What did you do today?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'm planning a build based on ancient hardware. The theme is blue. :)

Blue ... Ancient hardware ... Gonna turn an SGI Iris Indigo into an espresso machine ?

SiliconGraphics has plenty of blue chassis :D

letarded

Efficiency Noob
Jul 14, 2018
Went from this.

I7 2600K at 4.7Ghz Single core score was 355

To this.

Stock 3600X on a MSI B450i AC mobo thats currently sitting inside a Define Mini C. That is next on the upgrade list then monitor and then finally GPU.

cant wait to try BF5 and MW. The fps was okay before but would have constant drops from over 100 down to 60 so made it very awkward to play.

Reactions: owliwar and rfarmer

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Before I go off to celebrate New Years, I uploaded 215 pics to the Losias image host... All the pics for the MPD-01 project. We'll see what I have for time in the near future, but we may get an actual worklog soon...

Reactions: owliwar

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Over the past few days I've been re-learning the C language and how to use it effectively for Object Oriented programming- basically to get more of the potential out of using C as opposed to using C++.

Blue ... Ancient hardware ... Gonna turn an SGI Iris Indigo into an espresso machine ?

SiliconGraphics has plenty of blue chassis :D

I've seen a few SGI machines at the college I went to, in one of the engineering buildings. Mostly they're there for just making old 90s caliber VR simulations for educational purposes. It was uncanny using old specialized peripherals that were basically precursors to modern motion controls and gaming VR setups.

Reactions: ignsvn

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Combined getting ready for surgery tomorrow with some small tinkering on my ever more Frankensteinian Optiplex. It's getting a new PSU that can actually handle the installed hardware (MeanWell UHP-350-12 + G-Unique Archdaemon) and front USB 3.0 and audio modded into the front bezel. It's mostly going well, and I guess my soldering skills are improving - but they're still terrible. I'm glad nobody but me is going to see that XT60 connector between the PSU and G-Unique unit, as it's quite atrocious.

Beyond that I'm both nervous for tomorrow and very much looking forward to waking up afterwards. Fingers crossed I guess.

Reactions: mb67 and comagoosie

Finley Leonard

Efficiency Noob
Dec 30, 2019
I've dropped my monitor from the desk and smashed kinect v2 today (the most amazing thing is the monitor's fine).

Now I'm planning to order Azure Kinect and looking for information on the web on its compatibility with Artec Studio or any other software for 3D scanning. It's a sad day, only beer can cheer me up.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Realized my sick plan to build a legacy system is totally supid. Old rare motherboards are still unbelievably expensive. ._.

Reactions: owliwar

s7tronic

Cable Smoosher
Nov 25, 2019
Received my FT03 Mini, dummy fit a rig in it and considered streaming the build with an AMA. hmmm..

Nice case, I had both the Ft02 & Ft05's, Silverstone make a great case-excellent fit and finish. I found their 180mm AP fans got loud at higher speeds, not sure what the 140mm's are like... A Noctua NF A14 chromax would be a nice fit if the stock fan was a bit vocal :)

Reactions: confusis