What did you do today?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Sep 26, 2018

I begun the work day with collecting adherent mammalian cell samples, which I had transfected 24 h prior, from their cell plates. In order to analyze both the detached cells and adhered cells I had to collect two sets of samples. This resulted in a total of 12 samples. The transfection efficiancy was then analyzed of the samples with the help of a flow cytometer. While the flow cytometer did its thing, I counted the concentration of cells in those samples.

This was a process that took from 10 a.m. to 13:10 p.m.

After that I had lunch from 13:10 to 13:30.

Then I started preparing for the next experiment; collecting cell samples from a cell suspension culture, in order to investigate the doubling time of the cells. This only took a short time, from 13:45 - 14:00. This meant I had 50 minutes of "spare time" before the next timed experiment.

So I proceeded to just take care of 4 other suspension cultures, which needed a change of culture media. I also investigated the health and confluency of 3 cell plates, and noticed I had to split them as well, due to too high confluency. But due to the next experiment starting at 14:50, I only had time to take care of the suspension cells.

14:50, I begun mapping the doubling time of 2 other cell lines, now on cell plates, instead of suspension cells as previously performed above. This was finished by 15:30, work including collection of 12 samples, that had to be counted in order to determine the concentration.

Then I had to take a break from it all between 15:30 to 16:45. At 16:50 I was back in the cell labb, splitting those three cell plates, I didn't have time to treat earlier. 17:20, I was done for the day, and just had to write down all the results, observations and other notes from that day.

Similar work had been performed the two previous days. The assay about doubling time will continue until Friday, so my afternoons will be identical. However, no morning work for Thursday and Friday.

After work, I just relaxed with dinner, a long shower, watched one episode of "Person of Interest" and then immersed myself into the story of "Knights of the Old Republic". Then I went to bed.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Sep 26, 2018

I begun the work day with collecting adherent mammalian cell samples, which I had transfected 24 h prior, from their cell plates. In order to analyze both the detached cells and adhered cells I had to collect two sets of samples. This resulted in a total of 12 samples. The transfection efficiancy was then analyzed of the samples with the help of a flow cytometer. While the flow cytometer did its thing, I counted the concentration of cells in those samples.

This was a process that took from 10 a.m. to 13:10 p.m.

After that I had lunch from 13:10 to 13:30.

Then I started preparing for the next experiment; collecting cell samples from a cell suspension culture, in order to investigate the doubling time of the cells. This only took a short time, from 13:45 - 14:00. This meant I had 50 minutes of "spare time" before the next timed experiment.

So I proceeded to just take care of 4 other suspension cultures, which needed a change of culture media. I also investigated the health and confluency of 3 cell plates, and noticed I had to split them as well, due to too high confluency. But due to the next experiment starting at 14:50, I only had time to take care of the suspension cells.

14:50, I begun mapping the doubling time of 2 other cell lines, now on cell plates, instead of suspension cells as previously performed above. This was finished by 15:30, work including collection of 12 samples, that had to be counted in order to determine the concentration.

Then I had to take a break from it all between 15:30 to 16:45. At 16:50 I was back in the cell labb, splitting those three cell plates, I didn't have time to treat earlier. 17:20, I was done for the day, and just had to write down all the results, observations and other notes from that day.

Similar work had been performed the two previous days. The assay about doubling time will continue until Friday, so my afternoons will be identical. However, no morning work for Thursday and Friday.

After work, I just relaxed with dinner, a long shower, watched one episode of "Person of Interest" and then immersed myself into the story of "Knights of the Old Republic". Then I went to bed.
Science rules.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Started listening to hardbass to stave off late-night homework-fueled depression. It puts hair on your chest and ringing in your ears.

(it builds character)

Also, today I obtained this wonderful product:

from my mom's obsessive Kohl's shopping.

That is one SFF mouse.

I'll use the keypad for crazy macros.

Tomorrow's Friday, so yaaaay! I get to finish Kirby's Adventure then! and then fall into depression since ive somehow been attaching to the game

(I've been stuck on the Nightmare Orb for soooooooooooo long. If someone has an emulator.online SAVE file they can give me, I would be very very happy.)

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Started listening to hardbass to stave off late-night homework-fueled depression. It puts hair on your chest and ringing in your ears.

(it builds character)

Also, today I obtained this wonderful product:

from my mom's obsessive Kohl's shopping.

That is one SFF mouse.

I'll use the keypad for crazy macros.

Tomorrow's Friday, so yaaaay! I get to finish Kirby's Adventure then! and then fall into depression since ive somehow been attaching to the game

(I've been stuck on the Nightmare Orb for soooooooooooo long. If someone has an emulator.online SAVE file they can give me, I would be very very happy.)
Well, review period for mouse and keypad is over. The mouse doesn't work but at least it has center click, and the keypad is already malfunctioning. Not to mention the mushy keystrokes on the keypad.

(Cue Eye of Tiger and angle grinder sounds)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Continued pulling wallpaper down in my "gaming" room. There's a layer of other wallpaper behind the wallpaper I've been taking down and I don't want to deal with it but I have to deal with it.

Reactions: Mortis Angelus

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hey everyone,
its been a while x)
I've been in the longest moving process, almost a month on handling the keys of old place and moving to where I'm now and today I finished unpacking. I'm living with my partner and brother in the house I grew up. this house was in really bad shape so there were a lot of work to do in the last weeks. I got a decent sff bedroom, and I'm making the most of it now

I'm really proud of how this turned out and to be 100% satisfied I'll just need 2 eames chairs and a gray rug.

happy to be back

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017

What keyboard is that ? I looks like a Dell RT7D50 keyboard but mechanical :eek:
oh! its very similar, yes. its a mechanical feeling keyboard, but its fairly decent. I got it very cheap a few years ago, looks like its a chinese rebrand with pt-br layout
its around 15usd on aliexpress. cheap and confortable

and it can do purple, I dig that a lot.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
A bit of good news, I got my PC to boot again! Look at the rats nest! Fan Spin!

