duq

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Some weeks weeks ago I tried to build the following:

CASE: Sliger Conswole
CPU: Ryzen 3600
MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi
COOLER: Cryorig C1 (top blower, 74mm, 628g, 140x140x13mm fan at 1300rpm max.)
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 3600 MHz (XMP enabled)
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1070 overclocked at near 2000 MHz
CASE FANS: 2x NF A12x15 PWM (max. 1850 rpm )
TEMPS:
Cinebench, all fans at max, 80°C

Ambient temps 22-24°C.

I tried hard to tweak the fan curves but temps repeatedly reached 80-ish range for long enough even while surfing so the fans would ultimately spin up on every fan curve, which was very annoying. I had some ideas (undervolting, limiting top fan speeds, underclocking), but then I imagined a hot summer and just sent the Ryzen+MB back.

Now I have:

CASE: same
CPU: i5 10400F at 4.100 MHz (ASRock Base Frequency Boost enabled on auto)
MB: ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac
COOLER: same
RAM: same (XMP enabled)
GPU: same
CASE FANS: same
TEMPS:
Cinebench all fans 550rpm.: 70°C
Cinebench all fans 800rpm.: 60°C

The CPU temps are ridiculously low: 10400F Cinebench scores are expectedly lower than R3600 Cinebench, but at games that I play the CPU is very far from bottle-necking.

Now I am absolutely satisfied with performance and temps and fan speeds, but I need an afterwards sanity check :)

1.) Have I got a bad Ryzen chip or is this what I should have expected? I knew that Ryzen can have temp problems due to high density / low dissipation area, but I hadn't realized until now how extreme the problem is (in comparison to Intel). Is anybody running a Ryzen 3600 with top fan speeds under 800 rpm and a cooler under 135 mm, like Ncase M1? What tweaking should be done to achieve that? Somewhere I read that Ryzen gets much hotter when using RAM at higher speeds, is that what happened to me? Was the MB maybe "overvolting" Ryzen?

2.) Intel 10th gen should have better temps due to thinner die. Can anybody already confirm my range of temps for the 10th gen? Was i7-8700 in the same range? I'm not an Intel fanboy at all, but this looks so cool now. For the first time I think that silent/nearsilent/semipassive gaming PC is doable practically on stock in SFF.

3.) Comparing Cryorig C1 with sth. like Scythe Big Shuriken 3 or Noctua NH-L12S it should be the better cooler (bigger, heavier, more heatpipes), but how much really? I think I should get comparable temps (maybe sth. like 70° at Cinebench with fans at 800rpm in a sandwich case) with Big Shuriken 3, or am I wrong?

I want to use that Conswole in the living room, so now would like to have a case with much lower case height (maybe sandwich style) with comparable specs, temps and fan speeds as my desktop gaming PC. Which one would you recommend?