What did you do today?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I powered through a coding test for a local trading company. They gave me 3 hours to finish, and I did it in 2. Now I wait.

And now I'm wondering why isn't there an online database for computer parts, would make my PC part app much easier to work on. Hmm, I am thinking about scraping a certain PC parts website now....

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I powered through a coding test for a local trading company. They gave me 3 hours to finish, and I did it in 2. Now I wait.

And now I'm wondering why isn't there an online database for computer parts, would make my PC part app much easier to work on. Hmm, I am thinking about scraping a certain PC parts website now....
You probably could setup a spider, parsers, and scrapers to pull in the information that you need.

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Wouldn't some allow an API to interface with those databases, if there is some way they can still make money off of it ? Like ref-links or subscription fees.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
You probably could setup a spider, parsers, and scrapers to pull in the information that you need.

Spiders, Parsers and Scrapers.. Oh My!

Being more of a 'nuts and bolts' guy.. I love to read all of these posts about programming, software development and so forth but truly understand in a conceptual way only. I like to learn so its all good. One of my buddies from college is a programmer so I get to advise and assist on all his builds because I'm a hardware nerd and he gets to make the hardware do awesome things! Speaking of turning screw drivers I did receive and build my Custom Mod Mini tonight and it turned out great so super pleased there.

Building things, cruising the SFF. A good day for sure.

Cheers all!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I removed a sticker:

Regretably the press-in nuts are visible, although it didn't need to be. The thermal pad is too small (see the markings on the chip) but that isn't a real problem. Some tape on the wide heatsink ribs could solve the aesthetical problem, but mine is covered with GPUs either way.

And applied other sticky things:

2 cards, 16 chips, 32 heatsinks. Thank god for cheap-ass B-grade heatsinks. I saw some checkerboarding in The Division when using DX12, which might or might not be VRAM temperature or voltage related issues. Both cards are Elpida which I believe didn't suffer from the latter problem in the R9 290-series.

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
To me, your board definitely looks better without the sticker. Also the exposed press in bolts add a bit of industrial ruggedness rather than detract aesthetically speaking. My 2cents.

Nice pics too and on that note any recommendations on a decent Digital SLR to start with? I really need a proper camera to get away from cell phone photography...

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
For questions on cameras, we have an excellent Photography thread. I use a Sony a6000 camera, mainly because I'm not a professional in need of a D-SLR sized camera. With the kit lens it's easy on the go in a jacket pocket and can still produce excellent photos. The above pictures I took with a 60mm lens but I also often use a macro lens for product photos. It depends what interests you most in photography though.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I have no idea how I missed the photography thread! I will check it out. Mainly I just want to have an actual camera so something decent and portable would be ideal.

Thanks!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm picking up a freelance job from an old employer that I should learn more about tomorrow. Can't wait to start putting more freelance experience for web dev, maybe I can get the ball rolling this time!

For questions on cameras, we have an excellent Photography thread. I use a Sony a6000 camera, mainly because I'm not a professional in need of a D-SLR sized camera. With the kit lens it's easy on the go in a jacket pocket and can still produce excellent photos. The above pictures I took with a 60mm lens but I also often use a macro lens for product photos. It depends what interests you most in photography though.

I have a Sony a100 so I guess your camera is 60x better than mine :p I mainly got it to shoot PC pictures. I'm pretty budget with my stuff as well. All I need is white posterboard and a LED bulb for small product shots, with a GorillaPod SLR Zoom. I really like how versatile the GorillaPod is.

Reactions: VegetableStu

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
@VegetableStu, using Maya? I think you are manually extruding/creating polygons from spline paths if I'm not mistaken. Looks like you'll need to clean up some of the topology afterwards. There's a lot of quads that should be merged for the straighter surfaces :D

Reactions: Soul_Est

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
What is that? it doesn´t seem a new case, more like... "modular patterns"? idk XD

it's-a LGA 2011 ILM piece. I'm doing up the v3 version; there's a small difference betweel v0 and v3 at the hook areas, although it's not a drastic difference than the asus X-socket II in general.

I think you are manually extruding/creating polygons from spline paths if I'm not mistaken. Looks like you'll need to clean up some of the topology afterwards. There's a lot of quads that should be merged for the straighter surfaces :D

Yeah I'm modelling from splines at this stage. I'm trying my best to keep the largest pole-count low now (in terms of how many edges to one vertex); probably the pass after that would relax on that (the many-pole cylindrical topology thing, but even that is frowned upon), and halve the edge count on all curves along with removing the inline edges. By then it'd be a LOD0 model, and a lopoly one would probably be a LOAD simpler.

I'm still figuring out the last bit of this piece. (Look for the hole.) There's the two retention arm clips left that's as curvy as this one /shudder
The high polycount on this piece I'm looking to keep it as a 3D-printable solid model, although I have no way of testing how well would it print in the end.

on a side note, I just realised I'm user 666 O_O

EDIT: forgot to mention how much of a bitch it was to figure out how to model out that bend in a break relief.

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Fitted the power relay and dual-DVR, reconnected the grips to the relay rather than the battery (no more standby drain!). Might need to find a new place for the recorder unit, it;s too close to the reg/rec which gets pretty hot. Will need to play about with the GPS receiver too to make sure it gets good reception. Also replaced the oil and topped up the (crusty old) coolant.
(Don't worry, I know the crimp sleeves still need to be heat-shrunk)
Next on the list is fitting the Scottoiler, and giving the coolant a proper flush and replacement. Sadly with the OMC now closed, I'm limited to work I can do on the pavement next to the front garden rather than having a real garage to work in.