I picked up a Corsair SF450 and was able to get my system running again. But I hit a few snags.
  • The right-angle power cable that the Node 202 ships with isn't carrying power to the PSU. It's outright dead.
  • The cables that Corsair ships with the SF450 are suuuuper stiff and I can't get them to comfortably fit with the cover assembled. I feel like if I press down any harder on even the 24-pin cable I'd either damage the cables or tear off the connector from the motherboard. Maybe I'm not good with cable management.
  • The Zotac 1070 ti mini I have is exhibiting a high pitched noise (coil whine maybe?) while doing some gaming. In Destiny 2 and Overwatch, the GPU emits the high pitched noise unless I framecap the games down to 60 FPS. At 65-75FPS, it's bearable and not audible with headphones on, but it's absolutely noticeable at 75FPS and without a framecap and hitting 330FPS in D2 I was getting a bit worried. (Edit: after more testing, I get an average of 130FPS at high-highest settings, but the coil whine is still there)
  • The Zotac 1070 Ti mini is also giving me trouble with being overheight; it's interfering with one of the chassis screws, so I had to remove the screw
After managing to make it into playing some games, I'm beginning to think the 1070 Ti is a bit overkill. I still have a week or so to return the 1070 Ti and then I could grab a 1070 or something.

I might return the SF450 too. I'm still keen on getting a HDPLEX 400W DC-DC or a KMPKT Dynamo 360. I know the Node 202 is designed for a SFX PSU, but after having an actual HDPLEX 400W fitting in an older post of mine it's just no comparison on how easy it is to wire everything up. Besides, the right angle power cable is dead.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Alright, anyone know any stereotypical ThinkPad user music that isn't a e s t h e t i c or vaporware? I'm getting bored listening to disco, hardbass, electro, 8-bit, memes, and the occasional Floppotron.

On the other hand, it's been freaking cold out here in Middle of Nowhere Colorado (lol im still in one of the major cities tho). I think I've become numb due to the cold to what I want/need to do. For example, I haven't worked on one of my Python projects in such a FREAKING LONG time (a week!). Oh well.

Had two bowls of self-made pho for dinner today. I feel much less depressed than I usually am right now. Now off to get a DANK bspwm/polybar/manjaro config and an EVEN DANKER terminal app set (as in mod the hell outta Vim and install terminal everything)

(in virtual machine, of course, since I NEED OVERWATCH (which I played with my cousin yesterday))

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

left with the final cherries

PS: what I learned:
  • OUTLINE AND PLAN so that EVERYTHING GOES QUICKER AND LOOKS MORE STRUCTURED. LEARN TO LOVE YOURSELF DUDE
  • Sequence Options > Show Audio Time Units.
    for when you need to cut clips out of frame-time width (i.e. when there's audio something between two frames to cut)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Day four of the worst cold I've had in years. Still managed to work 6 hours at my physically demanding day job (managed 7 and 6 hours on Mon and Tues respectively). Feels like I gargled concrete and glass.

Also, managed to write an editorial, and continue work on reviews.

I'll rest when I'm dead, I guess..

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Tiss the season of the spooky ;)
bwhahahahaha haha ha ha! (to the tune of deck the halls)

I think math homework may actually be mentally affecting me...

Also, I basically destroyed parts of my Manjaro VM yesterday and today... uninstalling i3 fixed it, but I WANT A TILING WINDOW MANAGER TO COMPLEMENT THE DANKNESS OF i3, VIMRC, LATEX ON VIM, NERDTREE, AND ALL THE OTHER CRAP I WANNA DO! IS THAT TOO MUCH???

@Soul_Est
Any idea on how to install i3 without breaking Manjaro? The Arch wiki says that you need to not install i3-WM and then it says to install i3-WM (at least on the page I found on Manjaro that I can't find on Windows)...

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
Had a talk with the chief architect at our company about how a communications framework we use is supposed to be working, since we noticed some odd behavior in our application. When doing “proxy” connections via an intermediate device, we have a user who is losing the proxy connection sometimes. Sounds like it may be a framework bug, but it may just as likely be a particular sort of unrecoverable error happening with this user’s network. Thankfully, there are things we can do in our app to mitigate the issue, regardless of why it’s happening.

I also realized that between travel, eating on the clock, and actually recruiting at a career fair, I’ll likely be “working” 12.5 hours on Thursday, and since I’m already up on hours for the week and am generally not allowed to work overtime, I’ll be leaving work by about 11:30 on Friday. So that’s fun.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
First thing today, I had an appointment at the masseuse. I have some issues with a tendon in my left arm that is bothering me and that needed some check-up and treatment.

Then I went for work; unlike my last post above, the day has been extremely chill. Mostly paper work, meetings and coffee breaks, with some minor actual wet lab work. So nice for a change!

After work I went off to get our new family member:

This will become a learning project soon for some case mods, but mostly a project to learn how to paint. Then again, I really love the gun-metal gray of this case. I have been thinking of painting this in an XCOM-inspired fashion. But it is not totally decided yet.

If anyone knows any good case painting tutorials for noobs, feel free to share (either here or via PM).