What did you do today?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
That's really insane
I live in Vietnam - if you've seen some crazy-ass cryptomining stories recently, they all came from Vietnam.

Oh dear lord ! That's way over MSRP when it lauched ?
RTX 3080s are being traded here for 2,000 USD, RTX 3090s for 2,700 USD and as Bitcoin price continues to climb, GPU pricing climbs also. People who got the RTX 3080s early since launch have been selling them and then get a 6900 XT and still have 400 USD leftover. Talk about paying to trade up, more like get paid to trade up

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Backed up some data from a Garuda Linux install that I'll be blowing away, looked at some LEGO sets and MOCs, and started planning my next office and tool acquisitions.

Reactions: Phuncz

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Pushed my 5950X CO setting to -25 all cores and it just boosts itself over 5.2Ghz 😂

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Worked on my Windows 98SE PC today. There’s no way to go SFF on this. I started with a Dell Dimension 4100 as a base.

P3 933mhz
512MB PC133 SDRAN
10K RPM Raptor HD 74GB
GeForce4 TI 4200 64mb AGP
2X Voodoo 2 12MB in SLI
Aureal Vortex 2500 PCI sound card
DVD Reader
CD Burner
Zip Drive
10/100 base-t Ethernet card

A910D28D-7E69-489B-AA50-EC35526543B8.jpeg

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Worked on my Windows 98SE PC today. There’s no way to go SFF on this. I started with a Dell Dimension 4100 as a base.

P3 933mhz
512MB PC133 SDRAN
10K RPM Raptor HD 74GB
GeForce4 TI 4200 64mb AGP
2X Voodoo 2 12MB in SLI
Aureal Vortex 2500 PCI sound card
DVD Reader
CD Burner
Zip Drive
10/100 base-t Ethernet card

View attachment 995
No way to go SFF? Sure there is! With some compromises to historical accuracy at least: Ditch the HDD for direct attached IDE flash storage (CF or SD adapter?), emulate removable storage from flash, suddenly you can cut case volume by ~â…“. A modern power supply could probably be made 1/10th the volume, though that would need to be custom given the need for various no longer used voltages. Of course for the truly adventurous there is stuff like this (admittedly older, but there's probably similar stuff of that generation too): https://www.ebay.com/itm/BM-401-94V...082911?hash=item46ae3f1e9f:g:1jQAAOSwobpewnWR
Essentially a 486 SBC, though it needs a carrier board for power and further expansion. I would really, really love to see someone do a retro SFF build based on something like that! (There are smaller/shorter variants too, lacking the PCI connectivity at the end.)

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
My wife would like a word with you... You, vile disgusting creature (in her opinion)
I was about to point out that I don't sweat and stink easily, but then realized that not everyone is like me and such a defect must not be funny for them to deal with every day, even more as a woman maybe.
So instead I am going to emphasis the fact that everyone should do his/her best to protect our mother earth, even with as a small act as by not washing clothes unnecessarily.
Every Time You Wash Clothes, Millions Of Microfibers Are Released Into The Water

6 Important Reasons to Save Clean Water for Tomorrow

Understanding the Importance of Conserving Electricity
;)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I was about to point out that I don't sweat and stink easily, but then realized that not everyone is like me and such a defect must not be funny for them to deal with every day, even more as a woman maybe.
So instead I am going to emphasis the fact that everyone should do his/her best to protect our mother earth, even with as a small act as by not washing clothes unnecessarily.
I also don't wear fresh clothes every day as to me this also very wasteful. Not just the washing, but also clothes only have a limited amount of cycles they'll survive. Some people just don't sweat that much or smell to need this. Maybe I can't smell myself though.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I also don't wear fresh clothes every day as to me this also very wasteful. Not just the washing, but also clothes only have a limited amount of cycles they'll survive. Some people just don't sweat that much or smell to need this. Maybe I can't smell myself though.
I'm generally a pretty sweaty person (apparently it's genetic, as my siblings and mother are the same) whether it comes to exertion or heat. I still don't need to change my clothes daily, though of course it depends on what I'm doing, the weather, etc. I might go through two t-shirts a day if I'm doing a lot of stuff, or use the same for three days. Ultimately it's actual cleanliness that decides - i.e. smell, feeling dirty, stuff like that. There's a lot of little things like making sure to air out the rooms I'm in periodically and getting a mesh-backed office chair that help a lot. And of course I'm pretty lazy, which helps! :p Jeans, other pants, and outer layer clothes like shirts and sweaters typically only get washed when they are noticeably dirty, which can take weeks or months depending on how frequently they are used and how. Most jeans makers recommend washing their products no more than 2-3 times a year after all. Changing your clothes every day just to wear newly cleaned clothes is rather absurd to me - though I can understand people from less egalitarian societies choosing to do so for reasons relating to perceived class and socioeconomic status. Some cultures put a lot of value in stuff like that, or at least you run the risk of being looked down upon if you don't appear very well groomed. In my experience that tends to go beyond just clothes though.

Reactions: Phuncz

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Today I BLEW THE CAPS OFF an old mainboard. My Dell build is having a lot of issues with the V2s in SLI. They want to run everything instead of just Glide stuff. It's just not working unfortunately. I also discovered that the Power supply is dying....

So change of plans. The Dell will get a Voodoo3 3500 TV model and become my go-to for GLIDE gaming.

But what about Direct X you ask...

I just ordered a 1.4GHZ P3 Tualitin on an Intel Mini-ITX board. Rare find...and a good challenge. Time to find the smallest mini-itx case I can that also has external drives.

Reactions: Phuncz and Valantar

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Holy crap! My tiny "SFF" Compaq tower has a 5.25 inch hard drive. I had never even seen one of these before. It's massive and sounds like a jet engine. I love it! LOL.

Reactions: Valantar

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Today I...

Popped the disc in my back again...

After tuning my all AMD Ghost S1 system, i went to work on my friends PC. He’s a YouTuber and has a workstation in a massive Fractal case. 5 hard drives, NH-D15, full ATX, optical drives... the whole set up. Well, after hefting this massive rig and swearing I would never build something so big again, I set it down, stood up, and found myself on the floor.

yay....

Next time he asks about a system, he’s getting a Zotac Magnus mini-pc