SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
For a tablet I would have recommended either:
and either:
  • Write for Android
  • A Wacom stylus support app for iOS
  • Xournal, Inkscape, etc. for Linux

I will definitely take a look into these combos for a digital notepad. It'll save me huge hassles on paper and notebooks.

I'm also looking into the Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 8" version as a budget option. It's about $170 on Amazon and it has this fancy any-pen tech. I've seen some demos using a normal ball-point pen (with the inking part retracted) and graphite pencils on the screen. How this would feel and how useable it is I have no idea, but it's a huge selling point for me and something I really want to try out.

But god damn I want to save up for computer components not school extras >.<

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
This is (I don't want to name them in this forum) currently the cheapest foundry available at this process node. Moving to a different foundry would cost more $/wafer and the gross margin of this device would take a hit (our marketing team won't be happy with that). Therefore we're redesigning the analog and system resources section that could delay the project for 9 weeks.
That just sucks.

Spent the past few days with my family at the in-law's home. Just before we left on Saturday morning, the wife and I scrambled to find the spare set of keys to the SUV to no avail. The minute we arrive home, my wife announces that they were with us the whole time in our pool tote bag. Now we can enjoy the last of the kettle corn (think sweet popcorn) tonight without having to tear the house apart searching for the keys. I hope that everyone here in USA/Canada enjoyed their long holiday weekend.
The weekend was meh for me.

I work in a restaurant at the moment.
Holidays can die in a fire.
Having worked in a restaurant and in retail, I agree wholeheartedly.

I will definitely take a look into these combos for a digital notepad. It'll save me huge hassles on paper and notebooks.

I'm also looking into the Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 8" version as a budget option. It's about $170 on Amazon and it has this fancy any-pen tech. I've seen some demos using a normal ball-point pen (with the inking part retracted) and graphite pencils on the screen. How this would feel and how useable it is I have no idea, but it's a huge selling point for me and something I really want to try out.

But god damn I want to save up for computer components not school extras >.<
I hear you on that. Those extras are unfortunate necessities.

Nice, I've only been semi-successful in playing the beta of Battlefield 1 since my internet's been flaky the last week or so.

But that's probably for the better, I almost finished up the writing for the Lian Li PE-550 review today.
Looking forward to reading that review.

Today, I searched for work, read Bounce!, and worked a bit more on RSC. I will update that later.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Man, you guys and your 4G speeds. I currently need to have my phone used as a Wi-Fi hotspot for my home PC, and I'm on a budget plan where the speeds throttle down to 128k after 1GB of data use which isn't much. Makes me feel like I'm in the year 2000 again. Some sites are bloated with scripts slowing them down to a crawl. This forum is actually one of the faster ones. Hey, it's SFF when it comes to bandwidth, too.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This forum is actually one of the faster ones. Hey, it's SFF when it comes to bandwidth, too.

My home internet is a blazing 576kb/s, and that's on a good day. So I make sure our sites don't require gobs of bandwidth like some others out there *cough* The Verge *cough*.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Man, you guys and your 4G speeds. I currently need to have my phone used as a Wi-Fi hotspot for my home PC, and I'm on a budget plan where the speeds throttle down to 128k after 1GB of data use which isn't much. Makes me feel like I'm in the year 2000 again. Some sites are bloated with scripts slowing them down to a crawl. This forum is actually one of the faster ones. Hey, it's SFF when it comes to bandwidth, too.
Consider using a browser (I think Opera might do this) that can use cached images and pre-render pages on their server before sending a smaller (data-wise) image to your PC. Oh, and use an adblocker - I've had very good results with uBlock Origin.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My home internet is a blazing 576kb/s, and that's on a good day. So I make sure our sites don't require gobs of bandwidth like some others out there *cough* The Verge *cough*.
And then I come along with PNG images atleast 1500x1000 resolution, swallowing up your bandwidths. The nerve ! Sorry :D

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well, it depends on what you're using PNGs for. For photographs it results in overly large filesizes but for things like the screenshots from the CAD program for my STX160.0 build log PNG works extremely well since there are large blocks of the same color.

Some of those screenshots are less than 10kb

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Indeed, PNG is excellent for simple and flat images due to the lossless compression. I personally prefer it because it's an open format, it's quality is guaranteed, it supports alpha channel (!), it doesn't include meta-data that I consider privacy-sensitive and it just works everywhere. For me it's the complete replacement of JPG due to the lossy nature of that format.

And since I live in Europe, it's 19:00 and the Apple Keynote is on in 10 minutes @ www.apple.com, viewable through Microsoft Edge or any Apple device from the last decade. I'm still waiting for Tim Cook to do a "one more thing" that people really didn't see coming. Got to love when Apple announced revolutionary hardware without any indication it was going to drop a bomb like the iPhone or iPod.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Got to love when Apple announced revolutionary hardware without any indication it was going to drop a bomb like the iPhone or iPod.

Yeah, Apple has been the victim of their own success and can't really do anything in hardware without leaks from their long supply chain sprouting up all over the place.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
They even had their own Twitter account leak the iPhone 7 before it was shown.

BTW: Mario on iOS, BOOM !

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Indeed, PNG is excellent for simple and flat images due to the lossless compression. I personally prefer it because it's an open format, it's quality is guaranteed, it supports alpha channel (!), it doesn't include meta-data that I consider privacy-sensitive and it just works everywhere. For me it's the complete replacement of JPG due to the lossy nature of that format.

And since I live in Europe, it's 19:00 and the Apple Keynote is on in 10 minutes @ www.apple.com, viewable through Microsoft Edge or any Apple device from the last decade. I'm still waiting for Tim Cook to do a "one more thing" that people really didn't see coming. Got to love when Apple announced revolutionary hardware without any indication it was going to drop a bomb like the iPhone or iPod.
Got to love when Apple touts HTML5 for content delivery and then goes with their proprietary protocol, shutting out much of their users, which use Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Vivaldi, etc.

So far today, I have followed up on my only positive job prospect so far, looked over these eGPU enclosures:
and got back into drawing and design:

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I bought a laptop for my friend (using their money) and I am now running it through its paces.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I've not been around a lot lately due to other projects and summer activities. A lot of the Losias guys are aware that I've got a thing for Jeeps. Well, I'm about to wrap up a modified Superlift install. The front is under it's own weight at the moment, and I'm trying to finish up the rear. I should hopefully get it driveable this weekend. That's assuming the driveshafts don't protest too much. It's currently just over 7" lift in the front, and should be about the same in the back. Once done, it will fit up to 37" tires without much issue. Obviously gas mileage isn't a concern any longer...

Although it was already lifted, a trip to Moab Utah in June really set off the desire for even more lift. The trails out there are world class. The below was taken on Hell's Revenge. It's truly amazing what a properly equipped Jeep is capable of driving over and up. There were more than just a few 'oh sh!t' moments.