Fanless Ryzen+Polaris Project (edit: upgraded to Zen2 & Navi )

Raiju

Trash Compacter
May 21, 2017
Well done, our setups for the gpu look quite similar. Can you please run firestrike?

With my latest stable overclock I score 8271 for graphics (physics: 5896, total: 6631). You should get a much higher Physics (and overall) score having 8 cores and all.

My build

Here is where we differ a bit

Oh and I used the hdplex for the cpu too, only one panel since have the psu internal

Last edited:

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
Very nice builds, guys!
It's very impressive what this case can achieve. I wans't expecting the RX 570 would work in it as well as it did!
I also really liked how you put heatpipes in "series", Raiju.

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Well done, our setups for the gpu look quite similar. Can you please run firestrike?

With my latest stable overclock I score 8271 for graphics (physics: 5896, total: 6631). You should get a much higher Physics (and overall) score having 8 cores and all.

After hassle with 3.7 gigs of 3DMARK bloatware download & setup, just for you :), here it is

Note that this result is with slightly more aggressive GPU VBIOS power settings... I've increased TDP from 85W to 90W & max GPU power from 90W to 100W in my latest GPU power optimization attempt (I did decrease GPU power state clocks and voltages as well), which seems to run stable, although just slightly more hot.

My build

. . .

Here is where we differ a bit

Oh and I used the hdplex for the cpu too, only one panel since have the psu internal

Nice job with that dual pad, I wish I did the same, but had only one pipe left... BTW, greasing up the whole length of the pipe that touches the chassis body may help dissipating the heat even more quickly.

I'm totally curious how did you do that VRM MOSFETs heat-conducting part. Apparently it reaches the chassis aluminium plate. Care to share the details?

And those blue passive heat-sinks, where can one buy 'em?

Reactions: Raiju

Raiju

Trash Compacter
May 21, 2017
Thanks a bunch, I was really curious, you got a nice score there.

Grease on the heatpipe, I realized that later too looking at my own pics. I am rebuilding 1 final time so I'll do it this time. I am running the cpu die naked and need to make an adjustment to the plastic of the socket, while I am in there going to replace with a 4 core cpu.

As for the vrm's, I used a Thermalright hr-09 type-2 I had laying around and was happy I finally found a use for. It didn't quite reach the panel but the included cpu shim was perfect for overcoming that. I drilled two holes in the hr09 and bolted it to the pcb, the shim is glued on (made my own thermal glue, epoxy mixed with aluminiumoxide powder)

The blue heatsinks are from Zalman, ZM-RHS1 I think. Oh and I got a corsair sf450 in there:cool:

Reactions: Zgembo and Phuncz

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Thanks a bunch, I was really curious, you got a nice score there.

. .

As for the vrm's, I used a Thermalright hr-09 type-2 I had laying around and was happy I finally found a use for. It didn't quite reach the panel but the included cpu shim was perfect for overcoming that. I drilled two holes in the hr09 and bolted it to the pcb, the shim is glued on (made my own thermal glue, epoxy mixed with aluminiumoxide powder)

Oh, an alchemist, impressive! Doing those kinds of mixtures is way beyond my patience level.
And that HR-09 thing is from some other era, too bad nobody's selling anything similar any more :(
I've searched the whole damn Internet deep and wide in vain... Does anyone know if anything like this

can be bought for some honestly earned hard currency anywhere?

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Time to finalize this build log...

After playing for days with Sapphire Pulse RX570 ITX VBIOS modding, I've got to the the point of what I think is an optimal balance between card power usage and performance under thermal conditions for this build. I've set the max VBIOS power to 85W, but also had it under-volted to its limits, as well as under-clocked in higher power states. I had to learn how to adjust power states voltages, down-clock hem, even adding proper VDDC voltage offset registers to the VBIOS from scratch, not to mention adding special UEFI GOP. An interesting learning experience, indeed, if one don't mind the risk of bricking a brand new and by no means cheap graphics card...

I did expect to go through this kind of hassle when I decided to go with Sapphire R750 ITX, but for those that may to build similar system without any such worries, properly sized RX560 or even GTX1050 might be much better choice. Same can be said for CPU, perhaps a Ryzen 1600 would never even reach the throttling point in this setup?

That said, here are some final touches I did to my black obelisk build... One final metal mod had to be done to officialize the friendship between Stracom chassis and HDPlex PSU. Two small holes were needed on the power lid plate provided in the chassis set so that Strecom and HDPlex can stick happily together for the rest of the lifetime of this box.

The lid plate fitted nicely, as can be seen from below.

