What did you do today?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Not today, but over the weekend, I finished up my new Alpine Halo9 custom install. The stereo is designed to 'float' in front of your dash, but I thought flush mount looked better. Some bezel cutting, reworking, and 3D printing and I was left with the following. I also went to a Jeep show over the weekend and got 1st place in the Grand Cherokee category. 4th time going, and 4 trophies. :)

Big post, Big Car

Reactions: Biowarejak

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Today was meh. Robotics club hosting was OK, block programming kid was there again. I'm bored. Tried to practice drawing people, failed again. Oh well.

I might start work on writing a custom licence (non-legally binding probably) for cases that's based off of GNU. I have a project coming up that I want to use this on...

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018

lolololol (from techpowerup)

PROTEIN

Math homework is a pain... One problem took up a page front and back today because there were parts a through n.

Also, I probably need to repaste my computer. Since the wonderful engineers of the E485 decided to exhaust air into the tight gap between screen and chassis, things are abnormally hot there, especially because of my "performance" power mode for everything when on charger. Couple that with (probably) terrible paste, and here you are.

I've decided to start OpenGL programming for kicks. I WANT TO MAKE MY OWN CAD IS THAT GOOD ENOUGH

A lot is on my plate for programming... The high school I work at decided to hand over the school website to me, and since a lot of things are broken, I need to learn Rails, HTML, and CSS to assist the high schoolers working on it. Then, I'm learning C++ voluntarily (for Windows app development) and because I wanna do CAD, I need to learn OpenGL, AND I'm using Python in school because scientific computing so yaay.

PROTEIN (neither of these are accidental)

Kdrs0122

Caliper Novice
Aug 28, 2018
I hated having to get up to turn my htpc on so I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQUANS8/?tag=theminutiae-20

I was already using this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BX0YKX4/?tag=theminutiae-20

So I thought why not try and combine the two...

It was actually super easy. Just opened them both up, took the pcb out of the little remote and stuck it to the bigger one with a little thermal tape, and cut out a hole for the power button. It doesnt quite fit together perfectly; gaps on the side cutouts for buttons misaligned, etc., but I think I can fix most of that.

This was a rushed, very rough version done purely out of boredom so I ordered replacements to make a better one. The next iteration will be a lot neater and have cutouts for the rest button and LED hole as well.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
IT'S THE 21st NIGHT OF SEPTEMBER WHERE I AM SO DO Y'ALL KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?

IT'S DISCO TIME!!!!!

im sorry for the meming

YAAAY!

Today was OK, I guess. I have a bunch of homework that I probably should be doing right now, but oh well. It's one of those thoroughly unmotivated days.

P.S. Given the hints I've dropped about myself, try to generate a description of me. I'll get a good laugh out of how potentially inaccurate they may be. (Hint: I like trains ;))

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
@Soul_Est

How has life been treating you?

My life is fine. Today I decided to wake up at 10 (why the hell not), get some breakunch (breakfast and lunch, not brunch since I'm poor), and sit in front of a computer programming.

Python workflow:

Write a bunch of code
Run it only to get 20 errors
Fix those errors
Get more errors because of Ctrl+H
Fix those errors
Get slightly fewer errors
Run again
A few errors now
Fix those errors
Works!
Repeat until you've reached 4 hours of time and you've been slamming the table non-stop in frustration.

Although I do have mango nectar and mooncakes (bean paste and nut/ham, made by mom) so it's fine.

@tinyitx
Looking forward to mid-autumn festival?

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
so, i just got the most anticlimatic and exciting email from my university:

"you have completed you bachelor: congratiulations"

..... so i'm now a certified industrial designer/product developer i guess?

but still 2 years to go to become a senior product developer, so i begin my first day of my master years tomorrow, wish me luck!:)

And as a little present to myself i'll be upgrading my workstation to a threadripper 1950x and a 1080ti.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
  • OBS/programs-in-general(?) interpret Shift+F1 as-is instead of F13
  • looks into QMK and F13-F21 keys
  • finds them
  • and macros
  • and unicode input
  • oh my god
  • the possibilities
  • *fades away*
so today I flashed a 6-keypad with F13 to F18

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
No more traditional lotus seed or red bean paste mooncakes for me for years. Too sweet.
I now have modern variants, ie snowy moon cake. The skin is made of glutinous rice and the stuffing is usually mango or blueberry or pomelo favour paste or ice cream.
Nice profile photo! Custom or photoshop?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017

but still 2 years to go to become a senior product developer, so i begin my first day of my master years tomorrow, wish me luck!:)

And as a little present to myself i'll be upgrading my workstation to a threadripper 1950x and a 1080ti.
Well still, congrats on the milestone!

