What did you do today?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Decided to take my losses with a B450 motherboard that doesn't seem to be booting anymore after I reset the CMOS while forgetting to unplug the power supply. Nothing I've tried like shorting the power-on pins or re-plugging the battery, no video is showing up on either port for graphics. So I will have to go laptop-dock setup for now.

Wondering how hassle-free a EXP-GDC dock setup is. I have a T430 laptop that is solid, just lacking in discrete graphics. And with a capable power supply I finally have a reason to dig out my old 390X Strix to do some gaming on it...

Reactions: Phuncz

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Ok...which one of you voodoo’ed my lower back for building that full size system?! It went completely out today and I’m back to using the Zotac EN1070 because I can’t get out of bed. At least I upgraded it to a 6700T.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Ok...which one of you voodoo’ed my lower back for building that full size system?! It went completely out today and I’m back to using the Zotac EN1070 because I can’t get out of bed. At least I upgraded it to a 6700T.

Ouuch.. had back problem before, I know how it feels. Get well soon!

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Ouuch.. had back problem before, I know how it feels. Get well soon!

Yeah...went to hospital last night, and saw a surgeon today. It looks like I'll need a fusion. Human spines suck. I need a robot spine.

• Wow

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yeah...went to hospital last night, and saw a surgeon today. It looks like I'll need a fusion. Human spines suck. I need a robot spine.

What happened?

Spinal fusion is usually suggested for chronic back pain that is caused by excessive movement of certain part of the spine right?

I assume you've been experiencing this for a while?

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
What happened?

Spinal fusion is usually suggested for chronic back pain that is caused by excessive movement of certain part of the spine right?

I assume you've been experiencing this for a while?

It’s been a long time of a lot of pain. Unfortunately, no amount of physical therapy and epidurals are stopping the pain anymore. I have good days, but the bad days leave me unable to walk, stand, or even sit up without gut wrenching pain.

• Sad
Reactions: Arboreal and Phuncz

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
It’s been a long time of a lot of pain. Unfortunately, no amount of physical therapy and epidurals are stopping the pain anymore. I have good days, but the bad days leave me unable to walk, stand, or even sit up without gut wrenching pain.

I see. I injured lower part of my back during my first bowling game. I think I threw the ball wrongly.

Thankfully it's just a muscle injury, and it's OK after some physical therapy sessions.

But yeah for one day I wasn't able to walk. Leaving my bed & sit down on my chair required me to wriggle like a worm.

Reactions: Revenant

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@Revenant I hope you'll get the treatment soon. A colleague of mine was also fighting chronic back pain and after various measures taken, he also needed surgery and a few months of recovery, but he's feeling so much better.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
@Revenant I hope you'll get the treatment soon. A colleague of mine was also fighting chronic back pain and after various measures taken, he also needed surgery and a few months of recovery, but he's feeling so much better.

It's going to be a long road, but unfortunately it's a road I have to take.

Believe it or not, part of the reason I got into SFF systems is I was having trouble lifting ATX machines. LOL

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
It's going to be a long road, but unfortunately it's a road I have to take.

Believe it or not, part of the reason I got into SFF systems is I was having trouble lifting ATX machines. LOL
Really sorry to read that. I wish you well on your journey. If you do need some work on your spine, I do hope a great solution comes before the year 2077.

Reactions: Revenant

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Nice! What are you planning to do with it? I'm looking forward to seeing someone tackle that chip, the combination of a 35W TDP and 123W stock PL2 is ... interesting.

It's going inside my new workstation, inside a Lone L5 (purchased in June). Been chasing this CPU for quite a long time now. Main focus will be programming (C, C++, Atmel assembly) and hopefully my first "solo" game dev (focusing mainly on retro style).

Last edited:

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Got told that stainless steel dust filter meshes are cheaper and more efficient to produce than filters made from plastics (PVC/PET), who would have thought ? Mesh holes can apparently be etched when using stainless, but have to be drilled / lasered when using plastics, hence the higher costs. I ain't complaining, stainless steel is more premium / durable ?

Reactions: Arboreal

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Stuffed my Masterkeys Pro S full of foam, including getting little strips of foam in beneath the top plate and PCB. Also glued some foam inside of the biggest keys (spacebar, rshift, enter, should probably also do backspace). Sounds much, much better now. Went from kind of rattly and hollow to a very pleasant, solid, rounded typing sound. Not only quieter overall, but less rattle, less pinging from the top plate, less reverb inside the keyboard housing. Bottoming out the keys is massively different. I have neither the money nor time to become a mech key fanatic, but I definitely see the appeal.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Stuffed my Masterkeys Pro S full of foam, including getting little strips of foam in beneath the top plate and PCB. Also glued some foam inside of the biggest keys (spacebar, rshift, enter, should probably also do backspace). Sounds much, much better now. Went from kind of rattly and hollow to a very pleasant, solid, rounded typing sound. Not only quieter overall, but less rattle, less pinging from the top plate, less reverb inside the keyboard housing. Bottoming out the keys is massively different. I have neither the money nor time to become a mech key fanatic, but I definitely see the appeal.

When you modify your keyboard that way, you are already a mech key fanatic in a way ?

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
Last night and this morning I got my 486 ultimate gaming laptop finally setup/working. I had to replace the LCD panel since the old one (actually two others) was failing. They have an issue where the glue separates from the PCB that hold on all the column line signals, then you get vertical lines on the screen. Re-gluing and trying to re-solder was not successful for any long period of time since the lid needs to be opened and flexes, breaking the connections again. But, I scored a like new replacement on Ebay a few weeks ago and finally got around to replacing the screen. I put some epoxy on the new one to prevent the broken connections in the future.

It's a Digital Equipment Corporation HiNote Ultra CT475. Intel 486-DX4 75MHz, 24MB RAM, 1.3GB IDE Hard Drive, Chips & Technologies 65545 1MB VRAM (VLB graphics), ESS AudioDrive ES1488 Sound Blaster compatible sound, 9.5" TFT VGA LCD, dual PCMCIA Slots, iR port, etc. It is also super thin, actually thinner than my Asus F8Sn-A1 laptop, lol. Completely defies mid-1990's laptop standards. I'm sure this thing cost a ton of money back in the day. EDIT: $4685 in 1995. Price adjusted for inflation: $8005. Haha dang.

Last edited:

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Waiting on a parts for a quite almost ground up upgrade of my rig, I today decided to go all in and attempt a dual rad build in the Ncase. Now more parts to wait for... I hope at least the rest will be here soon to start some mock up and trials.