Finally, I added a pair of Plextor SSDs, both tightened to a single DB6 metal bracket.

Because the aluminium heat blocks are now firmly attached to all four sides of a main chassis body, there is little room left for hard drives, which is exactly the reason I'm using single bracket for two drives. But with careful placement, there is just enough space left for one more such pair if needed. In that sense DB4 is really remarkable, even in this hybrid and highly cramped setup I could have had added total 5 storage devices (1x M.2 below the MB & 4x 2.5 inch SSDs) if I really wanted to.

That is it, after all pieces put together, this is what the final "product" looks like...

And how does this thing run? I've just played Witcher 3 for about 3 hours, with all graphics settings maxed out @ 1920x1080, it runs very smooth... Under that kind of load the GPU temp never went over 74C, and the CPU never above 70C. These longer running loads makes the chassis dissipate the heat nicely an evenly across the surface, although when touching certain parts of the aluminium heat-sinks one can feel as if it almost going to burn your fingertips. The only things that worries me a bit, temperature-wise, are VRM heat-sinks, on both MB & graphics card. Both have just a small passive heat-sinks now, which by no means conduct the heat outside of the chassis. I wonder if there is some relatively simple way to connect them to the chassis with at least a sole heat-pipe... Suggestions are more than welcome!

During this quiet night Witcher 3 session, especially when rendering some graphics intensive scenes, there was this barely audible fan noise coming from the case... ?!? Wait, what fan noise? Yep, it was definitely a noise, not coming from some non-existing ghost fan, but from Sapphire RX570 ITX VRM coils. Surprisingly, the coil whine on that thing is really obvious, especially on a quiet night with minimum ambient noise. It is also inconsistent, so it is worse when the card is under heavy load, and it sometimes sings in somewhat annoying synth-punk-like patterns. I bet it could be heard even if that stock GPU fan was on (BTW, a stock fan WAS pretty quiet when I tried it, even under load). The coil whine got little less obvious when I further under-volted the card, but I still have to learn how to live with it. Luckily, there are absolutely no audible coil whine coming from motherboard or PSU or GPU when graphics is idle, no matter how high the CPU load is. Biostar B350GTN MB and HDPlex DC PSU are quiet as they can be, it is only the Sapphire that becomes somewhat noisy under graphics intensive loads, benchmarks especially.

In Linux I have still to run workloads that would bring the temperatures significantly up, under standard desktop activities the chassis was uncompromisingly nice & cool & quiet, like I always wanted these things to be :)

Overall subjective impression; I'm happy with this black box, hope it would serve me for years to come.

Last edited:

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
For GPU I used some cheap aluminium heatsinks I found in random Akiba shop, and they already come with a thin layer of adhesive. I think this is the weakest part in my build, ideally those VRMs should be heat-piped to the chassis plates, like @Raiju did. I simply couldn't find an appropriate way to fix a heat-pipe to VRMs (not that I tried too hard).

Raiju

Trash Compacter
May 21, 2017
I got a pm from Kooki asking about the sf450 I used. Here is what I did:

I mounted motherboard standoffs on one of the panels

The thick pad that comes with the case was perfect for the vrm's

nice contact with panel

And I glued on some heatsink just to be sure

This case is running 24/7 since mining eth lol no overheating issues what so ever.

I use the igpu for monitor so I don't notice anything

Lisao

What's an ITX?
Jul 17, 2017
You inspired me to make a simular build.. great work!

Could you go more into detail of how you did the VBIOS modding of the RX570? Are there any easy instructions an beginner could follow?

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
You inspired me to make a simular build.. great work!

Could you go more into detail of how you did the VBIOS modding of the RX570? Are there any easy instructions an beginner could follow?
A bunch of VBIOS mod iterations... First i just spent some time in soft underclocking / undervolting in Windoze, looking for power/thermal/performance sweet-spot. Once I had that, I fired polaris bios editor and and set the power states clocks and voltages to those sweet spot values and flashed that to the card. Next step was to restrict TDP & Watt limits. Finally, I added the power offset datastructure to the VBIOS, but this didn't provide very significant benefit, and is pretty complex operation.

One can get some education about the process at http://www.overclock.net/t/1604567/polaris-bios-editing-rx5xx-rx4xx. And most importantly, there is a risk involved into VBIOS modding, so be careful & do proper backup.

Reactions: Phuncz

WildWhite

Efficiency Noob
Sep 18, 2017
A bunch of VBIOS mod iterations... First i just spent some time in soft underclocking / undervolting in Windoze, looking for power/thermal/performance sweet-spot. Once I had that, I fired polaris bios editor and and set the power states clocks and voltages to those sweet spot values and flashed that to the card. Next step was to restrict TDP & Watt limits. Finally, I added the power offset datastructure to the VBIOS, but this didn't provide very significant benefit, and is pretty complex operation.

