. Why? Well, 1440p ages poorly alongside a GPU, and I keep my GPUs for a long time. 1080p on a 1440p monitor looks like garbage, as does 1600x900, and the next integer step down is 720p, which is far too low - also looking like garbage, just in a different way. 4k a) looks better at 1440p than 1440p does at 1080p due to the sheer amount of pixels, and b) allows for 4:1 scaling to 1080p without everything turning to mush. All the while I'll enjoy the extra screen real estate and resolution for work. Also, given just how few 4k monitors have HDMI 2.1, I'm not betting on many 1440p monitors having it in the next few years, which makes them a poor fit for the consoles I'll eventually get at least one of. But the flexibility of 4k is what's got me settled on it, even if the relative cheapness of pretty good 1440p 144/165Hz monitors is tempting.

As for being very picky, count me in. I'm not that picky about image quality (still using an U2711 after all, which is a blurry, smeary, slow and 60Hz-at-the-most monitor (even 61-62Hz with a custom resolution is a no-go-let alone anything higher). So while I want something improved, pretty much anything will be at this point. I just don't want ghosting or other artifacting with rapid movement - that gets annoying quickly. But beyond that, I have a pretty long list (wrtitten down, as remembering it all is a nightmare) of wants and needs: I need a 100x100 VESA mount, 32" 4k UHD, 120Hz or more, good IPS or VA (IPS with good contrast, i.e. closer to 2000:1 than 1000:1), a wide color gamut (current monitor is close to 100% ARGB, not stepping down from that, ideally >95% p3) with dE<2 calibration from the factory, 10-bit color, FreeSync support, HDMI 2.1... I think that's it for the must-haves. Then there are the wants: integrated PSU (bricks are hell, so very close to a must-have), USB hub, USB-C display input with 60W PD, DisplayHDR 600 or higher (and it being actually good, unlike most monitor HDR implementations), FALD, KVM functionality, as little lighting/RGB as possible (or an option to turn it off), PiP/PbP functionality, quick input switching and a good OSD, and the list goes on and on and on and on. There's a reason I've stuck to the U2711 as long as I have, even if it's far from ideal - finding something that is better in every regard and ticks the boxes for must-haves for the next 5-10 years has so far not been possible.

I would love for 3:2 monitors (or even 16:10) or 4:3 to become a thing, but at the sizes I use the extra height isn't much of a benefit - I barely use the full height of my 27" 16:9 monitor, and will likely rarely use the top few cm of a 32" one. I would love a 20-24" 3:2 side monitor though.

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Very Dell-icate conversation going on here.
I had my 2709W for such a long time, because of its 1920x1200 resolution. Since the format wasn't going into the right direction I had to go higher resolution.
Simple solution: Go for 32" with a 1440p resolution. It's about the same pixel size (a bit smaller, so you can stay at 100% in windows) and you get a lot more space.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
High five, been using Dell U2415 (16:10, 1920 x 1200) for about 7 years. Still going strong so no reason to change.

I'm using a Dell U2415 right now, although it's actually already been replaced. I just need to clear my desk and tidy up before I can unpack my new monitor, which is another Dell in disguise (AW3821DW). Looking over at the box right now, I may have overestimated how big my desk actually is...

There's nothing wrong with the U2415 at all, and in a week or two I'll have it setup for my mum. It's probably one of the best monitor purchases I've made, and the reason why I'm sticking with the Dell family.

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'm using a Dell U2415 right now, although it's actually already been replaced. I just need to clear my desk and tidy up before I can unpack my new monitor, which is another Dell in disguise (AW3821DW). Looking over at the box right now, I may have overestimated how big my desk actually is...

There's nothing wrong with the U2415 at all, and in a week or two I'll have it setup for my mum. It's probably one of the best monitor purchases I've made, and the reason why I'm sticking with the Dell family.

If I were to upgrade my U2415, I'd like to try a small ultrawide, like this 25 inch LG 25UM58.

Too bad it's already discontinued & that many current ultrawide monitors start at 29 inch.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
If I were to upgrade my U2415, I'd like to try a small ultrawide, like this 25 inch LG 25UM58.

Too bad it's already discontinued & that many current ultrawide monitors start at 29 inch.

We have that 25 inch LG ultrawide at work for monitoring various systems, and while it works well for that purpose, I'd hate it as my personal monitor.

The vertical height is much less than you get on the U2415, and it feels like you're working on two 15.6 inch laptop screens side-by-side.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020

29inch ultrawide is very vertically short. I have a 34 UWD, and it is about as small as I would go at 21:9.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Moving away from monitors, I had 4 more Amazon boxes full of components arrive at work yesterday and have brought them home.

I now have parts for 2 full systems builds, and a fairly major upgrade for another. While they're all SFF (Cooler Master NR200, NCASE M1, and Alienware X51), the parts still take up considerably more space than I have in my 2 bedroom apartment, and some boxes have now started migrating from my study to other rooms...

I think I'm going to have a very unhappy girlfriend if I don't start actually building the PCs this weekend!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
One problem with 4K resolution that I cannot handle is that the text is so bloody small that you have to increase the font size a lot. But when the scaling is up, the bigger working space of a larger size screen is then compromised. So, you end up not having that much more real estate to work with.

One thing of my U3011 that is annoying is that it emits a lot of heat, relatively speaking.
Power draw is about 144 Watts (at max brightness) and 73 Watts (at min brightness) I probably have around 85W as I have turned down the brightness a lot. For comparison, a 2021 27'' 2560x1440 monitor probably draws about 20-25W at min brightness. So, that is a 'feel-able' difference, especially during summer time when I sit in front of the monitor (without turning on the air conditioner).

On a side note, I acquired some time ago this Xiaomi monitor light (https://www.mi.com/global/mi-computer-monitor-light-bar/overview) but my U3011 is too thick to receive the light bar.😆

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
One problem with 4K resolution that I cannot handle is that the text is so bloody small that you have to increase the font size a lot. But when the scaling is up, the bigger working space of a larger size screen is then compromised. So, you end up not having that much more real estate to work with.

One thing of my U3011 that is annoying is that it emits a lot of heat, relatively speaking.
Power draw is about 144 Watts (at max brightness) and 73 Watts (at min brightness) I probably have around 85W as I have turned down the brightness a lot. For comparison, a 2021 27'' 2560x1440 monitor probably draws about 20-25W at min brightness. So, that is a 'feel-able' difference, especially during summer time when I sit in front of the monitor (without turning on the air conditioner).

On a side note, I acquired some time ago this Xiaomi monitor light (https://www.mi.com/global/mi-computer-monitor-light-bar/overview) but my U3011 is too thick to receive the light bar.😆

Those old panels burned a ton of heat in the backlight. The new ones burn a lot less while being just as bright or brighter. At idle my entire sig rig with monitor uses about 150W (measured by my UPS), and about half that is the 34" UWD monitor at 50% brightness. A bit under about 400W at load.

Windows font rendering, at best, has always historically been best categorized as 'jank' to put it politely. And, TBH 32" 4K 16:10 causes a problem because Windows and Windows developers have yet to write their code in a way that scales reasonably well above 96ppi. Best case scenario--only use intervals of 50% in the size slider in Windows.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
29inch ultrawide is very vertically short. I have a 34 UWD, and it is about as small as I would go at 21:9.
I'm using a 38" UW and can't imagine going back to 16:9. as I love the horizontal estate for side-by-side windows. Had a 32" before that and the vertical height was too much for me.