Log 7.6L Xproto Mini Beast: ROME-ITX, EPYC 64C, RTX3090FE, WaterCooled

mknrls

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 12, 2019
Welcome to my EPYC project... cramming as much high quality / performance wise components in a relative small open case, water-cooled it and make it one of kind 🔥

Shoutout to these SFF gurus and their amazing projects, Inspiring me to create projects of my own: @petricor @morj @Josh | NFC @REVOCCASES @guryhwa
Also a special shoutout to these friends been putting up with the updates / changes toward this project: @Damascus @Pseudonym1911 @Ikki kurogane

PC SPECS

WATERCOOLING

MISCELLANEOUS

SNEAKPEEK

Last edited:

mknrls

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 12, 2019

UPDATES​

7/29/22 - Unleashing the beast / Initial Post

IDEAS​

• Magewell Eco Capture SDI 4K Plus M.2 [ SD/HD/3G/6G/12G SDI / Support input resolution up to 4096×2160 pixels ]
  • 100Gbe NIC in the spine of the case. (seem like it could fit). Mellanox MCX556A-EDAT would amazing like it's PCIe 4.0 x16, also eyeing the MCX456A-ECA

RESOURCES​

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
This looks really great. Great component selection!
Is that a custom IO cover? it looks really nice.
I can totally relate to the super long project period, it took me over two years to finish my scratch build!
How are you planning to handle the radiator? I'm guessing a desk stand style situation?

Reactions: mknrls

mknrls

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 12, 2019
This looks really great. Great component selection!
Is that a custom IO cover? it looks really nice.
I can totally relate to the super long project period, it took me over two years to finish my scratch build!
How are you planning to handle the radiator? I'm guessing a desk stand style situation?
Thank you 🙏

The IO cover seen in the picture is actual from the same company that make the the ram heatsink cover. http://shop2.megmall.cafe24.com/category/io-protect/25/

External radiator with some kind of desk stand is the plan. Pump with quick disconnect mounted in back of the case.
Have some ideas floating around but not sure how to go about it.. dual d5 or dual ddc , and how much radiators is needed lol 😆

Reactions: Curiosity

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020

Oh yeah, I remember you mentioning this EPYC build in the making quite some time ago. Nice to see it's becoming a reality

mknrls

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 12, 2019

Oh yeah, I remember you mentioning this EPYC build in the making quite some time ago. Nice to see it's becoming a reality
Thanks for the support! Expenses is going to be an outgoing thing for this build lol

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
OK so this is really crazy and cool at the same time, the kind of thing that makes this network so interesting, I am going to be just grabbing my popcorn over here.
I am wondering if you could state some kind of a use-case for the build, and if, so, what are the kind of the benchmarks that we are looking forward to.
And of course: does this mean that we will have a new entry in the PPL thread?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
This is the nicest "overkill" build I've seen in a long time and it's so compact. And yes, this would be great for the PPL thread. You really made the most out of that open frame case.

• Love
Reactions: mknrls

mknrls

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 12, 2019
OK so this is really crazy and cool at the same time, the kind of thing that makes this network so interesting, I am going to be just grabbing my popcorn over here.
I am wondering if you could state some kind of a use-case for the build, and if, so, what are the kind of the benchmarks that we are looking forward to.
And of course: does this mean that we will have a new entry in the PPL thread?
"This really crazy and cool at the same time" Exact feeling I have every time I look this project or do research regarding it.

As for the use case will be used for music production, video editing, vm/proxmox and networking many more.
A learning platform for anything like to get into / fool around with + the benefits of upgradability like:
EPYC 3rd Gen, up to 1TB ECC Ram and find some cool use case for the SlimSAS connections.

Wink Wink... Mellanox MCX456 (100GbE Network Card) maybe in the spine of this case and some Magewell SDI 4K M.2 card ... just ideas floating around 😉
This is the nicest "overkill" build I've seen in a long time and it's so compact. And yes, this would be great for the PPL thread. You really made the most out of that open frame case.
That looks epic.
Thanks for the support! 🔥

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This looks fantastic, looking forward to seeing it progress. As other have said above, this is precisely the type of insanity that makes these forums so worth frequenting.

One worry: VRM temperatures. Those heatsinks are designed for server levels of airflow after all, and the VRMs will output quite some heat with a 280W CPU under full load. (Assuming a relatively high but reasonable 92% efficiency, that's 25W of heat to dissipate from the VRMs.) Any thoughts on cooling them better?

Reactions: mknrls and morj

mknrls

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 12, 2019
This looks fantastic, looking forward to seeing it progress. As other have said above, this is precisely the type of insanity that makes these forums so worth frequenting.

One worry: VRM temperatures. Those heatsinks are designed for server levels of airflow after all, and the VRMs will output quite some heat with a 280W CPU under full load. (Assuming a relatively high but reasonable 92% efficiency, that's 25W of heat to dissipate from the VRMs.) Any thoughts on cooling them better?
I have thought about it but not sure of the best solution. Small 40mm fans could help or custom vrm heatsink ?
If anyone has some better ideas let me know

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
I have thought about it but not sure of the best solution. Small 40mm fans could help or custom vrm heatsink ?
If anyone has some better ideas let me know

You might be able to find a waterblock that fits the VRMs, but you'll have to look around a bit.
heatkiller has a few options for vrm waterblocks. they have copper base plates that can be cut to fit the application and drilled for mounting. might be worth looking into. koolance also made some that have movable mounting arms to fit a range of mounting locations.

• Wow
Reactions: Valantar and mknrls