What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Once again considered getting a Mac. I feel myself growing out of gaming and have little use for my hardware.
That is an option or you could build your own as some on the forum have done. That said, having a MacBook Pro could allow you to have this. (full write-up here)

Took medical exams, been diagnosed with bilateral CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) with both loss of sensitivity and grip.

It is not to a stage that needs surgery, but have to change my working environment ergonomy quickly.
I am very sorry to read that, however, all hope is not lost. There are many ergonomic keyboards that exist. Off the top of my head, there are the IRIS, Dactyl, multiple variations of the ErgoDox, Kinesis Advantage, Mitosis, and multiple variations of the Let's Split.

Installed a console mode only Archlinux on my ultrabook. This is aimed at learning more Linux things (services, tricky command lines) and forcing myself to use Vim instead of Sublime-text.
Did that on my machine months before starting college. It really helps a lot. Be sure to try NeoVim (a streamlined fork) and Emacs (maybe with the Evil plugin?) as well.

I got married. And I secretly tested two coolers without her knowing #SFFlife
Congratulations! How would she have taken it if the testing wasn't a secret? Also, is she interested in any part of the testing procedure? If so, it would be something else you both can enjoy together.

Had a few key machines become bogged down, requiring them to be rebooted, during office hours. Glad I'm not a part of that team atm. Decided on which keyboard I will be building to replace my Obins Anne Pro. Read one of the books that I picked up when I went to the Toronto Comic Arts Festivial over the weekend. Time to draw now I guess.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I am very sorry to read that, however, all hope is not lost. There are many ergonomic keyboards that exist. Off the top of my head, there are the IRIS, Dactyl, multiple variations of the ErgoDox, Kinesis Advantage, Mitosis, and multiple variations of the Let's Split.

My thoughts, exactly. I am seriously considering building the Dactyl-ManuForm. The chassis is fully generated using an Clojure and openSCAD. You can change parameters and generate a new one on the fly, ready for 3D printing.

This is a fork of the Manuform, in a split-hand design. Its chassis being too big for regular 3D printer makes it a costy solution.

Did that on my machine months before starting college. It really helps a lot. Be sure to try NeoVim (a streamlined fork) and Emacs (maybe with the Evil plugin?) as well.

I am not a huge fan of emacs to be honest, but there's a real vim / emacs war at work lol.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
My thoughts, exactly. I am seriously considering building the Dactyl-ManuForm. The chassis is fully generated using an Clojure and openSCAD. You can change parameters and generate a new one on the fly, ready for 3D printing.

This is a fork of the Manuform, in a split-hand design. Its chassis being too big for regular 3D printer makes it a costy solution.

I am not a huge fan of emacs to be honest, but there's a real vim / emacs war at work lol.

That is pretty badass. That will definitely help your wrists. For (Neo)vim! I am going with a Planck Rev.6 Hot-Swap for myself.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
started assembling my PC proper today. took about 5 hours and I'm at the tail end with figuring out how to manage the last cable that's over everything ,_,

not sure if not filming the process would make me go faster ._. also I'm kinda burnt enough to feel like not recording the last part (thank god i wasn't doing pieces to the camera for this, i would have trashed all the footage halfway through, LOL)

taking an extended break after dinner. gotta wait for my phone to gather a substantial charge (because gopro screen)

EDIT: Gopro SD card ran out of space right at the end ._. there's that
also PC survived shell transfer! :D

Day 3 EDIT:
didn't have an external hard disk. have to LAN my timelapse footage over aaaaaand.....
2MBps, 22-ish MB images, almost 2,000 shots ,_,

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
After punching in the command in PuTTY from this guide, I was greeted with... nothing. After about 10 minutes of cursor blinken, it choose to fill my screen with text, with the small line at the top saying everything went just fine:

That looks like a typical day installing hundreds of Node packages for a full-stack web developer :p

I bought some brake fluid to top off the reservoir as my car brakes are starting to feel soft. That made things a little better and the warning light turned off, but the brakes still don't feel as good as they used to. Hopefully the fix is nothing more than a brake line replacement. I'll get a shop to check it but if it's a brake line situation and just that if I go for a DIY fix or not.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Went to the movies, Deadpool 2, which was amazeballs funny. Even the mid-credits clips (there are two) are hilarious. If you like the Marvel universe and sometimes think they need to be a tad less serious, this is exactly what you need.

I recently saw the first one and was simultaneously shocked and entertained. Definitely not for the kiddies, oh my!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I recently saw the first one and was simultaneously shocked and entertained. Definitely not for the kiddies, oh my!
but it's a family movie!

I thought there was another one, oh well could be wrong.

I don't know, I couldn't sit through after that part to be thorough because I was the last guy in the late light screening ,_,

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Still troubleshooting a very annoying stability problem in my rig (random hard-freeze, then after a force shut-down an inability to fully power on without fussing around with power and CMOS). Also managed to put an order in for the ALT over on Massdrop. I figure I might as well not faff-about in my purchases and shoot for a certain level of quality and needs-meeting.

-edit-

I made some cinnamon rolls...

Those look delicious!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Still troubleshooting a very annoying stability problem in my rig (random hard-freeze, then after a force shut-down an inability to fully power on without fussing around with power and CMOS). Also managed to put an order in for the ALT over on Massdrop. I figure I might as well not faff-about in my purchases and shoot for a certain level of quality and needs-meeting.

-edit-

Those look delicious!
ALT and GMK Laser? I like your taste.