What did you do today?

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
I remember "learning" that in university. *shudders*

Surprisingly I never had to learn it in college (CpE here). The logic is all extremely simple and it was surprisingly easy to get started, but since no one can agree on a standard I've had to model out 3 different setups for what should be the same type of relay. Just small stuff popping up that was getting annoying.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
1) Built a friend's PC. What an abomination of a system. Infested with RGB. Utilized a full-size ATX tower. Some assclown Microcenter employee gave said clueless friend an mATX board so that was sick I guess.

2) Straight up tore down and rebuilt the WORST system I've seen put together. My friend's friend had a machine with two screws keeping his motherboard held down, mismatched RAM, and the stock Intel heatsink wasn't even pushed into the motherboard and therefore wasn't making contact with the CPU. I replaced his abysmal Antec PSU with a marginally better Corsair PSU.

I don't know, man. I was about ready to vomit.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You did good, man. Those builds sound like the installers both didn’t care.

My day is going about chillaxy: sun is shining, watching the chem trail planes ruin the perfect flat blue sky, listening to BBC Radio 1’s Renee Lavice’s Drum&Bass show on the tablet. Later I’ll be grilling a pile of meat on the barbecue and have a nice Belgian Gueuze beer to wash it all down.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
1) Built a friend's PC. What an abomination of a system. Infested with RGB. Utilized a full-size ATX tower. Some assclown Microcenter employee gave said clueless friend an mATX board so that was sick I guess.

2) Straight up tore down and rebuilt the WORST system I've seen put together. My friend's friend had a machine with two screws keeping his motherboard held down, mismatched RAM, and the stock Intel heatsink wasn't even pushed into the motherboard and therefore wasn't making contact with the CPU. I replaced his abysmal Antec PSU with a marginally better Corsair PSU.

I don't know, man. I was about ready to vomit.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Watched a LTT video of hotswapping pcie cards and instantly thought of my N64 Nuc idea. Still think its a possible use-case for this kinda feature.

Also restarted the metal forge. Been a good year or so since its melted anything and I was bored. Melted some scrap aluminium and made metal cupcakes for use later. Going to try my hand at using 3d prints in the lost casting method and see how it goes (PLA and soluble).

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I'm ambivalent on Mac vs PC, LOL. for life management either is fine. for web browsing either is fine. for programs that run on both either is fine.

only thing about Macs are the kind of quality control Apple enforces on their hardware. although I get to control which hardware goes into my PC

so yeah ._. porque no los dos

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Took medical exams, been diagnosed with bilateral CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) with both loss of sensitivity and grip.

It is not to a stage that needs surgery, but have to change my working environment ergonomy quickly.

Sorry to hear that. Hope that It clears up, like my cousin's magically did. Sad that it always seems like those who do delicate work get it. Wishing you the best,

Windfall

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
get well soon @GuilleAcoustic. is it okay to ask for updates on your workspace changes to accomodate? kinda interested in case it's my turn ,_,

today:
  • installed 960EVO: so excited!
  • installed Windows X: so excited!!
  • reinstalling programs and checking runtime: so excited!!!
  • installed Intel Realsense Camera drivers for the first time and running realsense viewer to see its first image: SOOOO EXCITED!!!!!
  • preparations for a tablescale 3D scanner: SO EXCITING AAAAAAA
EDIT: shiiiiit now troubleshooting chrome session grafting. extensions not going over. ARGH.
EDITx2: okay. future reference:
  1. set up sync on old session
  2. copy/export/backup off google all chrome extension settings (e.g. adblock filter lists)
  3. close session
  4. install chrome thus starting new session
  5. log in and sync; wait for chrome to "sync"
  6. new session now missing tabs plus extension settings; themes and extensions itself should be there
  7. close new session
  8. GO TO OLD VOLUME (check drive letter): %localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
  9. COPY:
    1. Current Session
    2. Current Tabs
    3. History
    4. History Provider Cache
    5. History-Journal
    6. Last Session
    7. Last Tabs
  10. GO TO NEW VOLUME: ditto directory above (check drive letter)
  11. PASTE OVERWRITE YES
  12. open chrome: you have your tabs back
  13. go to individual extension settings: import/retune/readd each. my hard feelings are with you
  14. you have your extension and settings back
  15. log back all your web app accounts (the case for a password manager here)
  16. you have your sanity back

Last edited: