What did you do today?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
?bedroom on 2/F, study room on G/F.
I just notice the carpet must not be part of the package as it is a little bit too short for the 4 posts.

This is the picture from the website ;). Those things are god sent when it comes to optimise how space is used. Still have some work to do (get a lil' more bookshelves, a Fatboy clone for ground level chilling).

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Not today, but this weekend I assembled 2 of this :

Took roughly 10h, 140 screws to screw by hand (no power screwdriver with enough torque) ... and a few blisters on my hand of course lol.

Congrats, that's not exactly an easy stroll. Btw IKEA or.. ?

Which distribution did you go with ?

Went with Mint 20 Cinnamon, for the ease of use & slightly lower system requirement.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Congrats, that's not exactly an easy stroll. Btw IKEA or.. ?

Thanks. It's not Ikea, it's from a small french woodworking factory. It's 100% made from solid french pine.

Went with Mint 20 Cinnamon, for the ease of use & slightly lower system requirement.

Nice. How is Cinnamon ? I've never tried it.

Reactions: Arboreal

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Thanks. It's not Ikea, it's from a small french woodworking factory. It's 100% made from solid french pine.

Ooh that must be strong and solid! And yeah harder to drill & screw LOL!

Nice. How is Cinnamon ? I've never tried it.

Layout wise it's refreshing. As for the rest - it's too early for me to say anything.

I do have problem with my psensor tho - I'm not yet able to see my voltage & CPU fan speed :)

Having said that, I guess the overall learning curve won't be so steep compared to when I tried Linux (and learning computer science) 15 years ago.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Today I went through one of my 'spare parts' bin and came across a 'brand new' unopened tube of thermal paste. It is still in its plastic package without ever being opened. I wonder if it is still in good condition. I did a web search on TIM shelf life and only found info for storing an opened tube...nothing about an unopened one.
So, what do you guys think? Of course, the only sure way to find out is to open it and squeeze a little bit out and check its condition. But then, this is an intrusive method which I wish to avoid. The tube is about 5 years old.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I moved my build from my PowerMac G5 to my modded Xigmatek Nebula C.

That's an mATX motherboard, SFX-L PSU and 6 HDDs (3,5"). It fits, barely, but with two 140mm fans and a CPU fan (Scythe Shuriken 2 rev. B) the HDDs and CPU are cool.

I mounted the 6 drives jankily with 4 steel strips and the same mounting hardware as the PowerMac G5. They aren't fixed in place, just sitting on top of one of the 140mm fans. The PSU also couldn't be mounted where I originally thought with the case, I used 3M VHB tape to mount it to the top of the case. The PSU mounting bracket is there to keep the HDDs from sliding too much when moving the case.

This isn't my proudest accomplishment but I just wanted to see if it's possible. Now that I know it all can fit, I'll try to get everything fitting more rigidly.

That USB stick is for the NAS OS (XigmaNAS, coincidence)

To think this case was originally designed for mITX with 2 HDDs...

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This morning I went to hell ikea and this afternoon I made a bunch of crêpes.
I've been to Ikea ... what, five times over the past couple of weeks? The joys of moving! Only one of them was truly awful, though each time I come away convinced that I've been infected with Covid-19, SARS, Typhoid fever, and likely a few other unspeakable diseases. They do make attempts at crowd control (the lines outside have been massive!), but limiting the total number of visitors in a place like that just doesn't work, as people inevitably clump together in some spots.

Oh, and for anyone ever considering getting Ikea's nice-looking Floalt LED panel lighting, here's some quick impressions: really excellent lighting for work areas, kitchens, etc; they're bright, dimmable and the adjustable color temperature is pretty nice; but hanging them on a concrete ceiling is terrible. Impact drilling 8-10 holes into the ceiling for each lamp? Not fun at all, particularly when you have three of them to install.

Today I painted a wall in our new living room. Just one coat for now, will need another though. A kind of blue-green medium gray (if that makes sense at all - it's called Jotun Cityscape), should make for a nicely toned-down backdrop behind the TV and some shelving, and not make the TV dominate the entirety of the room. The last thing I want as a first impression in the living room is "hey, look at our huge new TV!", so this should help with that. (I would much rather have people notice the dining table we splurged on ;) ).

Reactions: Phuncz

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
The last thing I want as a first impression in the living room is "hey, look at our huge new TV!", so this should help with that. (I would much rather have people notice the dining table we splurged on ;) ).

I read you on that. I bought a Samsung Serif for that exact reason. I put fake plant on top of mine (that flat "bookshelf'ish surface is very convenient for that) and planned to put an old fruit crate between its legs with old books inside of it.

Reactions: Valantar

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Have a good laugh today with this Youtube video.
If you speak German, better mute the audio and just use the English subtitles for best laugh.

''Hitler reacts to RTX 3000 series''

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Got many wires done for my CL520. It's really nice not having any front panel cables lmao.

Wow, that looks clean. Almost makes me feel bad that there's a GPU going in there that will undoubtedly mess up that cleanliness. Maybe steal the shroud off a Radeon VII and paint it black? ;)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I read today Frank Azor (AMD's chief architect of gaming) mentioning in his twitter some lyrics from a song ''Tomorrow" by Charles Strouse.
Some have speculated that RX 6000 series cannot wait any longer and might come out tomorrow!
This is good news for both Nvidia and AMD fans. Needless to say, AMD fans will be happy. But Nvidia fans should be happy too as having some good competition should keep the prices down of the RTX 3080 and 3070.

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I might have gone just slightly overboard on this cable coiling thing once I discovered just how easy it is ...

Not visible: the cable for that keyboard is also coiled. Posted it on Discord the other day, but I re-did it to add some length to the coil. Now I think it's coiled a bit too tightly and I'll probably re-do it a third time. Yay! :p

So convenient though! Finally the charging cables for various devices wont' just be flopping around all willy-nilly.

Reactions: ignsvn and Arboreal