One can get some education about the process at http://www.overclock.net/t/1604567/polaris-bios-editing-rx5xx-rx4xx. And most importantly, there is a risk involved into VBIOS modding, so be careful & do proper backup.

So how has this setup turned out? It seems like something I want to do, with a ryzen and probably a gtx 1050/1060 or something good under 300.

I have been looking at other high powered passive solutions, the calyos is to abit to large im my thoughts.

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
So how has this setup turned out? It seems like something I want to do, with a ryzen and probably a gtx 1050/1060 or something good under 300.

I have been looking at other high powered passive solutions, the calyos is to abit to large im my thoughts.

Ever since being built, the box is up ~10 hours of the day on average, mostly used for standard net browsing and playing videos, some heavy rendering, occasional maxed-out dual-monitor 1080p gaming and emulators (Super Mario @ Dolphin @ 1080 makes the temps go above idle for only 3-4C). Linux is running great, ever since I RMA-ed the CPU due to the infamous Ryzen segfault issue. The idle temp is @ ~42C (both CPU & GPU), VRMs @ 55C and the M2 SATA drive @ 60C. I've put 4 SSDs in the box, one pair in RAID1, and other two stand-alone. The two SSDs that actually do report the temperature under Linux, sais they are at 60C when idle.

And the level of the noise it (does not) make is priceless. I'm pretty happy with the thing.

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
I got a pm from Kooki asking about the sf450 I used. Here is what I did:

I mounted motherboard standoffs on one of the panels

The thick pad that comes with the case was perfect for the vrm's

nice contact with panel

And I glued on some heatsink just to be sure

This is beautiful.
The PSU looks much tinier. lol

lebodaryo

What's an ITX?
Dec 10, 2017
Thanks so much for this write up. I'm thinking of doing something very similar for an office build.
Knowing what you know now and considering the new hardware that's come out since you did this, would you have used any other parts for this build?
You mentioned Biostar not allowing under-volting so maybe a different MB.
The GPU seems like something to think about.

Thanks again.

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
A small follow-up;

Biostar B350GTN with its latest UEFI update (B35AK807) allows setting "CPU Core Voltage" to four mysterious "Negative voltage 1, 2, 3, 4"! These options come in three colours; white, yellow and 2 x red, apparently indicating the expected stability. I've set my system to "not-the-most-negative" red value, and voilà, now my R7 1700 runs colder then ever...

This new UEFI release thing motivated me to try playing with RAM clocks a bit, tried my kit's 3200MHz XMP profile, and it worked on first attempt. It made the SoC significantly hotter though, because it sets the RAM voltage slightly above 1.35V I guess. I've tried few manual RAM settings, finally settling at 2933MHz and bit less than +0.05V increase in DDR Memory Voltage department, timings set to 14-14-14-34.

I threw 3-hours of prime95 against these settings, and it worked stable as a rock.

A month or two ago, I somehow managed to enable Wake-on-LAN on this board (hint: ErP Control: Disabled, PME Wake up from S5: Enabled, PS2 Keyboard PowerOn: Enabled), and it even worked in Linux (using r8168 driver with s5wol=1 option). It is really amazing what this cheap little Biostar ITX board can do, and I guess X370GTN or X470GTN can only be better if not the same.

Kudos to Biostar!

Last edited:

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
A bit bigger follow-up:

I've upgraded the system with
Not that the new motherboard was really needed, but ASRock ITX got really cheap overhere, and I needed some place to put the "old" CPU and GPU into. ASRock ITX is good motherboard, but it's BIOS is super confusing and counter-intuitive... The 3700X was an obvious upgrade choice after almost 3 years, but the real trigger for this upgrade was the fact that PowerColor released ITX variant of 5700! I have to say that this card is a real gem, I could down-volt the thing significantly, and at 100W limit it works flawlessly, at least twice as faster than the "old" RX570.

The upgrade itself was to be pretty smooth, but I had to go extra mile because of the PowerColor 5700 ITX PCB layout, namely the placement of some inductors. I had to file a corner off the HDPLEX GPU heat-sink copper plate so it could fit properly, one inductor was in the way (lower left corner on the picture below):

Anyway, after lots & lots of filing work, thermal paste squeezing & under-volt tuning, everything works pretty good, temps are under check, the overall system feels smooth as silk. In hope I don't have to touch this again in the following 3 years or so...

Last edited: