What did you do today?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
That makes total sense, but I prefer ! over .

I guess it's a matter of preference .
Personally I tend to favor more exotic punctuation; I guess that says more about me than it does about anyone else.

Can't quite respond to "What did you do today" given that it's currently 08:01 and I've barely eaten breakfast, but I'm getting ready to leave for my third-to-last radiation treatment. Quite surprised that these five weeks have flown by quite the way they have, and I'm extremely happy with how few adverse effects I've had from the treatment. I mean, some days over the past week have been quite painful, but at least I haven't had to resort to any kind of strong painkillers, and I've mostly escaped skin damage. And apparently the form of chemo that I'm on is indeed as mild as they said. Outside of some minor nausea it really hasn't bothered me. While the past week has mostly been spent lying in bed, that's more for comfort than necessity, and I can still go for walks, drive, etc. Still, I am so damn glad I'm done with this soon. Then it's on to 2-3 months of letting the body heal itself before I even know if it had an effect. Yay. But at least the treatment is state-of-the-art.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Hang in there! Speedy recovery to you @Valantar .

As for me... I'm mentally exhausted. Who knows that family can be more tiring to be around with than friends? For an introvert like me especially. It's only for another 3 days, I keep saying to myself.

Ooh my now-useless-cos-the-screen-is-broken lcd controller found a new home! Helped my friend dismantle his bricked laptop (hackintosher beware!) over the weekend, checked the model number and it seemed close to and generic enough like my broken panel (same mfg, diff size same res) that I offered to lend him mine to test. He picked it up this morning and tested it just now, it worked!

Glad I don't have to throw awya that lil bugger!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Can't quite respond to "What did you do today" given that it's currently 08:01 and I've barely eaten breakfast, but I'm getting ready to leave for my third-to-last radiation treatment. Quite surprised that these five weeks have flown by quite the way they have, and I'm extremely happy with how few adverse effects I've had from the treatment. I mean, some days over the past week have been quite painful, but at least I haven't had to resort to any kind of strong painkillers, and I've mostly escaped skin damage. And apparently the form of chemo that I'm on is indeed as mild as they said. Outside of some minor nausea it really hasn't bothered me. While the past week has mostly been spent lying in bed, that's more for comfort than necessity, and I can still go for walks, drive, etc. Still, I am so damn glad I'm done with this soon. Then it's on to 2-3 months of letting the body heal itself before I even know if it had an effect. Yay. But at least the treatment is state-of-the-art.

Get well soon @Valantar!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
So my update:

After that dreadful coding test, somehow the HR still wanted to do a phone-interview with me.

"Interview".

Turned out it was more like another session of Q&A, full with programming questions. Really caught me of guard, and in my own word it was FUBAR. Funny though, the HR mentioned I should prepare myself for the upcoming pair programming session with one of their IT people. He emailed me some learning material to keep myself up-to-date with newer/modern programming ecosystem*. He told me to get back to him whenever I feel ready.

I'm not sure if he's just trying to be nice, or there's something in my resume that they really like (indeed my resume is pretty good), or this whole thing is a massive, epic troll.

* Note: I'm one of those ancient developers who can proudly say "I started my career without StackOverflow!".

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Personally I tend to favor more exotic punctuation; I guess that says more about me than it does about anyone else.

A thorough and speedy recovery to you!

So my update:

After that dreadful coding test, somehow the HR still wanted to do a phone-interview with me.

"Interview".

Turned out it was more like another session of Q&A, full with programming questions. Really caught me of guard, and in my own word it was FUBAR. Funny though, the HR mentioned I should prepare myself for the upcoming pair programming session with one of their IT people. He emailed me some learning material to keep myself up-to-date with newer/modern programming ecosystem*. He told me to get back to him whenever I feel ready.

I'm not sure if he's just trying to be nice, or there's something in my resume that they really like (indeed my resume is pretty good), or this whole thing is a massive, epic troll.

* Note: I'm one of those ancient developers who can proudly say "I started my career without StackOverflow!".
Tbh, it reads like you're being strung along. I hope they are legitimately considering you.

Today was meh. Having trouble keeping focused/productive at my main job. Come home and help a friend who is looking to move. Will be helping them tomorrow so I'll have to decline another event I was invited to. Going to eat, do some work for my other jobs, and head to bed. Tomorrow will at least have a decent lunch.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Tbh, it reads like you're being strung along. I hope they are legitimately considering you.

That probability is not 0. However, why would you want to do that?

I mean, if I were HR, and I see a candidate who, did not pass 2 out of 5 rounds of test, for example, i'd be like "kthxbye". Why would you want to waste your time further?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

I mean, if I were HR, and I see a candidate who, did not pass 2 out of 5 rounds of test, for example, i'd be like "kthxbye". Why would you want to waste your time further?
Good question. That said I do so hope that you get in and go far.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Maybe it's not how you do on the test, but your attitude toward the test.
:)
Best of luck!

Reactions: CountNoctua

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yeah let's just hope for the best. Wish me luck, people.
Maybe it's not how you do on the test, but your attitude toward the test.

Best of luck!
With that kind of testing regimen I would expect them to be extremely rigid and results-oriented, but if not that does give me a modicum of hope for the corporate world. Fingers crossed!

mb67

Chassis Packer
Oct 25, 2017
It was yesterday but I cleaned up my car so it won't look so bad for the Spocom event in Del Mar Saturday:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Last night when I was about to go out on an errand I realised our car's battery has ran low because I forgot to turn off the cabin lights. Rookie mistake.

It was late evening and I needed to take my dad to hospital the next morning (just got discharged on sunday, minor op) but we have no car battery charger on hand..

So I figured I'll try something.. look for the biggest 12V brick I have (found 4A one), solder a dc jack socket to a cable and connect the ends to the battery terminals (off the car ofc), leave it overnight, hope for the best in the morning.

It.... WORKS!!!

I had my doubts when I first connected the battery to the adaptor/brick since the light went on (means the battery is powering it) but then I just plugged it to the wall and hoped for the best. Like, I feared the supply won't have enough voltage difference to start charging etc... I also don't have a multimeter on hand (why is this always the case??? I swear I bought multimeters 3 times in the past) to make sure...

But anyway, it's done and I'm now in the hospital with my dad safely.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Last night when I was about to go out on an errand I realised our car's battery has ran low because I forgot to turn off the cabin lights. Rookie mistake.

It was late evening and I needed to take my dad to hospital the next morning (just got discharged on sunday, minor op) but we have no car battery charger on hand..

So I figured I'll try something.. look for the biggest 12V brick I have (found 4A one), solder a dc jack socket to a cable and connect the ends to the battery terminals (off the car ofc), leave it overnight, hope for the best in the morning.

It.... WORKS!!!

I had my doubts when I first connected the battery to the adaptor/brick since the light went on (means the battery is powering it) but then I just plugged it to the wall and hoped for the best. Like, I feared the supply won't have enough voltage difference to start charging etc... I also don't have a multimeter on hand (why is this always the case??? I swear I bought multimeters 3 times in the past) to make sure...

But anyway, it's done and I'm now in the hospital with my dad safely.