What did you do today?

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Wow, that looks clean. Almost makes me feel bad that there's a GPU going in there that will undoubtedly mess up that cleanliness. Maybe steal the shroud off a Radeon VII and paint it black? ;)

It's under control. That card looks kind of hilarious with all that room left, but whatever.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I bought my first ATX case in a while. Silverstone SETA. I have to move my 9900k system out of my Cerberus X into it. I feel...dirty.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Why, what happened?

The RTX 3080/3090 happened. The only way I can get it into the Cerberus X is to remove an AIO fan. I tested this and it caused the CPU temps to throttle under my workload. The 9900K pushes over 200 watts in my workloads sometimes. This machine does triple duty as an editing , rendering, and high frame rate gaming machine. Plus I keep killing PSUs in the SFX rear mount position. So at least until I figure out another solution, I need to get a bigger case. I still have my MI-6 HTPC, Evolve Shift living room PC, Zotac EN1070, and NCASE M1 systems up and running though. It's just the main rig has to go full size....for now.

What would be perfect for my use case is a version of the Cerberus and Cerberus X with a top mounted 240 or 280mm AIO. Card length of 330mm is fine. MATX lets me run the GPU and 10gbe networking. Top mounted radiator would cool the CPU without damaging the AIO pump or making noise. Using 120 or 140 x 25mm fans is a lot quieter than 120x15.

I did try testing a "shaker" hood style arrangement with the radiator for the AIO out of the case, but it ended up just attracting our cat, and the cooling performance was blah.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
The RTX 3080/3090 happened. The only way I can get it into the Cerberus X is to remove an AIO fan. I tested this and it caused the CPU temps to throttle under my workload. The 9900K pushes over 200 watts in my workloads sometimes. This machine does triple duty as an editing , rendering, and high frame rate gaming machine. Plus I keep killing PSUs in the SFX rear mount position. So at least until I figure out another solution, I need to get a bigger case. I still have my MI-6 HTPC, Evolve Shift living room PC, Zotac EN1070, and NCASE M1 systems up and running though. It's just the main rig has to go full size....for now.

What would be perfect for my use case is a version of the Cerberus and Cerberus X with a top mounted 240 or 280mm AIO. Card length of 330mm is fine. MATX lets me run the GPU and 10gbe networking. Top mounted radiator would cool the CPU without damaging the AIO pump or making noise. Using 120 or 140 x 25mm fans is a lot quieter than 120x15.

I did try testing a "shaker" hood style arrangement with the radiator for the AIO out of the case, but it ended up just attracting our cat, and the cooling performance was blah.

I see. Which RTX 3080/3090 exactly?

If I remember correctly, board partners may come up with smaller ones?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

They might, but the first cards out are likely to be based off the reference design, which is significantly longer than the FE PCB.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

Founders Edition... It's 285mm. I have 275mm of clearance. All of the board partner cards are larger than that unfortunately, otherwise I would happily get a triple slot model that's 275 or smaller.

Reactions: ignsvn

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Worked another long day which is still going. Been doing 9-17 hour days since my employer got hit a month ago.

Inspired by @Phuncz , I started planning a NAS based off of either a PINE64 Rock64 or ODROID C4, an ORICO NS400RU3, and the extras needed to make it all work. Why not Mini-ITX? Modularity, weight, cost, and sufficiency. Why not something like a RockPro64 and a HBA card or a HELIO64? To be honest, they're a bit much and in the case of the RockPro64, require even more hardware to make use of it.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I feel the pain @Soul_Est, been doing 60-70h a week for weeks now. Max been reached on my bday where i worked 20h straight, without a break, on a single day.

Can't wait for next vacations. I've barely been around lately, shame on me as a mod :|
Dayum. I always hope that all of you don't go through what I do and it breaks my heart to so many do. Please take care of yourself @GuilleAcoustic .

Today, I seriously considered quitting my main job, focusing solely on my other jobs, and living more frugally. Having people contact me via messenger, email, desk phone, and my personal phone, for stuff that is important but not always my purview. Then having other critical stuff dropped in my lap but working with information that is weeks out of date and from memory.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Was asked to do a couple of lectures covering for a colleague that's on sick leave. Said yes as I've taught the same course previously, so it should be okay despite not having much time to prepare, though the fact that I'm currently in another country and left the curriculum at my work office (really didn't think I'd be teaching this semester!) is ... a challenge. Remote lecturing is also going to be interesting. Bought a cheap mic and mic stand to at least ensure the students can hear me.

Reactions: Soul_Est