What did you do today?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
@confusis... a bit late, but
Dedicated to your camera:
F (to pay respects ;))

Started packing today for my upcoming trip to China. I'm bringing (along with my parents) 2 large suitcases of stuff to give to people in China, which will be filled with (most likely) some GPUs, some acrylic/steel (good luck getting that through airport security), and maybe a few ITX boards/CPUs.

Also, I started work on restoring my Polywell/SuperMicro server. As it turns out, the BIOS is most likely f***ed (the system doesn't complain when I have zero sticks of RAM installed, when, according to page 67 of the motherboard manual, the motherboard should be whining at me! I'll either reset the BIOS later today or rip another chip (thank God the BIOS is socketed) out from the other version of this server back at my university (assuming it's still there).

On another note, I've been checking Lenovo's website for a week now, and:
:D

Looks like a E480, it's actually the E485, with RYZEN INSIDE!! (airhorn)

Finally, I cleaned out my closet and realized 90% of the jean-type-shorts that I have don't fit anymore :p.

A.wypt

Chassis Packer
Jan 17, 2018
Work: I manage the IT infrastructure in the company. Had a aircon leak over this rack enclosure with 5 GPU server inside (8*5 1080Ti). Was leaking for half a day before anyone realize the big pool of water on the enclosure, 1 top exhaust fan drowned today. Luckily most of the leakage was contained in a keyboard on top of the enclosure. Spent the rest of the day wiping enclosure and server with paper towel.

Non Work: Anyone keep yabby as pet? I became the caretaker when my nephew brought home 1 live one from the prawning farm (Rest was cooked on the farm)

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Work: I manage the IT infrastructure in the company. Had a aircon leak over this rack enclosure with 5 GPU server inside (8*5 1080Ti). Was leaking for half a day before anyone realize the big pool of water on the enclosure, 1 top exhaust fan drowned today. Luckily most of the leakage was contained in a keyboard on top of the enclosure. Spent the rest of the day wiping enclosure and server with paper towel.

Non Work: Anyone keep yabby as pet? I became the caretaker when my nephew brought home 1 live one from the prawning farm (Rest was cooked on the farm)
They should add drainage holes to servers. Seriously.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Little early birthday present to self arrived today:

399.99 Shipped with a 1 year warranty? Yes please! B stock deal from last week. Looks immaculate. Going into the CerbX tonight.

Edit: Maybe should be in show your new toys but too late!

Edit#2.. AAAnnnd the fan has a bad bearing.. boooo EVGA QC booo. Looks like I get to test that supposedly good customer support and return/replace or refund.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
@el01
Entering China will be interesting to say the least. XD Hope Lenovo finally builds X285, T485, and Pxx systems with Ryzen.

@A.wypt
Oof never a dull day in IT, is there?

Very close to purchasing a Nintendo Switch on sale while planning this new build. Still working on testing the viability of Windows 10 at my workplace. Rather annoying to say the least.

Edit: Bought the Nintendo Switch

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
@el01
Entering China will be interesting to say the least. XD Hope Lenovo finally builds X285, T485, and Pxx systems with Ryzen.

@A.wypt
Oof never a dull day in IT, is there?

Very close to purchasing a Nintendo Switch on sale while planning this new build. Still working on testing the viability of Windows 10 at my workplace. Rather annoying to say the least.
The X285/T485 are coming out (from the rumors I've heard) in Q3, and get hyped! If only AMD made Threadripperrrrrr for mobile, then they could maybe stick one of those in a Pxx series workstation.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
@el01
I'll definitely be looking out for those. They'll cost a lot but would be worth it since I cannot find any newer X-series in my area. Closest we'll get to ThreadRipper on mobile is a highly binned Ryzen 7.

Things are not looking good for the Windows 10 deployment project. Still working on it with my boss and coworkers. Stupid specialized software. Finally opened my copy of Ys VIII. Started shopping for used parts for my next computer. RAM prices are bloody annoying. Helping a friend shop for a new phone and apartment.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Updates on random non-efficiency laboratories stuff:

I tried resetting the BIOS on the Polywell server, it didn't care one bit, so I guess I'll have to find another BIOS unit for that thing.

Soldered a power button for Project L2D :D

Also, dealt with my Windows copy being kinda messed up (error: Inaccessible boot device and the system disk turning into X:\). Oh well. I'm getting a new laptop in about a month anyways :p

Reactions: AleksandarK

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Moving the furniture back into their original spots after the painters took two days to paint the apartment earlier this week. There was so much setup involved for this since they don't do much furniture moving themselves. Now it's almost getting back to normal especially my desk. This is one of the other perks to SFF- when circumstances shuffle your place around it's very easy to move your computer and put it back where it was.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
I used our new pole saw to do some cleanup work on the live oak in our front yard. After about an hour out in the 101F/38C Texas heat, I located the wasps that stung my wife last week. Sadly, they found me first. In the face.

Thankfully, the evening is ending much better. I’m using a stuffed animal to prop up an ice bag on my face while watching Raiders of the Lost Ark with the wife. Life is pretty grand. :)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
PC decided to lock up and reboot randomly without a bluescreen nowadays ._. left it to run memtest to see if it's the RAM. not sure of my odds of which parts else would it be

I'm hoping it's one of the programs or drivers (that'd be the one with the most economical fix), but realistically speaking from what I've been reading up I'm hoping it's just the PSU. don't really want to force an early upgrade

,_,

EDIT: memtest complete, no errors. turning off hardware acceleration on a few things to see how things go

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Worked my one Saturday every two weeks at my second job. Still running into random issues with the workflow that I initially setup months or even more than a year ago failing for no reason. Getting the testing version of the new site to be automatically built and pushed to the server has me scratching my head. I'll look into it tomorrow. Looked over my budget and realized that over half of my income is going to expenses. Need to trim that. Desk is a mess with everything going on but I'm sorting it all out.

Now to watch Speed Racer again while I dream of cars (that I may never own)

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
yeah the prospect of building a car from the chassis up sounds pretty interesting to me. I used to have dreams of just hacking and packing a Bugatti Veyron engine onto the back of a truck, LOL ,_,
Reminds me of something I saw when I was bored out of my mind...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd...5-i-just-finished-putting-v8-into-my-fit.html

Today, I'm porting a ton of my personal stuff to a SD card so I can view it on my trip to China.
I literally have 6 drives connected at once
(my personal backup drive, 2 from my monitor's USB hub [16 GB and a tiny 4GB one for my music], a SD card in my laptop's dedicated slot, a micro SD card thru a camera [yes, this is getting very janky], and finally a Linux drive that I might wipe :p)

Reactions: Soul_Est