Vercold project(watercooled lowtemp slim mini-itx system)

What glass panel version you like more

• 2nd (glass bigger, than case)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

izlomdoc

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
I found the video recording button on my camera.XD
What changed now:
1) R9 nano changed to 1080ti. Nvidia VRM not fully silent too, is sad.
2) Power supply fan changed to noctua 120x15mm slim fan. Fan connected to motherboard and use 300-700 rpm curve depend CPU temp. So, no real fully semipassive case now, but now is much more silent (fan almost all time on 400 rpm), and also more cold (no save heat like was with passivemode PSU)
3)Im back to normal metal sidepart instead of glass panel. It's sad, yes. The fact is that with a glass panel the power unit used its own exhaust instead of taking fresh air from a large enough gap. After a long intensive load, the power supply unit was sufficiently heated up and, with its several times used air, warmed up the whole case. With a standard metal cover, the problem is completely absent.
Now case also in vertical mount, but is just for fun.
4) Im try nice barrow m2 ssd waterblock, is very nice, nice cool ssd, but not fit in my case.lol. :thumb:

P.s. This summer... hoooot. 35-37c in balcone zone all day (where radiator)\ 30-32c in my room.

izlomdoc

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
Long time no see! Time for some updates.

1)I made an additional hole in the motherboard tray. This allowed me to arrange the wires better, as well as (most importantly) place the power supply on the reverse side.
Having unfolded the power supply, I was able to return the glass back, as well as install a temperature sensor for the fluid inside the case.
Just little showcase current look:

2)Also, I finally took up the radiator unit, because moved to a room (-25 outside give me some problem with condensate and system stability, when hardware temp drop bellow 0c)
  • 9 120mm fans were replaced by 4 180mm Phobya G-silent. Not best choice model at all (noise on lowrpm and cheap plastic, but very nice airflow and pressure).
  • added grill and feets
  • changed ek top and reservoir to heatkiller tube 200mm. One of best imho. Nice quality, cool look and good mount with good vibration absorption mount (much less noise from pump).
Vid with fill res:
And some photos:

And ofc with Observer slim

About temps:
  • Room temp 22-23c
  • Watertemp in full load 27-29
  • CPU 3.9ghz @ 1.28v(but in load motherboard up this to 1.34)
  • GPU 1916mhz @ 0.925(just for less VRM noise)
Statistic after timespy extreme stress test

P.s. Temps in one day before move radiator unit in room:

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
Nicely done! I notice you mentioned noise from PSU, what I found to be working well is replace the stock PSU fan with something more efficient.

For example, the sf600w fan can be replaced with an noctua a9x15mm. That makes my PSU almost silent even in full load.

But I agree, VRM/coil whine is hard to get rid of

izlomdoc

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
what I found to be working well is replace the stock PSU fan with something more efficient.
Yea, im changed already on a12-15mm noctua, and now that fan control from motherboard
Stock fan is ok, not loud, problem is stock fan curve with epic jump rpm in load

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
Yea, im changed already on a12-15mm noctua, and now that fan control from motherboard
Stock fan is ok, not loud, problem is stock fan curve with epic jump rpm in load
You can't use the the thermal sensing fan control from the PSU pin? Also maybe use the low noise adapter that comes with the fan?

izlomdoc

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
You can't use the the thermal sensing fan control from the PSU pin? Also maybe use the low noise adapter that comes with the fan?
That PSU use 2pin fan and no termal fan control in curve, only powerload. Because of that that psu with stock fan can be so hot in work - when you load only CPU (in render for example), fan just stopped.
Im try low noise adapter, but this not enough for silent work (with adapter still 1400 rpm, is loud)
My curve for that fan now - 400-700 rpm depend gpu temp (highest powerdraw device in pc)

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
That PSU use 2pin fan and no termal fan control in curve, only powerload. Because of that that psu with stock fan can be so hot in work - when you load only CPU (in render for example), fan just stopped.
Im try low noise adapter, but this not enough for silent work (with adapter still 1400 rpm, is loud)
My curve for that fan now - 400-700 rpm depend gpu temp (highest powerdraw device in pc)

You can use an adapter or convert your 4-pin to 2-pin and connect onto the orginal pins on the PSU:

Or you can re-use the original 2-pin adapter and mod it to any 4-pin that you have spare:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FR84FY/?tag=theminutiae-20

You pretty much take away the PWM aspect of the noctua fan and effectively makes it a DC fan.

But from my experience going this route is that, the noctua a9 has a higher starting voltage so the PSU usually gets a bit warmer before the fan actually starts spinning. This is evident by the fact that you'd start to see the fan jitter a bit, (going back and forth, because not enough voltage is applied to the fan at lower temp/output). This leads me to believe that even though the pin-out is 2 pins (DC), there's definitely an analog fan curve built into the PSU circuit that's dependent on output/temp of the PSU.

izlomdoc

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
This leads me to believe that even though the pin-out is 2 pins (DC), there's definitely an analog fan curve built into the PSU circuit that's dependent on output/temp of the PSU.
Yea. that psu semipassive and have curve for fan (dc). Dependent only on powerdraw from PC (i didnt remember numbers, like 200-250 watt). By the way, due to the fact that the power supply fan curve is focused only on power consumption, the first batch of this model had problems with the stability of work due to overheating.
But most frustrate problem in that - start voltage for fan in curve so high. In everyday using, if you begin playing, psu fan start jumping from zero to 1000 rpm and back to zero every second. So no any reason to put fan in stock pins, because that curve useless.
Before changing fan and connect to motherboard, PSU heats up strongly (including heating the case and everything inside, turning it into a minigrill) and also had that start-stop farm problem. Now is all time cold and much less noisy, because on 300 rpm noctua is really silent(only little PWM signal noise, if you go so close) and rpm on fan almost same all time.