What did you do today?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
And I'm back. Cold crushed and now back to life and work as it were. More to come.
just had a sore throat. okay now just like you.

it's been snowing over here in middle of nowhere Colorado. didn't go anywhere today. worked on some homework and some sff work. school tomorrow, but load is light.

haven't gotten any chance to play WoT in a week. but.. but I wanna move the Swedish tank line forward.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
watching paint dry (that is to say that I'm running AME to transcode hours and hours of footage from a completed project so that it doesn't take 200GB-- of space), so I rearranged my workspace a bit

which involved going through my laptop to empty it out and finally install W10 and Mojave. cleaning out the windows partition was pretty quick but within expectations (since it's used as a porta editing machine). next day I'll properly empty it out and then start moving mountains

step 2 ,_, would be to figger out the DIY 3D scanning setup. oh yeah that was a thing I delayed waaaaay too long ,_, barely started on finding a working surface for it. would love to get back to working with clay again

and concurrently I'm looking to consistently journal my progress in general via OBS recordings. that's more or less up and running ideally (nonintrusive system-wide hotkeys, yay!)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Does anyone here know how to make Autodesk DWG TrueView behave?

I've been wrestling with it for the past 10 minutes.

It just WON'T do area compute or measure right. I tried a full reinstall, and I know it's not the file....

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Does anyone here know how to make Autodesk DWG TrueView behave?

I've been wrestling with it for the past 10 minutes.

It just WON'T do area compute or measure right. I tried a full reinstall, and I know it's not the file....
f o s s w i n s a g a i n

no, I don't know how, sorry :(

nick_w

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2017
step 2 ,_, would be to figger out the DIY 3D scanning setup. oh yeah that was a thing I delayed waaaaay too long ,_, barely started on finding a working surface for it. would love to get back to working with clay again
cool I look forward to seeing your progress. I'v just started making a 3d scanning turntable,
sofar I have a little oled screen with a basic text interface and an ir led to trigger the camera I'm just waiting on the motor driver board and some other stuff.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Sewed EL wire onto my backpack for geekness/ dat tron feel/ night-time e-scooter/biking safety;

Powered from a USB battery bank. Cheap as chips: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1m-...861.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.375e4c4dXgGdIH

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Today I went through round #2 of my job interview. It went great and I'll go through round #3 on Friday.

I finally have Freecad compiled and running on my old laptop. First compilation crashed after 6h because I ran out of space in /tmp.

Thank you @jØrd for telling that /tmp is a ramdisk by default on Archlinux. Now I can go back to my case design.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
well.

I think I may have discovered F O S S gold. openSCAD workbench in FreeCAD for all of your part designing and open source support(ing?) needs. my mind is blown.

the past few days have been fine. I have a big physics test tomorrow and then an English paper due as well, but I'll probably be fine.

curry made with turkey is good :), which is what I've been eating for the past week or so. turkey is cheap at Costco and potatoes/onions are cheaper. and I still haven't gotten sick of it.

I think I may be installing Manjaro soon because Windows uses tooooo much RAM, hogs all resources, has the weirdest glitches (e.g. showing my home wifi networks as available when at school), and frankly prevents me from learning since I can play games easily on it.

@Soul_Est
are there any specific considerations for ThinkPads (e.g. keyboard layout, driver for hard drive protection system) and what should I generally know about using Linux outside of VMs?

(can't wait to play WoT on Wine lol)

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Today I went through round #2 of my job interview. It went great and I'll go through round #3 on Friday.

I finally have Freecad compiled and running on my old laptop. First compilation crashed after 6h because I ran out of space in /tmp.

Thank you @jØrd for telling that /tmp is a ramdisk by default on Archlinux. Now I can go back to my case design.
Excellent. Looking forward to what you put out.

well.

I think I may have discovered F O S S gold. openSCAD workbench in FreeCAD for all of your part designing and open source support(ing?) needs. my mind is blown.

the past few days have been fine. I have a big physics test tomorrow and then an English paper due as well, but I'll probably be fine.

curry made with turkey is good :), which is what I've been eating for the past week or so. turkey is cheap at Costco and potatoes/onions are cheaper. and I still haven't gotten sick of it.

I think I may be installing Manjaro soon because Windows uses tooooo much RAM, hogs all resources, has the weirdest glitches (e.g. showing my home wifi networks as available when at school), and frankly prevents me from learning since I can play games easily on it.

@Soul_Est
are there any specific considerations for ThinkPads (e.g. keyboard layout, driver for hard drive protection system) and what should I generally know about using Linux outside of VMs?

(can't wait to play WoT on Wine lol)
That is a lot. I have many years of work to look over. First piece of advice is to add
Code:
acpi_osi=Linux
to the kernel commandline so that you can actually use the power management and keyboard. There is a lot more to go over including EFI, performance tuning, and context-based system control. I understand your stance on Windows as well.

Today was crazy. I'll expand on that if any are interested. Pooped right now.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Excellent. Looking forward to what you put out.

That is a lot. I have many years of work to look over. First piece of advice is to add
Code:
acpi_osi=Linux
to the kernel commandline so that you can actually use the power management and keyboard. There is a lot more to go over including EFI, performance tuning, and context-based system control. I understand your stance on Windows as well.

Today was crazy. I'll expand on that if any are interested. Pooped right now.
please elaborate (insert gesticulation)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
please elaborate (insert gesticulation)
Both? Both? Both...

It's a lot. I have to go over my ThinkPad X201 (last one I'll ever own?) and compile a list. (https://www.xkcd.com/303/)

Busy af today at work. Put in an order for a new device for a new hire. Supported several coworkers in various areas of the company. Assured my boss that the device order was submitted. Realized after all of that work that the order was sent to myself instead our dealer. Cue "Oh crap" moment and sent the order to the dealer. Hope it arrives tomorrow. Salvaging seven returned laptops to get at least two working ones (I hope).

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Both? Both? Both...

It's a lot. I have to go over my ThinkPad X201 (last one I'll ever own?) and compile a list. (https://www.xkcd.com/303/)

Busy af today at work. Put in an order for a new device for a new hire. Supported several coworkers in various areas of the company. Assured my boss that the device order was submitted. Realized after all of that work that the order was sent to myself instead our dealer. Cue "Oh crap" moment and sent the order to the dealer. Hope it arrives tomorrow. Salvaging seven returned laptops to get at least two working ones (I hope).
nooo not X201 :(

today I had work also. wasn't as bad, just that the district bought the cheapest DisplayPort to HDMI dongles ever and some teachers were having screen issues. also, the laptops provided are blasphemous to the glorious ThinkPad: they don't even have center clicks on the trackpoint buttons and they're silver (gasps).