What did you do today?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
finally got one half wired up. except that the amoeba plates aren't working for some reason. miiiight have soldered the wrong points ,_,

gonna need to make a demo of it, but not pictured was a header port i made a late change to in the thinking phase, to debug or cable-out a switch externally. that came to mind when i had to figure out how to extend and bundle many wires without potentially breaking them via cable tension

basically dug out the plastic parts that was in the USB receptacle shell and filed down a HD Audio header shell to squeeze it in. i'll get pictures as soon as i can (latest by when I'm done with it)

pretty frickin proud of how that turned out because it's the first thing i used to check if i made any topology errors on the wires before the amoeba pads. like taipei-101-mid-construction proud

Last edited by a moderator:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Today I...
  • Replaced an outlet cover
  • Got groceries
  • Made deep fried Oreos (my stomach already hurts)
  • Made a list of updates for you all to enjoy
Update on my academics:
  • English (Composition 1): A
  • Engineering (Intro): A
  • Chemistry 1 Lab: A
  • Chemistry 1 Lecture: B
  • Calculus: D
Some of these things are not like the others...

Anything hands on I excelled at, which is great. What happened with the others was disinterest, mostly. Chemistry I would have done much better in if my professor hadn't fudged up the online homework and locked it half of the semester/ gave everything 60 multi-part problems. Actually, that lecture was a hot mess, but the professor was a nice guy. Calculus was actually more my fault. I needed to study more, and it didn't hit me that such a thing was possible for that class until after midterms punched me in the gut. Then I made flashcards. It didn't help that partial credit was capped at like 1 point for 5 point problems. I tried. I also solved a couple problems using geometry and got no credit, but I'd expect that from a professor who taught only using practice problems for 2 hours.

Calculus I will retake, but I'm moving on to Cal 2 in the fall and studying my textbook over the summer. Gotta memorize all the derivatives. Integrals was mostly fine actually, though I'm assured those will reverse in time.

Update on my motorcycle project:
  • Completely disassembled (Waiting on gear puller to get the front drive sprocket off of the layshaft so that put the engine back together).
  • New ignition system waiting for install
  • Still deciding on bars/throttle/levers/new rims
  • Need to get a welder to redo the subframe for a neato cafe racer vibe and fix the angles to satisfy my brain
Update on Radian:
  • Reinstalled Freecad last night
  • Will look at getting it prototyped soon, pending a revision that I will post about
Update on Sputnik:
  • I fixed the wifi module thing so that it can go back on
  • 750ti is dead as a door nob
  • HDPlex unit results in a no boot. I pulled it out of housing, the board looks fine but a wire did come un-soldered. Am confused
  • Going to polish the side panels and re-secure the part of the frame that snapped
  • Debating going to a 1050ti and using a triple rad, removing the hdplex from the housing means I can fit it by the motherboard

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
gonna need to make a demo of it, but not pictured was a header port i made a late change to in the thinking phase, to debug or cable-out a switch externally. that came to mind when i had to figure out how to extend and bundle many wires without potentially breaking them via cable tension

basically dug out the plastic parts that was in the USB receptacle shell and filed down a HD Audio header shell to squeeze it in. i'll get pictures as soon as i can (latest by when I'm done with it)

yeah i was saying

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Watching the Cringe worthy Keynote but--- AMD just dropped a 105w 12 core AM4 CPU with 4.6 boost... Dayum. 3700x 65w tdp 329 bux and 8 cores /16 threads at 3.6 boost . SFF love right there. July 7th. Wallet already weeping.

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm really keen on the possibility that the new RDNA architecture may hold some promise for SFF as Vega was (in my opinion) a hard bust in that respect. In the keynote I believe they said that Navi provides about 1.5x the performance per watt of Vega which is quite a considerable efficiency boost.

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
drove myself to despair today :)
have been waiting for the asrock c621 itx motherboard with s3647 but maybe it is not a great idea to invest into that platform when AMD comes up with such promising CPUs.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Replaced my phone screen for the second time in ... a couple of months, I guess? First time was a minor corner crack from a year or more ago that I managed to turn into an OLED-breaking bend when I got the bright idea to replace the relatively worn battery and pried in the wrong spot. Go me! Then I went ahead and kept my phone in my (too loose) sweatpant pocket as I ran to catch the bus to go to the gym. It made a beautiful backflip out of the pocket, and landed display-down on gravel-covered asphalt. This time it cracked pretty much all over - but at least the OLED kept working this time around, so I could technically keep using it until the replacement panel arrived. The touch sensor failed the same day as the replacement screen arrived, which can only be described as good luck. I've ordered a couple of screen protectors and a more beefy case now :p

For what it's worth, phone repairs are far more nerve-wracking than PC building - mostly because of glue and flex cables with those little snap-in connectors and too tight tolerances for my liking. Still entirely doable, though, at least on a semi-repairable unit like my Oneplus 3T. And as any self-respecting PC builder would, I put a few globs of thermal paste on the RF shields covering the SoC and other hot parts. Messy, but there's definitely noticeably better heat transfer to that part of the back of the phone now.