What did you do today?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I did a fairly good look on all ITX cases that I know. Most adapt the current trend of having a solid front panel. I really dislike this design fad. Front panel is best to be perforated for air intake. It is interesting to note that larger cases tend to have much more perforated front panels. Ventilation is more crucial to smaller cases but, yet, ITX cases are going in the opposite direction.?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I did a fairly good look on all ITX cases that I know. Most adapt the current trend of having a solid front panel. I really dislike this design fad. Front panel is best to be perforated for air intake. It is interesting to note that larger cases tend to have much more perforated front panels. Ventilation is more crucial to smaller cases but, yet, ITX cases are going in the opposite direction.?
AESTHETICCCCCCCCCCCCC, MINIMALISMMMMMMMMMMMM jokes aside, ventilated/perforated front if not done well kinda stick out like a sore thumb in the desk setup. For front air intake to really have an effect you need a fan to actively draw air in also

Still designing enclosures against this trend and trying to convince people that a wind-tunnel style airflow concept has advantages over having perforated panels all over. ?
I do appreciate the win tunnel/chimney effect (Corsair One for example) but I prefer to have more perforated panels than less. Because it allows flexibility and let me tinker/setup airflow however I think it's best (balancing temps, noise, dust, etc.), and not limited to just the designer's intended config. Guess I think of SFF case as more of a canvas ?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
... ventilated/perforated front if not done well kinda stick out like a sore thumb in the desk setup. For front air intake to really have an effect you need a fan to actively draw air in also...
Take the aesthetic of the side panel of the T1 as an example. I bet many will accept a front panel with a mesh like that, at least myself would.
I do agree that a fan is needed behind a perforated/mesh front. This should not need much more space, probably adding 25-30mm lengthwise to accommodate a 25mm thick fan.

Started working on another case design against this trend and trying to convince people that a wind-tunnel style airflow concept has advantages over having perforated panels all over. ?
Having seen some of your recent work, I look forward to your new design.
To me, it does not have to be a wind tunnel (ie 1 way in, 1 way out). It could be 2-way in and 2-way out.
As long as the airflow path(s) is well designed and well thought out, I am OK. Of course, the flow rate has to be sufficient.
Also, it is highly likely that both Nvidia and AMD reference design will not use the blower type any longer, it is crucial to take this into account to design the airflow path.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
do appreciate the win tunnel/chimney effect (Corsair One for example) but I prefer to have more perforated panels than less. Because it allows flexibility and let me tinker/setup airflow however I think it's best (balancing temps, noise, dust, etc.), and not limited to just the designer's intended config. Guess I think of SFF case as more of a canvas ?

I guess a lot of people prefer to have meshed panels around the case and like to mod them to their liking. Just take the H1 for example. I think thermals are just fine the way it is but many people still buy custom panels and adding more fans to it. But sure, why not. I'm also tuning my bike despite it can drive just fine. ;)

Having seen some of your recent work, I look forward to your new design.
To me, it does not have to be a wind tunnel (ie 1 way in, 1 way out). It could be 2-way in and 2-way out.
As long as the airflow path(s) is well designed and well thought out, I am OK. Of course, the flow rate has to be sufficient.
Also, it is highly likely that both Nvidia and AMD reference design will not use the blower type any longer, it is crucial to take this into account to design the airflow path.

Agreed, IMHO a case should just provide a good overall airflow concept In order to achieve thermals which are similar or better compared to an open air bench. Pushing fresh air in from one or two sides and exhaust from the other side(s) is the perfect way to do that. Just take the crypto miners as example. These things can deal with some KW of dissipation due to the wind-tunnel design.

Also I just remember my old Midi Tower, which had a perfect airflow design. Front intake and exhaust from the back. Psu in the top of course to help with exhaust. And closed side panels with thick acoustic foam. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
As of July I'm now working as a freelancer, after working at a full time job for the last 9 years.

So, I decided to get graphic designer to do a new logo that I can use for my invoices, email signature, YouTube and Instagram.

After a few revisions, I received the final design today. I still need to decide on the colour (although I quite like the green), and they're working on a version or element that I can use as a profile picture.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Once again one of those new-rich little boys cut my way at the traffic light. After I gestured with a certain finger that I'm not amused with his behavior he even tried to push me off the road with his Mercedes AMG. Since driving skills cannot be acquired with money he didn't succeed. But of course he took a video with his phone for his wechat friends to show them how bad foreigners are behaving in China. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Phuncz and tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Once again one of those new-rich little boys cut my way at the traffic light. After I gestured with a certain finger that I'm not amused with his behavior he even tried to push me off the road with his Mercedes AMG. Since driving skills cannot be acquired with money he didn't succeed. But of course he took a video with his phone for his wechat friends to show them how bad foreigners are behaving in China. ?
As a German, you will excel on high speed driving on the Autobahn. But, for stop-and-go city traffic, better be patient.?
Maybe, at least you can take a tiny bit of comfort that you were cut off by a German automobile.
Interestingly, I too was cut off at a traffic light, by a little Japanese SUV today. I could have hit him and he will have the full fault and I will be fully covered by insurance. But I would still lose a lot of time and mental energy. So, had to swallow the frustration down. As a Chinese saying goes...''take a step back to see a wider sky and ocean''

Last edited:
Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
As a German, you will excel on high speed driving on the Autobahn. But, for stop-and-go city traffic, better be patient.?
Maybe, at least you can take a tiny bit of comfort that you were cut off by a German automobile.

I'm actually already used to this and let them go most of the times but sometimes it's just a reflex I cannot control my temper, especially when I see those guys with their expensive import cars. But so far I've always won the pursuit despite my pitiful ride. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I will do so and create a thread in the hardware section. I want to change the fan so I have to open it anyway :)

Great! Many people are looking for affordable high power flex PSUs and would like to see some review of that one. Hopefully it's not a scam like the one I ordered before. ?

Edit: please also let us know how noisy it is with the stock fan and how hot it gets under full load. :)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Took a long nap after dinner and did some cable management at my desk. Noticing that my smartphone of over three years needs a replacement with little in sight for what I want to replace it with. Currently running some tests on Full Circle, uploading some pictures to update the build log, and dreaming of a better future.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Last week I cleaned and detailed my car, today I finished it. Snow foam, soap wash, clay, polish (2 times), ceramic coating.

I have an ugly brown-silvery color paint on a boring car and it just isn't rewarding at all. It's more shiny, just about it. Will probably not do it again with this car.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Last week I cleaned and detailed my car, today I finished it. Snow foam, soap wash, clay, polish (2 times), ceramic coating.

I have an ugly brown-silvery color paint on a boring car and it just isn't rewarding at all. It's more shiny, just about it. Will probably not do it again with this car.

I’ve been meaning to do that for months. I know I need to clay bar again as I haven’t done it since I bought the car over 3 years ago. I got the front of the car fitted with Xpel PPF which has helped a lot, but I know if I don’t get round to it soon I’ll be reducing the lifespan of the film.

How long did your whole process take?

Reactions: Phuncz

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I did some chores, helped out a friend, curated the photos that I uploaded, and currently working on a post for the build log.

Reactions: Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Xmas shopping for my kids (best to do it now so I don't have to deal with the xmas rush)
Car parts buying (more JDM parts for my car)
Work

Yesterday I detailed my sister's car. More car stuff recently than SFF.... ah well. Skyreach build incoming soonish.