What did you do today?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Today I...

Popped the disc in my back again...

After tuning my all AMD Ghost S1 system, i went to work on my friends PC. He’s a YouTuber and has a workstation in a massive Fractal case. 5 hard drives, NH-D15, full ATX, optical drives... the whole set up. Well, after hefting this massive rig and swearing I would never build something so big again, I set it down, stood up, and found myself on the floor.

yay....

Next time he asks about a system, he’s getting a Zotac Magnus mini-pc
Friends don't let friends handle non-SFF cases. Just say no!

Hope your back gets better though, back issues suck.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Friends don't let friends handle non-SFF cases. Just say no!

Hope your back gets better though, back issues suck.

I have an anterior fusion set for the end of the month. Hopefully that solves it. The disc can't go out if there is no disc to go out.

• Wow
Reactions: confusis

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Less fun, but today I held my cat in my arms and peted her until she closed her eyes for the last time. She was a 17 years old Maine Coon.

During the night, her lower body has suddenly been paralized, saw her crawling on the ground using her forelegs only. Vet couldn't do anything...
So sorry to hear that, at least she had a long life.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Less fun, but today I held my cat in my arms and peted her until she closed her eyes for the last time. She was a 17 years old Maine Coon.

During the night, her lower body has suddenly been paralized, saw her crawling on the ground using her forelegs only. Vet couldn't do anything...

Sucks. MCs are awesome cats.

Hopefully she lived a good life before joining the Great Mouse Hunt 😢

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
At the same time introduce him to the forum :)

He's a gre

Im sorry for your loss. I know exactly how it feels to do that. One of the hardest things in life is to outlive loved ones.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

17 years old is quite an old age for a cat.. RIP & sorry for your loss.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
So sorry to hear that, at least she had a long life.

Thank you.

Sucks. MCs are awesome cats.

Hopefully she lived a good life before joining the Great Mouse Hunt 😢

Thank you. Can't agree more. I've had 2 Maine Coons and both have been awesome, loyal and kind cats.

Im sorry for your loss. I know exactly how it feels to do that. One of the hardest things in life is to outlive loved ones.

Thank you. I prepared myself mentaly when I opened the vet's door ... but you're never ready enough.

17 years old is quite an old age for a cat.. RIP & sorry for your loss.

Thank you. And yes, 17 years old is a venerable age for a Maine Coon. Sadely, they rarely live longer than 12-13 years.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Today, after 6 months of trying to get a GeForce RTX 3080, I finally gave in and paid double the suggested retail for one. Not from a scalper on Ebay, but through a local store, who are authorized dealers. They should ship the card on Tuesday, and I hope to have it by this time next week.

While I would have been happier to have found one sooner, and at a more reasonable price, waiting 6 months has actually worked out for the best, let me explain...

Back in early November after a month of trying to get an RTX 3080, I realized that I wasn't going to find one in 2020, so I decided to take the $750 I had budgeted for the GPU and use it to buy Bitcoin. At the time it got me 0.05 BTC.

This morning I was up at about 5am and decided to go and check the graphics cards listings at Wootware (a local computer store), and low and behold there was an EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra in Stock. Not only the first 3080 I had seen in stock in months, but one that would actually fit into my NCASE M1 without modification.

I ordered it, and cashed out my 0.05 Bitcoin, which is now worth $3150. Not only does that cover the inflated pricing of the graphics card, but it's also paid for a new monitor to go with it!

Unfortunately, there's a very long 6 week lead time on the Alienware AW3821DW that I've ordered, but that gives me enough time to build and tweak my new PC.

Super excited as you might have guessed! It's been over 7 years since I last had a new desktop PC.

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Does any of you have knowledge about that and especially if any kind of keeb/mouse could help ?

The Logitech range are some of the best ergonomic options. Although getting a more ergonomic keyboard, and mouse are most often recommended for suffers of carpal tunnel syndrome, I believe that having arthritis can increase your chances of suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome too.

I'd say it's worth trying some of these options if they can reduce any amount of pain or discomfort.

You can always blame the new keyboard and mouse if you're not doing well in competitive multiplayer games too! 😁

ERGO Series by Logitech - Ergonomic Mice & Keyboards

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
The Logitech range are some of the best ergonomic options. Although getting a more ergonomic keyboard, and mouse are most often recommended for suffers of carpal tunnel syndrome, I believe that having arthritis can increase your chances of suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome too.

