What did you do today?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I thought you were saying MacGyver have 'rocket man' as theme song. Gives me shudders. My childhood destroyed right there. I mean, I love Elton John, but MacGyver... no... no..

Haha!

I just saw the linking cone, and thought "Hey, I've seen that before!"

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Just had my interview today, went well if I say so myself.

One of the boss was actually my junior from high school, he was one of our promising captain candidate for next generation when I was captain of the science club. I just noticed that fact this morning. He came and greeted me, didn't expect that hahaha.

But now I get to cook for them some time in the coming weeks ^^
How exciting.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Just had my interview today, went well if I say so myself.

One of the boss was actually my junior from high school, he was one of our promising captain candidate for next generation when I was captain of the science club. I just noticed that fact this morning. He came and greeted me, didn't expect that hahaha.

But now I get to cook for them some time in the coming weeks ^^
How exciting.

LOL why do you need a science club? I thought we already have enough science in school?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
LOL why do you need a science club? I thought we already have enough science in school?

There's no such thing as "enough science" !

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Depends on how you define science. If your definition only includes the natural sciences then yes, there definitely is such a thing as too much, let alone enough science.

All science are nice, one never have enough knowledge. But I live for learning, so I'm disqualified XD

This version also works :D ...

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
After school activity club were mandatory at our school so half of the students were in it just to hang with friends or practice organizational skills.

Those who were really into science just read books, our seniors' research papers and take turns being given access to the computer lab for 'research'. Back then computers and internet were rare and expensive commodity.

Fun times... at one time I was so bored I decide to spend weeks calculating how curve ball in soccer works using limited physics equation we already knew. The model wasn't accurate enough to warrant going into experiments lol. But it did get a few chuckle from our supervisor teacher.

And then we can team up and submit our research proposal for whatever call-for-paper event/awards that comes up, and if we got chosen, that means a spending budget (with proposal, report and audit ofc) and privilege to skip classes for 'research purposes'.

Yes we still need to present (and defend!) our paper to panels, which is nothing but fun...

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
After school activity club were mandatory at our school so half of the students were in it just to hang with friends or practice organizational skills.

Those who were really into science just read books, our seniors' research papers and take turns being given access to the computer lab for 'research'. Back then computers and internet were rare and expensive commodity.

Fun times... at one time I was so bored I decide to spend weeks calculating how curve ball in soccer works using limited physics equation we already knew. The model wasn't accurate enough to warrant going into experiments lol. But it did get a few chuckle from our supervisor teacher.

And then we can team up and submit our research proposal for whatever call-for-paper event/awards that comes up, and if we got chosen, that means a spending budget (with proposal, report and audit ofc) and privilege to skip classes for 'research purposes'.

Yes we still need to present (and defend!) our paper to panels, which is nothing but fun...

With budget to spend & can skip class? Sounds cool. I should have went there LOL.

Ah.. Soccer. I remember discussing about Magnus effect, a few years after that impossible free-kick from Roberto Carlos, as well as some direct corner kick goals.

At that time I understood that these world class athletes are awesome physics machine.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Not quite "today", but over the past week I've gotten my camera out for the first time in ages - mainly as an extra motivation to get out of the house and get some exercise. Not too difficult when autumn is incredibly beautiful right now. I've been feeling a bit better lately too, as the effects of the radiation and chemo are starting to abate, which makes going for longer walks/hikes easier. Also I guess this could be framed as one of the pros of living in Norway - these photos were taken around a small lake literally a 10 minute walk from my house, which is also about 20 minutes from the city centre. Pretty much perfect.

For anyone interested, these were shot on my Pentax K-70, some with the kit 18-135mm lens (which is surprisingly good for a kit lens, particularly with that kind of range), but most with a Sigma 50-200 f4.0-5.6 (that I actually got for about $50).

To set things off: the rowanberry trees are particularly nice looking this time of year.

Got lucky with the lighting on this duck:

Don't quite know what this one was doing (stretching? Yoga?).

There's a golf course nearby. This one I call "Whoops".

Quite nice inside the forest too.

I think these are called Roe Deer in English - rådyr in Norwegian (the letter "Å" is pronounced close to "oh" in English, so the pronunciation of the names is actually quite similar - and now you've learnt some Norwegian today ;) ). They're not uncommon around here (and love eating flowers and plants in people's gardens) but they're quite shy, so I got lucky with them getting close enough for some decent pictures. This was a mother with two fawns. They're quite tiny - according to Wikipedia adults grow to about 85cm (33.5") shoulder height.

Reactions: VegetableStu

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Not quite "today", but over the past week I've gotten my camera out for the first time in ages - mainly as an extra motivation to get out of the house and get some exercise. Not too difficult when autumn is incredibly beautiful right now. I've been feeling a bit better lately too, as the effects of the radiation and chemo are starting to abate, which makes going for longer walks/hikes easier. Also I guess this could be framed as one of the pros of living in Norway - these photos were taken around a small lake literally a 10 minute walk from my house, which is also about 20 minutes from the city centre. Pretty much perfect.

For anyone interested, these were shot on my Pentax K-70, some with the kit 18-135mm lens (which is surprisingly good for a kit lens, particularly with that kind of range), but most with a Sigma 50-200 f4.0-5.6 (that I actually got for about $50).

To set things off: the rowanberry trees are particularly nice looking this time of year.

Got lucky with the lighting on this duck:

Don't quite know what this one was doing (stretching? Yoga?).

There's a golf course nearby. This one I call "Whoops".

Quite nice inside the forest too.

I think these are called Roe Deer in English - rådyr in Norwegian (the letter "Å" is pronounced close to "oh" in English, so the pronunciation of the names is actually quite similar - and now you've learnt some Norwegian today ;) ). They're not uncommon around here (and love eating flowers and plants in people's gardens) but they're quite shy, so I got lucky with them getting close enough for some decent pictures. This was a mother with two fawns. They're quite tiny - according to Wikipedia adults grow to about 85cm (33.5") shoulder height.

Sigma 50-200 for $50? That's a steal.

• Wow
Reactions: VegetableStu

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Sigma 50-200 for $50? That's a steal.
Yeah, think it was on clearance (think the lens launched in 2009 or so). Stumbled across it entirely by accident in a store, and couldn't resist buying it as I didn't have a telephoto lens at the time. Its autofocus motor is rather slow (trying to catch fast-moving subjects is pretty much a no-go), so I really want the Pentax HD DA 55-300 PLM - that would give me another 50% focal length (for 450mm equivalent with an APS-C sensor) and a much, much faster autofocus motor. Better optical quality too. It's not a crazy expensive lens, but considering I don't use my camera that much a $400 lens is still not something I can put that high on my list of priorities. Also, the Sigma is very decent for what I paid.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yeah, think it was on clearance (think the lens launched in 2009 or so). Stumbled across it entirely by accident in a store, and couldn't resist buying it as I didn't have a telephoto lens at the time. Its autofocus motor is rather slow (trying to catch fast-moving subjects is pretty much a no-go), so I really want the Pentax HD DA 55-300 PLM - that would give me another 50% focal length (for 450mm equivalent with an APS-C sensor) and a much, much faster autofocus motor. Better optical quality too. It's not a crazy expensive lens, but considering I don't use my camera that much a $400 lens is still not something I can put that high on my list of priorities. Also, the Sigma is very decent for what I paid.

Hmm true, lenses for fast moving things like sport won't come cheap..