What did you do today?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'll be seeing it this weekend in the luxury of a Dolby Cinema theater. The stuff I've heard about the movie is promising !

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
So a few things happened over the past 2-3 days so I apologize for again a very long post.
I'm still kind of in that non-believing state where I'm questioning if what happened really did happen.

Starting last Thursday, I and another group mate was working as hard as we could to put together a final presentation for our board game. To make our prototypes, we spent over 12 hours at our university's makerspace. We were working tirelessly to gather our prints and our materials for Saturday. The presentation went incredibly well, and our small, roughly 15-large, class gathered around the table wanting to see the game up close. Our game generated a lot of interest and there were lots of questions and discussions regarding how the game was made and how it plays. We received an A for the entire final project and was told that our group performed admirably with how different each of our approaches were to game design.

Following the end of lecture, we were asked to keep in contact with our Professor should we wish to take advantage of any of his connections. He also said that our game idea has great potential and that he would support us if we wished to continue with it. In the hopes of being one of those groups that our professor tells stories about to new students, we handed most of the prototype to our professor to keep (he was originally only going to keep the instruction booklet for grading). He has said that more than telling stories, he will be bringing our instruction booklet to his game dev office and proudly showing it off to his coworkers; while I'm delighted about this, I'm quite embarrassed since I wrote most of the lore and flavor text, but I no longer control where that goes now that I've "published" it into that prototype.

Aside from the presentation, I was approached on Friday night as I was leaving the makerspace by one of the staff, I was asked if I would be interested in running student-to-student workshops on the programs and techniques that I used to draft and design things for 3d printing. In particular, he wanted me to share with others my interest and knowledge in 3D modeling and how I used programs like 3DS max to design our game pieces; he felt that I could teach others how to bring their ideas into a virtual environment for visualization and how to create models for 3D printing. I would be compensated for my time as well.

I told him that while I'm elated to be given this opportunity, I'm still pursuing my undergraduate degree so I did not know if I would have time to plan and set up workshops with them. I also said that if I were to take up the offer, I would like to have a workshop already in mind and at least drafted for review by them. I was asked to keep in touch over the winter and to keep coming back to the makerspace next year should I have any ideas I wanted to pursue.

Though I wish to sleep right now, I have little time to prepare for my Tuesday finals in probability and statistics. If anyone can recommend a good resource for reviewing topics in probability like distribution functions, covariance, and limit theorems, please let me know. I am most worried about this exam out of the three I'm taking this week.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Battled with a super stiff USB 3.0 header cable... I absolutely detest these thick unruly cables with a passion. They make no sense in most cases under 15 liters... thinking I'll just snip 'em off (I already cut the front audio i/o cables) and use my powered USB 3.0 hub instead.

Position A

Position B

Waiting on a few more parts to arrive before completing this build by week end... I will share the complete build then with my thoughts on the Engine 27.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Broke into my old HP laptop for parts. So far there's the screen (looking through ebay for the display controller boards) and the keyboard (still finding keyboard controller boards to plug that into. Also, holy crap it's thin).

Also keeping the fan assembly (for giggles, although I don't have the right connector for it yet) and the expresscard bay part (could be used as a prop for some really obscure thingamajig...)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Battled with a super stiff USB 3.0 header cable... I absolutely detest these thick unruly cables with a passion.

From the leaked pics so far, it looks like some of the upcoming 270-series motherboards will have a different header for front-panel Type-C connectors, so maybe the cable got slimmed down too.

Reactions: cmyk78 and Soul_Est

FullForceRainbow

Trash Compacter
May 12, 2016
It looks like a vertical M.2 connector, similar to the one on the X99-Deluxe:

You can see the M.2 connector on the right, next to the RAM slots.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Since I'm quiting my job, I decided that I'll treat myself well and spend my unused vacations (15 days), that will be paid on my last paycheck, toward the full refresh of my audio setup. Estimated the amount to 3 weeks worth, so 3/4 of my monthly wage.

So today, I spent my day reading reviews and decided on what to get...

