What did you do today?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Tonight, as the children shiver with fright (or cold), a young stranger sits by the candlelight (as we are told). He thinks, he writes, he blinks a few times, and now he ends up a corpse!

Seriously though, with the amount of studying I've been doing, I think I might die. Children come by today for Halloween. I might give a few potatoes for carbohydrates.

Reactions: owliwar

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Well I took some time away from here to focus on school. Not sure if it's really had an impact, mostly spent the spare time doing stuff other than studying :p Making my way back through a dozen or so notifications now. Hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Well I took some time away from here to focus on school. Not sure if it's really had an impact, mostly spent the spare time doing stuff other than studying :p Making my way back through a dozen or so notifications now. Hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween
I yelled at a pillow instead of kids. My landlord was confused.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Today was a very fun day at work. Very fun.

So I work at a high school doing IT. One of the English teachers was having a few computers with her computer, so I walk into her room and try to help her. Then this kid walks in (who seemed to be moderately "popular"), plops his binder down, stares at his audience, and says "I need to contemplate my life decisions". His audience ask him "what do you need to question?". He replies "Should I get an iPhone X or XS?"

a a a a a a a h h h h

(and he had like an iPhone 7)

Oh, and I'm now a king of cable management. Spewing my cancerous thoughts across the internet has perks, I guess.

(lol my cable management strat is to route a few cables, shove the rest into either an unused drive bay or power supply shroud, close the side panel and call it a day)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Just replaced the default earpad (pleather) on my ATH-M40x with velvet/velour.

It's way more comfortable & gives more soundstage, but noise isolation (both inward & outward) is impacted badly. It's almost like an open-back can now.

Granted, it's an el-cheapo Taobao velour pad (for trial purpose).. Now considering to get a hybrid one.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I was playing Destiny 2 since it was free, encountered a thermal shutdown the first time because I had my dual 50mm fans spinning very slowly. Understandable. Got it up and running with fans full blast to keep the loop from building pressure, and let it cool. Later, like last night, I had fans fully on and got to playing. The session lasted much longer and I must say it was a very smooth experience at 1440p, even though the frame rate was in the 40s-50s.

Unfortunately this time it was cut short by another shut down, a bad smell, and twitching fans. Swapping the fans to another header resolved the twitching, but attempts to boot resulted in no output. Fast forward to 10 minutes ago, having swapped power supplies just in case, and I got output on the motherboard IO.

Looks like my 750ti has died. Or maybe my riser ribbon got fried? It's possible a short did occur since the HD Plex 160 is sitting on a couple of cables. No way to tell until I tear it apart.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I have a cold. Fighting back hard though. Still going to work with only 7 days until I one-year anniversary at my primary job.

I am still contemplating whether I need Full Circle in its current iteration as I am still having power management issues. Whether I am running Arch Linux or Ubuntu, I'm still having issues with the no display over DisplayPort when waking from sleep. This is same under 4.15 through 4.19 versions of the Linux kernel. Add in reboots when the GPU is under load when running 4.18+ version of the Linux kernel + the open-source AMDGPU driver, and I feel like I do not deserve the machine. I have been able to play Breath Of The Wild over the weekend, draw in Krita, and model in Blender though so there's my conflict.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I have a cold. Fighting back hard though. Still going to work with only 7 days until I one-year anniversary at my primary job.

I am still contemplating whether I need Full Circle in its current iteration as I am still having power management issues. Whether I am running Arch Linux or Ubuntu, I'm still having issues with the no display over DisplayPort when waking from sleep. This is same under 4.15 through 4.19 versions of the Linux kernel. Add in reboots when the GPU is under load when running 4.18+ version of the Linux kernel + the open-source AMDGPU driver, and I feel like I do not deserve the machine. I have been able to play Breath Of The Wild over the weekend, draw in Krita, and model in Blender though so there's my conflict.
Recover well, comrade! ;)

I'll put together a massive load of what I did later today (forum posting at school is frowned upon)

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Over the weekend I went to this free museums thing in Denver with some friends. I think I gained infinite Slav Squat powers while waiting for the bus. There was some interesting art and I think my intellect increased by a few hundred points. (nowhere near confusis levels, though).

Sunday was a slog. Did physics homework. Because science. One of the problems went from parts a to z.

I think I failed a math test I took last Thursday. Highest I could absolutely get is an 87, assuming that I did everything properly (which I didn't). Probably will get a 64 or something.

I've had no time to play World of Tanks, unsurprisingly. Sadly, this means that my drifting adventures in the MT25 are now gone (no more Halloween event where everyone got to drive an MT25).

I probably need to get a better bed, considering that I use a narrow unit that isn't enough to roll in and so I usually roll off in the middle of the night into a stream of Russian curses. Might do that once I find an actually decent job.

Work is on Wednesday and Friday this week. yaaaay (silently praying for sickness)

@Biowarejak
I just realized, I'm ahead of you in college and somehow joined this place late. y a a a y!

@Soul_Est What's your address? I'll send you a mole of pure capsaicin(measured in grams) and infinite boiling kvass (comes with self-building pipeline to babushkas in Russia) to get you through this difficult time. Take the capsaicin with the kvass, 2 milligrams to every 5 liters. Don't add more than 2mg, otherwise you'll kinda burn. Listen to hardbass while mixing this miracle and take pickle juice with it. You'll be back on the Eastern front in no time.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Wish you fast recovery man!

Are your heels on the ground tho? If yes, than you have truly mastered slav sqaut;)

Heels on ground, comrade found. Heels in sky, Western spy.

It is proper slav implementation for maximum cheeki breeki performance.

Many people at my school are Western spies. Heels in sky, seemingly like the capitalist anti-aircraft guns. One Asian dad did do it properly while waiting for child to tie shoes, however.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
It is time to overfill the description of my posting outlined in my, erm, description, and spread quality over the internet once again.

I decided that the current "e-lab" logo looks like crap and designed a new one today. If anyone wants to design a logo (@Soul_Est Something to keep you busy ;)), it'll probably be better than mine and probably be a better thing in general.

Started learning Qt for fun despite no C++ experience. This will go badly and will destroy things.

Tomorrow is work. What fun.

I am extra drained because of homework, which is hitting me over the head with the equivalent of a very densely-populated server rack (or an Alienware XD).

By the way, for all Gentoo and ThinkPad users out there, I have found gold:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/ThinkPad
The first line is cheeki breeki-er than driving to vodka sale in T-34 with babushka's Lada as trailer (while pumping hardbass out of massive subwoofers).

Zen2 launch was cool. Perhaps we can get a 2x Vega 64 card??? (with 7nm's power improvements, that would basically be one normal Vega 64 card currently)