I'd say it's worth trying some of these options if they can reduce any amount of pain or discomfort.

You can always blame the new keyboard and mouse if you're not doing well in competitive multiplayer games too! 😁

ERGO Series by Logitech - Ergonomic Mice & Keyboards

Thanks for the suggestion ... and CST has already been my daily for 2/3 years now, Arthritis is just the icing on the cake lol.

Edit: I'm a Trackball user, hand operated one to be more accurate. I'mwondering what the Ergo one is worth. Also, I've been considering a split keyboard like an Ergo or a Dactyl, but been reading that very thin keyboard are best suited for arthritis...

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Thanks for the suggestion ... and CST has already been my daily for 2/3 years now, Arthritis is just the icing on the cake lol.

Edit: I'm a Trackball user, hand operated one to be more accurate. I'mwondering what the Ergo one is worth. Also, I've been considering a split keyboard like an Ergo or a Dactyl, but been reading that very thin keyboard are best suited for arthritis...

I'm not sure about arthritis, but as someone who had CST long ago (during my university days), I agree that ergo keyboard and/or palm rest can help. I have no experience with thin keyboard, but I assume it works the same with higher keyboard + palm rest, basically raising your hands on the same level as the keyboard, which is good.

Also, you may have heard this many times, but don't sit/stay too long in one position. Do relax & stretch your fingers, arm, and shoulder every 15-30 mins.

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Today I've been diagnosed with arthritis, which sucks since I'm "only" 40 years old lol.

Does any of you have knowledge about that and especially if any kind of keeb/mouse could help ?
I am seconding the ergo keyboard suggestion.
"Common knowledge" that help overall (although maybe not specific to your case):
- Less keys: reduces hand the need for hand movement.
- Keyboard-centered workflow. Meaning that mouse is not required. That back-and-forth from keyboard to trackball was killing my wrists at some point.
- The height of the wrist rests matters.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
been reading that very thin keyboard are best suited for arthritis...

If you're after a thin keyboard, but not a specifically ergo one, then I can recommend the Microsoft Surface Keyboard.

According to my digital calipers the base is only 5.1mm thick, and only 7.1mm including the keys. I don't think you'll find a thinner keyboard that's as nice to use.

I'd say I've had one for about 2 years, but the truth is that I had it for closer to 3 months before my girlfriend suggested I get another keyboard for myself, as she was adopting the Surface Keyboard. It's a bluetooth keyboard, and it has excellent battery life (I think I've only replaced the batteries once), and she even uses it for gaming.

It's probably the closest a Windows keyboard gets to the Apple Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Had 2nd COVID vaccine injection today.
So far, feeling OK (even though many say 2nd dosage usually has a higher chance of side effects).
Told to drink a glass of water before and after injection, to help keeping the body fully hydrated. Not sure if it actually works but I did it anyway. Sounds no harm.
Taking the day off like last time.
Finished all the remaining side missions of Wolfenstein II and wrapped up the game.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Spent the whole workday doing a theory of science course on Zoom. Very interesting stuff, but full-day video conferencing is exhausting, and I'm a bit disappointed in the others in the course not being more active in discussions (I'd expect that for BA or MA students, but not on the ph.d. level). As if that wasn't punishing enough, I've been struggling with motivation for exercise lately, so to change things up I decided to do a 5x1 minute interval run. Now I just hate myself. The potential upside is that my regular 6km runs might not seem as boring and/or unrewarding after this. But judging by the feeling of my lungs, thighs and body overall, I might just not move at all for a few days.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I've been struggling with motivation for exercise lately

I've found it tough getting back to the gym after the closures during the lockdowns. It's more of an effort because of all the additional safety measures in place since they've reopened, and so I'm down to once a week instead my usual 3 or 4 times.

They also haven't reopened Parkrun in South Africa. I really enjoyed that, and I'm hoping they find a way to reinstate them soon.

Parkrun is a 5km timed run that's held every Saturday. It's free, and with it being timed, as well as having stats and milestones does keep you motivated to go, and try to improve your time.

If they do Parkrun in your country and there's one near you (and it's open), I can highly recommend them.

Reactions: Valantar