What did you do today?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Haven’t started yet but at least I now have all the parts to go ahead and dismantle my system no do some changes and adjustments. I’ll be replacing the EK side radiator with a Black Ice Nemesis, I’ll replace the (mediocre) EK cpu block with a TechN and also need to redo the soft tubing routing. I must admit that although I’m happy im able to finally do this having all parts in hand, at the same time it’s a bit daunting and don’t really look forward to it.

Reactions: thelaughingman

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Today I checked my new internet speed, which turns out to be spot on.
I was recently ''forced'' to upgrade from my previous up/down 300M plan to this new 500M plan as I was told 300M is no longer available. Actually it is available but can only be subscribed at 'regular' price, which is more expensive than the discounted 500M plan. So, it is a no brainer. Actually 300M speed is enough for me and I do not really need 500M.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Today I checked my new internet speed, which turns out to be spot on.
I was recently ''forced'' to upgrade from my previous up/down 300M plan to this new 500M plan as I was told 300M is no longer available. Actually it is available but can only be subscribed at 'regular' price, which is more expensive than the discounted 500M plan. So, it is a no brainer. Actually 300M speed is enough for me and I do not really need 500M.

Comcast of South Florida gives us a “fast” 25mbit upload....

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
small form factor or a small farm tractor... XD
Ack. Meant to say that it is the 20th anniversary of LEGO Bionicle this year.

Today I accomplished all that I set out to do at work. Only took me twelve hours. Also read an email regarding the new direction or purpose for IT. This included no additional IT personnel as there isn't the financial luxury to do so. Me not being thrilled is an understatement.

P.S.: I know I need to leave and I will. Just trying to build my skills and find my niche again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
In "Kind of SFF" news, I've just backed the Aya Neo handheld.

At 255mm x 106mm x 20mm that puts it at 0.54L and that's including a 7 inch screen!

The specs are:

AMD Ryzen 4500U (6 cores)
16GB LP-DDR4x-4266MHz RAM
512GB M.2 NVMe SSD (There's a 1TB option too)
7 inch 1280x800 IPS 500-nit Display
WiFi 6 / BT 5.0
3 USB C ports and a 3.5mm Headphone Jack
Windows 10
65W PD charging

I also got the dock for it, which gives it 2x USB A ports, HDMI, RJ-45, and SD/TF Card Reader when docked.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Today I built two SFF rigs:

Rig 1: I transferred my Evolve Shift build into a Ghost S1. In the process I upgraded the CPU from an R5-2600 to a 5600X, and the RX590 to a 5700XT. I also added a 1TB SSD and swapped the L9A for the L12 Ghost. Everything went perfectly smooth.

A6B26FCE-D45F-409D-B8B6-AE70CF03A531.jpeg

Rig 2: I built my mother-in-law a PC from the old R5-2600 in a Fractal Node 202. I added a RX550 GPU for basic graphics and decoding, 16GB RAM, and an old 256GB SSD.

C1E0AF77-B64B-40FC-B371-27F491839C61.jpeg

3E7AC8B4-7B32-4B8A-9370-BB2D74652209.jpeg

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Currently staring in awe at my new Ryzen 7 5800X build running open on my desk, under all-core OCCT, at a stable 4.625GHz all-core, at 64-66°C. With a hyper 212 Evo. Completely stock - I haven't even been into the BIOS yet (it's too quick! My monitor doesn't turn on until Windows is loading! I need Asrock's reboot to UEFI tool.). Even running on an open bench, I don't quite believe those thermals. HWinfo64 reports a package power around 100W total - that's definitely less than I was expecting too. So far very, very pleased. Still rather anticlimactic given that I have no idea when my GPU will arrive. Fingers crossed I'll have a whole new PC by late spring.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Currently staring in awe at my new Ryzen 7 5800X build running open on my desk, under all-core OCCT, at a stable 4.625GHz all-core, at 64-66°C. With a hyper 212 Evo. Completely stock - I haven't even been into the BIOS yet (it's too quick! My monitor doesn't turn on until Windows is loading! I need Asrock's reboot to UEFI tool.). Even running on an open bench, I don't quite believe those thermals. HWinfo64 reports a package power around 100W total - that's definitely less than I was expecting too. So far very, very pleased. Still rather anticlimactic given that I have no idea when my GPU will arrive. Fingers crossed I'll have a whole new PC by late spring.
It's been years but I see that Evo 212 is still a pretty respectable CPU cooler 👍

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I haven't even been into the BIOS yet (it's too quick! My monitor doesn't turn on until Windows is loading!

To get into your BIOS from Windows 10:

1. Click on Start, then click Power
  2. Hold down the Shift key
  3. Click on Restart
  4. Click on the Troubleshoot block, then Advanced Options, and then UEFI Firmware Settings
That should reboot your PC and take you into the BIOS

Reactions: Revenant

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
To get into your BIOS from Windows 10:

1. Click on Start, then click Power
  2. Hold down the Shift key
  3. Click on Restart
  4. Click on the Troubleshoot block, then Advanced Options, and then UEFI Firmware Settings
That should reboot your PC and take you into the BIOS
Thanks, but I prefer to use Asrock's utility - it reboots directly into the UEFI when asked to. An extremely handy app! I've tried the above method with varying luck before - sometimes it just doesn't seem to register that shift is being pressed. But it's good to have as a fall-back!
It's been years but I see that Evo 212 is still a pretty respectable CPU cooler 👍
Yeah, I keep mine around for testing and troubleshooting, and apparently it still does the job just fine. People keep saying that 7nm Ryzen is so difficult to cool, but I can't say I see that.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
A house is almost certainly not SFF. SFF means a studio or a 1 bedroom apartment at the most.:)
Hmm... I think a studio would still be the equivalent of a generic mini-tower. Small but missing essentials. To get an SFF house we need something really small, but with all the amenities of a regular house..Like an NCASE M1 of homes....something like this:

Kitchen, laundry, garage, outside deck, bedroom, living room, dining room, reading nook. All in under 500 SQ FT. That’s a SFF house.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This Belgian went full <5L on small living: Link

It all started with a shopping cart and one question: 'How small can a house be that still fits all the essential objects and functions while also maintaining some comfort?'

https://www.steflemmens.be/bamboohome.html

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
The Chuwi Larkbox I backed on Indiegogo last July with delivery expected in August has finally arrived. Not due to issues with the campaign, but rather problems with the Post Office here closing down for lockdowns and/or running on skeleton staff for months.

It's only 0.16L without the AC adapter, but probably double that with it.

I have a busy weekend, but I'll see if I can put up an unboxing video next week.

Once I get it all setup I'll put an entry into the current PPL thread, although I don't thing it will be breaking any records with it's Intel J4115 CPU.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
This Belgian went full <5L on small living: Link

It all started with a shopping cart and one question: 'How small can a house be that still fits all the essential objects and functions while also maintaining some comfort?'
Both its light weight (with so many bamboo) and having wheels, its mobility qualifies it as SFF.
Particularly, this house could double as a boat to float when a serious flood comes.

Lastly, I wonder if the shopping cart forms the lower part of a toilet bowl.😁