What did you do today?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Managed to pull this one off today. B keyed when you should have M keyed, you're gonna have a bad time.

Damn, I've always wondered why they had the need to make the B and M key so closely matching. Your accident proves why they should have done more.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
You can do it!
And I did.

Usually when things go side ways they are customer induced. Customer network, customer smarthosts, that sort of things.
Quite true.

Today I forgot my computer at home so I did some soft-work at my IT job. At my call centre job, I agreed to come in early tomorrow. I usually work mornings on Thursdays and Fridays at my IT job every other week and evenings on those same days every week at the call centre job. I could have taken that morning off. (Why me?!)

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
I hacked a car. So that was cool lol.

We had a security concern and I decided to work on it with the embedded system guys since I had some time (Now I have no time lol) and we managed to hack into a cars CAN bus and force a firmware update that made the dash cluster freak out when we hit 30 mph lol. It was kind of fun and terrifying at the same time. Don't worry, its fine for me to share this since the info on how to do this is already public knowledge but I wont be going into the details or sharing links lol.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I hacked a car. So that was cool lol.

We had a security concern and I decided to work on it with the embedded system guys since I had some time (Now I have no time lol) and we managed to hack into a cars CAN bus and force a firmware update that made the dash cluster freak out when we hit 30 mph lol. It was kind of fun and terrifying at the same time. Don't worry, its fine for me to share this since the info on how to do this is already public knowledge but I wont be going into the details or sharing links lol.
I have an understanding of what you did :) neat! Sounds like you had a good time overall.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
@ChainedHope, 30 MPH is probably a more readily achievable speed than 88 MPH. I'd love to hack the programming of my car to improve the usability of the information display. So much wasted space and too big font sizes in that interface...

Funny enough we originally set it to 88 mph but it wasnt realistic for us to go to a track to test a system malfunction lol. 30mph however is easily attainable in the closed off parking lot :thumb:

If your car is 2008 and newer you can make your own dash cluster for close to nothing (~$80 if you have none of the hardware) with an arduino/pi/beaglebone/etc, a CAN transciever, a cheap DB9-2-OBD2 cable, and a cheap LCD / tablet. It takes some tinkering and some work with SocketCAN but its doable. Also have the option to shill out a couple hundred for a premade solution (same thing racers use for logging info and displaying it)

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Score one for the gamers! My Microcenter has been a barren wasteland concerning GPUs for a while now.:(

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Had a decent day, today. Frustrating dealing with shipments from the international courier that my employer delivers on behalf of. When the international courier screws up, my colleagues and I are usually on the receiving end at first. That aside, how the information travels between the two companies or within the company is archaic. Cannot wait to start using the new system on Monday. Missed the first bus home and just waited for the next one.

I've decided not to build a new computer until the costs of various components return to the low point in the cycle. Currently saving up now for something. Probably will be a car, not that I can ever justify it with the cost of gas, maintenance, and insurance (despite attending driving school). Still holding out on the Nintendo Switch as the games do cost a bit in physical form (I prefer to collect but that sucks with DLC).

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I released the demons from two "once beige, now yellow" computer peripherals at an office: a monitor seemingly from the start of the consumer LCD monitor era and a 3com Wireless Access Point (54G). And I started ranking up on CoD: WWII because of peer pressure. So a lot of 'nostalgia', the keyword of the day.