What did you do today?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Today I placed some pretty big hardware orders across Amazon, and various local distributors, for lots of hard drives (260TB worth), SSDs (around 12TB), and components for both upgrades and a complete PC build.

I've given myself a lot to do since I started telling people at work about Chia (a storage based cryptocurrency).

Now I'll be upgrading and building PCs for plotting and farming for the next few weeks.

The new plotting PC I'll be building (not for me) is SFF though. It will be built into a Cooler Master NR200 (vented), and I'm hoping that the Scythe Fuma 2 cooler will fit (it does look a little tight).

I'll post some info on the build on the forums once I get everything, but I'll keep it focused on the SFF aspects, and lighter on the crypto side of things...

Tonkatsu

Average Stuffer
Jul 18, 2020
Today I put an ARGB strip in my case....

*noises of ppl loading guns*

Wait, seriously it's mainly for bringing some lighting to work with in that pit of darkness that is my PC.
Now I can peek on my cables and plugs and see fans are actually rotating when trying news settings,
and a great unplanned side-benefit is that the front panel's USB and audio ports are now back-lit, so I no longer struggle in the dark like an old fool to plug a thumb drive or headset.
Quite convenient for like 10 bucks.
Besides the basic white lighting intended for seeing inside my build occasionally, I've kept it on settling on a reddish-orange like vintage nixie tubes.
This is nicer than I thought, not sure I'll keep that on for too long though, wonder how I could light only a select few of the LEDs, like only a couple for the fans and front panel ports.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
wonder how I could light only a select few of the LEDs, like only a couple for the fans and front panel ports.

I've been wanting manufacturers to add backlit ports to motherboards and laptops as a feature for ages. I'm really surprised it hasn't been done yet.

Even a temporary light activated by proximity, or a push button like the UID LED on a server would be great.

Reactions: Tonkatsu

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Today I placed some pretty big hardware orders across Amazon, and various local distributors, for lots of hard drives (260TB worth), SSDs (around 12TB), and components for both upgrades and a complete PC build.

I've given myself a lot to do since I started telling people at work about Chia (a storage based cryptocurrency).

Now I'll be upgrading and building PCs for plotting and farming for the next few weeks.

The new plotting PC I'll be building (not for me) is SFF though. It will be built into a Cooler Master NR200 (vented), and I'm hoping that the Scythe Fuma 2 cooler will fit (it does look a little tight).

I'll post some info on the build on the forums once I get everything, but I'll keep it focused on the SFF aspects, and lighter on the crypto side of things...
I was going to do the same, but the ROI wasn’t good enough for me, for the initial investment I could invest. Good luck though.

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I was going to do the same, but the ROI wasn’t good enough for me, for the initial investment I could invest. Good luck though.

I might start another off topic thread here once I have some more experience setting everything up, and figuring out what works and what doesn't, but I've told everyone who's bought stuff to not buy more than they could use if Chia fizzles out and goes nowhere in a few months.

Personally, I'm just upgrading a 6 year old ThinkServer TS140 that I use as a home server. It was in need of an overhaul and some bigger drives anyway. It's going from 2x 4TB drives to 2x 16TB drives, and up to 16GB of ECC RAM. The old drives are going into an external YottaMaster dock to farm till they die.

My only real "Chia investment" is a Sabrent Rocket SSD and an M.2 to PCIe adapter card. That should manage over 1000 plots before it's TBW is used up, and hopefully it carries on working after that. I'm kind of interested in killing an SSD anyway, to see what the difference between the manufacturers endurance, and real world endurance actually is.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
just casually assemble and test my new pump-res combo: "blemish" Optimus Absolute D5 5.75" & XSPC D5 PWM (not MOLEX, SATA cable FTW!)

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Hmm, isn't that computer about to fall off the table? 😱
What gives that color to the water?
Nice little unit!
nah, the case behind much more stable than it looks. it's not like I'm rocking my tables everyday haha. the liquid is just distilled water.

The colour would be microbubbles from what I can see
yeah, lots of them because I didn't put a short tube inside to guide the inflow and the pump is on full blast. only needed visual confirmation so I lazied it out 🤪

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Today the local observatory reported that temp hit a record of 36.1C (96.98F) in this month of May.
Drinking a lot of water and iced lemon Coke to hydrate myself. Heat stroke can be serious.
The only other active member with a potential higher local temp is probably @thelaughingman in Vietnam. Report your temp please.🥵