Preamplifier: Pro-Ject Pre Box DS

• Single ended Class A preamplifier
  • Relais-comtrolled volume regulation (64 steps, 1dB)
  • 4x RCA inputs / subwoofer output / record output (to connect the headphone amplifier for example)
  • Trigger switching of power amplifier, headphone amplifier, phono preamplifier
  • 103 x 72 x 144mm
Power amplifier: Pro-Ject Amp Box DS

• 2x 100W / 180W @ 8 ohms / 4 ohms
  • Dual mono design
  • Capable of driving 2 ohms speakers
  • Trigger input & loop out
  • 103 x 72 x 144mm
Headphone amp: Pro-Ject Head Box DS

• 350 mW @ 30 ohms / 60 mW @ 300 ohms
  • 24 bits, 192 KHz DAC (S/PDIF, Toslink, USB)
  • 103 x 72 x 144mm
Phono preamplifier: Pro-Ject Phono Box DS

• Linear RIAA regulatiob
  • MM and MC cartridges capable
  • Input impedance, capacitance and gain setting to match cartridge's specs
  • Subsonic filter
  • 103 x 72 x 144mm
Turntable: Pro-Ject Essential II

Media Streamer: Raspberry Pi + Spotify Connect + i2s DAC shield

Loudspeakers: Q Acoustics Concept 20

I'm thinking about getting Raspberry with a top-notch DAC shield (the one pictured has 8x TDA1387 DAC in parallel and full size TCXO oscillator) + Preamp + Power amps + Headphone amp + Speakers.

I'll then add the Phono preamp and the turntable once my vinyls collection gets bigger (currently only have a single dual LP of Nirvana).

Pro-Ject also sell external linear power supply to power ampfliers and sources. This improves the sound and reduce the DC power bricks amount.

Power amplifier linear PSU: Pro-Ject Power Box DS Amp

• Replaces switching mode power supply
  • Soft start
  • Can power 1x Pro-Ject Amp DS or 2x Pro-Ject Amp DS Mono
  • Filtration capacity: 40.000 µF capacitors low ESR types
  • 203 x 72 x 207mm
Sources linear PSU: Pro-Ject Power Box RS Uni 4-way

• Replaces switching mode power supply
  • Soft start
  • Can power up to four devices: RS or DS sources, DC turntables
  • Filtration capacity: 10.000 µF capacitors low ESR types (per output)
  • 201 x 72 x 195mm

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, it's definitely a USB 3.1 port, but I'm not sure if that extends to Type-C with any of the alternate modes enabled: https://www.techpowerup.com/228269/asus-rog-maximus-ix-hero-z270-motherboard-also-detailed
It's nice that it's more compact than the old USB 3.0 header. Curious to see what the cables will look like.

Since I'm quiting my job, I decided that I'll treat myself well and spend my unused vacations (15 days), that will be paid on my last paycheck, toward the full refresh of my audio setup. Estimated the amount to 3 weeks worth, so 3/4 of my monthly wage.

So today, I spent my day reading reviews and decided on what to get...

Preamplifier: Pro-Ject Pre Box DS

• Single ended Class A preamplifier
  • Relais-comtrolled volume regulation (64 steps, 1dB)
  • 4x RCA inputs / subwoofer output / record output (to connect the headphone amplifier for example)
  • Trigger switching of power amplifier, headphone amplifier, phono preamplifier
  • 103 x 72 x 144mm
Power amplifier: Pro-Ject Amp Box DS

• 2x 100W / 180W @ 8 ohms / 4 ohms
  • Dual mono design
  • Capable of driving 2 ohms speakers
  • 103 x 72 x 144mm
Headphone amp: Pro-Ject Head Box DS

• 350 mW @ 30 ohms / 60 mW @ 300 ohms
  • 24 bits, 192 KHz DAC (S/PDIF, Toslink, USB)
  • 103 x 72 x 144mm
Phono preamplifier: Pro-Ject Phono Box DS

• Linear RIAA regulatiob
  • MM and MC cartridges capable
  • Input impedance, capacitance and gain setting to match cartridge's specs
  • Subsonic filter
  • 103 x 72 x 144mm
Turntable: Pro-Ject Essential II

Media Streamer: Raspberry Pi + Spotify Connect + i2s DAC shield

Loudspeakers: Q Acoustics Concept 20

Looks like a nice setup. I've had my eye on those Q Acoustics speakers for a while myself.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've had a Pro-ject turntable not so long ago, I think I still have a simple Pro-ject headphone amp laying around here somewhere. Decently built gear, very to-the-point stuff which I like.