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I took it from the webpage of a moon cake shop.
The Snoopy obsession in China is real, isn't it?

Also, I presume you're a child of the '80s, so I do understand your views on mooncake sweetness. This is what happens with mass production.

Although.... my mom added.... HAM??? to our mooncakes. :p

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The Snoopy obsession in China is real, isn't it?

Also, I presume you're a child of the '80s, so I do understand your views on mooncake sweetness. This is what happens with mass production.

Although.... my mom added.... HAM??? to our mooncakes. :p

No, Snoopy is not really big in China. It is just one of my wife's favourite characters back in the old old days (or years, rather).
Child of '80s? me? No way, you are off by decades...lol Sounds like my kids' era...lol

Does your mom put 'secret message' inside a mooncake for you to 'discover'?

Reactions: el01 and Biowarejak

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
No, Snoopy is not really big in China. It is just one of my wife's favourite characters back in the old old days (or years, rather).
Child of '80s? me? No way, you are off by decades...lol Sounds like my kids' era...lol

Does your mom put 'secret message' inside a mooncake for you to 'discover'?
Yes: I need to eat less. ;)

I'm pretty sure snoopy has a reasonable presence among kids' stationery...

Might be my low brain cell count, though.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
@Soul_Est

How has life been treating you?

My life is fine. Today I decided to wake up at 10 (why the hell not), get some breakunch (breakfast and lunch, not brunch since I'm poor), and sit in front of a computer programming.

Python workflow:

Write a bunch of code
Run it only to get 20 errors
Fix those errors
Get more errors because of Ctrl+H
Fix those errors
Get slightly fewer errors
Run again
A few errors now
Fix those errors
Works!
Repeat until you've reached 4 hours of time and you've been slamming the table non-stop in frustration.

Although I do have mango nectar and mooncakes (bean paste and nut/ham, made by mom) so it's fine.

@tinyitx
Looking forward to mid-autumn festival?
Life has been busy. Working two jobs while finding time for friends or relaxing is not simple.

Congratulations and I look forward to opening the thread about your present!

• OBS/programs-in-general(?) interpret Shift+F1 as-is instead of F13
  • looks into QMK and F13-F21 keys
  • finds them
  • and macros
  • and unicode input
  • oh my god
  • the possibilities
  • *fades away*
so today I flashed a 6-keypad with F13 to F18
Yeah, QMK is a digital rabbit-hole.

Today was busy at work. Computers and phones needing replacing. Coordinating all that along with handling calls, emails, and deskside duties took its toll. Afterwards, I sat in on a meeting between two of my friends, a real estate agent, and future landlords to negotiate a lease. My friends got the lease and everyone learned something new. I also updated my boss at my other job about what I have been working on as of late for them. Got to get my programming chops going so that my Full Circle can start stretching its computational might on these tasks. Now to get ready for tomorrow. No time I tell you.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Life has been busy. Working two jobs while finding time for friends or relaxing is not simple.

Congratulations and I look forward to opening the thread about your present!

Yeah, QMK is a digital rabbit-hole.

Today was busy at work. Computers and phones needing replacing. Coordinating all that along with handling calls, emails, and deskside duties took its toll. Afterwards, I sat in on a meeting between two of my friends, a real estate agent, and future landlords to negotiate a lease. My friends got the lease and everyone learned something new. I also updated my boss at my other job about what I have been working on as of late for them. Got to get my programming chops going so that my Full Circle can start stretching its computational might on these tasks. Now to get ready for tomorrow. No time I tell you.
OOOOOF.

Some kid today decided it would be a very good idea to smash a stone from outside THROUGH one of the library's Chromeboxes in the school I work at, so the heatsink is now a congealed piece of metal, the motherboard has a hole in one of the parts, and the housing is dead. And I'm expected to "repair" it. Fun. We'll most likely call the district and ask for a replacement.

Also, one of the history teachers has a laptop with many issues, including:
  • Dead Wifi antennas (some of the time)
  • Dead displayport (some of the time)
  • Failed startups (a lot of the time)
  • Very weak hinge strength
I need to fix that as well.

Finally, I took a look inside the server room (which is a s*** ton of ethernet switches and a single Mac Mini for the photography club), and it's a mess. I need to tidy that up like a good subordinate.

Otherwise, school is going OK. Math homework is taking up 8 pages double-sided. RIP.