What did you do today?

ryandvd

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2017
Done some mods, Friend called me he needs back his dremel before year ends...4 hours of works..
Modded isk 100 to fit pico psu 160xt..will be use in coming ryzen apu..

Paint stripped and cut a hole for incoming vents from josh..Inspired from the new skyreach design..

Then called again and said just bring it on our 1st day of work..lol..

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Spent most of last night tearing down my rig to mod my S4M-C, did some work on that. Also got myself a cast iron skillet and got it all seasoned and everything, very pleased so far :) Need to get my space cleaned up and then I'll take another shot at Radian, second guessing myself on materials really threw me off-track.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Long day at call centre today. Got told my performance metrics. Also made a mistake earlier this week that came back to haunt me. I have started setting out goals for this year and looking at their feasibility. Full Circle is hard to justify. The cheapest build with decent performance is here and the ideal build is here. It is a lot and considering my other goals, a new computer seems rather impractical at this point as I am not using it for work.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Just fwi, your lists are set to private :) but hang in there! It's generally better, IMO, to just keep saving for the better stuff. It's a long term investment and you wind up with less waste when you replace you hardware over the years, because even what you have left over is still useful.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Just fwi, your lists are set to private :) but hang in there! It's generally better, IMO, to just keep saving for the better stuff, it's a long term investment and you wind up with less waste when you replace you hardware over the years, because even what you have left over is still useful.
Thank for letting me know of that @Biowarejak . Changed those to public. I'll keep saving for the parts for Full Circle but it will not be as high a priority.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Long day at call centre today. Got told my performance metrics. Also made a mistake earlier this week that came back to haunt me. I have started setting out goals for this year and looking at their feasibility. Full Circle is hard to justify. The cheapest build with decent performance is here and the ideal build is here. It is a lot and considering my other goals, a new computer seems rather impractical at this point as I am not using it for work.

I think you can save more, example by using lower tier CPU (Say, the Ryzen R3 1200) & the included AMD Wraith Stealth cooler. Or buy pre-owned components. Also, not sure why S4 case is $289.56 ? It should be $199, right?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I think you can save more, example by using lower tier CPU (Say, the Ryzen R3 1200) & the included AMD Wraith Stealth cooler. Or buy pre-owned components. Also, not sure why S4 case is $289.56 ? It should be $199, right?
Price + Shipping * Conversion to CAD. There is still customs to consider after all of that. :(

Shipping? Customs?
The former with the latter coming up when DHL brings it through customs.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Fixed the Mavic (thankfully the motor FFC was undamaged so I didn't have to tear down the gimbal itself) and took it for a quick test-flight. Even on a very windy day I'm surprised how stable it managed to remain without drifting around.
Sorely tempted by the DJI Goggles now...

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Today I had to deal with this at work: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/08/microsofts_spectre_fixer_bricks_some_amd_powered_pcs/
Basically a dozen AMD Athlon X2 PC's today and up to 70 total depending on if Microsoft pulls the update soon. I hope I can finally make a case why we need more personnel so we can stop wasting time plugging holes in the hull and invest more time in building a better ship.
I'm probably going to have to deal with this at my IT job.

At the call centre, I confirmed my regular schedule and had to deal with multiple technical issues (Exchange and IIS).

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Played lots of Skyrim and worked on Radian. I think I can reduce the volume a bit, and I'm also working on other ways to secure the rear panel. The hinges for the side panels have been a bit of a pain to design for, at least for any that aren't $50 a piece from McMaster.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'm guessing you could do better (price-wise and maybe design-wise) with a hinge if you asked somebody like @KSliger. IIRC Cerberus uses a hinged panel, and Sliger manufactures Cerberus. No need to re-invent the hinge...
Not reinventing so much as differentiating. Only thing is that I've got a thin strip where I can mount them :)

Reactions: AleksandarK

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Hmmm ... I work in Exchange.
When things go sideways, Is it really bad?

Today was meh. At the call centre job, got training on new internal messaging system which will cut down on the losses or oops that happened when using email (yes, I know). The new system does not launch yet, however, nor do I know when. Still using email to get results for now. Currently mustering the passion to draw something before bed.