What did you do today?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Jeez, I'm planning to get an LG UW too

I ended up going with the LG 34GN850-B. I already gave my wife my 2080 which, unsurprisingly, she won’t give back. My next fastest card is a 5700XT. I needed Freesync and Gsync support. This panel does both. Plus I prefer IPS panels at least until OLED monitors become a thing.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I will barely game on it, but I'll work from home 2 days a week, at least. I'm used to dual monitor setup at work but I'd prefer UW as it offers the same surface area without having the vertical separation, hence better ergonomics.

I also want USB-C with charge, dp alternate mode and data. That way I can charge my work laptop, use my kb/trabckball and transfer display with a single cable :D.

IPS for sure, I went from Eizo to Asus ProArt. TN or even VA aren't an option lol.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I washed my car, as usual using snow foam and contact wash, this time also iron remover on the wheels and Rain-X on my windscreen and panoramic roof. It's the most unrewarding color (bronze metallic) on a car as you barely see if it's dirty or washed. The only slightly tangible difference I saw was when I polished it.

Though most of the day was spent changing the AIO water cooling out for air cooling in my NAS/ESXi server, once I realised that NH-L12 that served me all these years barely fits in the Silverstone CS01S-HS.
I changed the single 120mm radiator + slim 120mm Noctua fan out for the NH-L12 with the same slim fan, an NF-F12 at the bottom and I had a Delta radial fan from my PowerMac G5 build that I re-wired for DC use. It is now cooling the dual 40Gb networking card that needs a fan to not melt.

The main reason to change out the AIO water cooler was because Steve from Gamers Nexus basically slapped me through my screen for having the pump at the top. Thou shalt not disobey Tech Jesus.

Last edited:

catawalks

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2019
Rebuilt and linearized an AEK2 I had been putting off for weeks. I'm seriously thinking of starting to work on cleaning the carb on my XT225, but I'm running low on beer to keep me motivated.

Reactions: rfarmer

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Eliminating cables from my build like a boss!

Finally able to install the M.2426 in to the build today. What's the best cable management? To have NO cable at all ?

And here is the entire gallery

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thinking about PS5 or XBSX preorder. And looking for new pants
I'll 99% sure be going for an Xbox All Access plan for the XSX. That's just too good a deal to pass up, especially now that we can expect Bethesda games to start trickling into Game Pass.

PhilippNikko

Efficiency Noob
Sep 23, 2020
I'll 99% sure be going for an Xbox All Access plan for the XSX. That's just too good a deal to pass up, especially now that we can expect Bethesda games to start trickling into Game Pass.
Agree, but PS5 has so many exclusives.
RE8, Hogwarts, and God of War are awsome
And when I played RE7 on a PS VR, it was totally another experience.

And Bethersda said, their plans for platforms have not changed. So looks like TES6 will be available on PS5 too

Last edited by a moderator:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Agree, but PS5 has so many exclusives.
RE8, Hogwarts, and God of War are awsome
And when I played RE7 on a PS VR, it was totally another experience.
After a while, sure. But nothing at all at launch, and nothing that excites me until well into 2021. That PR statement Sony put out about their launch lineup was just sad. And I'll most likely be getting a PS5 too after a while - getting to use research grants for that kind of stuff is one of the perks of being in game studies, though they aren't unlimited either (and going to conferences and other necessities are quite a lot more expensive!). But the XSX comes first, at least for me.

I definitely don't think MS will be making Bethesda's titles Xbox exclusive - that's not how they've been operating for the past half decade. Exclusives are Sony's jam, while MS has been doing an impressive job championing cross play and general accessibility. Heck, they even put their own games on Steam! But getting high profile titles included in Game Pass is a huge win, especially for us PC+console gamers.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well...I completed the Silverstone SETA Build. Just waiting for a RTX 3080 Founders. I took the standard Seta and added foam acoustic dampening. I replaced all the fans with Noctua Redux 140 to match the gray/black theme. Black and silver cable extensions, and micro LED strips to give a nice but not overpowering ambient glow. To counter the limited front airflow of the case, I made sure that the floor was open and vented. I'm running 3 Redux 140s in exhaust, and 2 as intake through the radiator. It gives a nice negative air pressure flow and keeps air moving very quietly.

Specs:
- 9900K at 255 watt limit (Prime 95 24 hour stable at 4.7 all core)
- Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
- Radeon 5700XT stock model (temp until Founders 3080 becomes available)
- 64GB of DDR4-3600 G-Skill Trident Z Neo CAS 16
- 2X 2TB Sabrent NVME SSDs
- 1X 1TB Samsung SATA SSD
- NZXT 280mm X62
- Cablemod Cable Extensions in black and silver.
- Corsair 850 Watt RMX
- Soundblaster X7 external Sound Card
- Logitech 5.1 THX 5.1 Surround System.
- Klipsch Quintet 5 speakers to replace stock logitechs.
- LG 34 inch 144hz IPS Ultrawide with Freesync/Gsync

9900k52.jpg

.... Don't worry. I didn't abandon SFF. My wifes new rig is in a H210, my HTPC is an MI-6, Family room is a Evolve Shift, and my back up work machine is a NCASE M1. I also still have the Zotac EN1070 with the 6700T upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and TheHig

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
After three days of the most annoying email exchange imaginable, I've confirmed that I can't get an Xbox All Access plan here in Sweden. Apparently the bank handling the payments requires you to have been a registered resident for three years to pass the credit check. So it's literally easier to get a mortgage than an Xbox here. I really wasn't expecting that.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
After three days of the most annoying email exchange imaginable, I've confirmed that I can't get an Xbox All Access plan here in Sweden. Apparently the bank handling the payments requires you to have been a registered resident for three years to pass the credit check. So it's literally easier to get a mortgage than an Xbox here. I really wasn't expecting that.

Of course... sounds like a typical bank.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
.... Don't worry. I didn't abandon SFF. My wifes new rig is in a H210, my HTPC is an MI-6, Family room is a Evolve Shift, and my back up work machine is a NCASE M1. I also still have the Zotac EN1070 with the 6700T upgrade.
You seem to have lost your way. Please go to one of our brain washing allignment centers for extensive recalibration.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Of course... sounds like a typical bank.
Pretty much, yeah, though I'm used to them at least being open to convincing through documentation etc. I offered to give them the same stuff I gave to the bank providing my mortgage (proof of employment, pay slips, etc.), but apparently that's not an option when you're doing something as big and risky as ... buying a $500 console over two years at 0% interest. I mean, I get that a mortgage is secured through the real estate it purchases, and that this is essentially an unsecured line of credit, but... it's $500. Come on.

Also, any large organization that in 2020 lacks a CRM system that tracks cases and thus allows representatives to easily get an overview of the case even if they haven't handled it before should be forced to cease operations. The frustration of every single email being responded to as if it's the first time I contacted them (despite them containing an ever longer chain of quoted responses) was probably the worst part of this whole stupid ordeal.

• Angry
Reactions: Soul_Est

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
You seem to have lost your way. Please go to one of our brain washing allignment centers for extensive recalibration.

LOL. For what it’s worth, I still managed to choose a relatively small full size case, and will have exactly 10mm of clearance between the 3080 and the front fans when I get it.